E Anne Millman
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- Patient-assisted incident reporting: including the patient in patient safetyE Anne Millman
Department of Quality Management, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Patient Saf 7:106-8. 2011..The methodology for obtaining and using this information to enhance understanding of the event and to inform prevention strategies is described...
- Operating room teamwork among physicians and nurses: teamwork in the eye of the beholderMartin A Makary
Department of Surgery and Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Am Coll Surg 202:746-52. 2006..Although efforts to improve patient safety through improving teamwork are growing, there is no validated tool to scientifically measure teamwork in the surgical setting...
- Human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis testing and prevalence among surgical patients in an urban university hospitalEric S Weiss
Department of Surgery, John Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Surg 193:55-60. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the surgical setting as a potential opportunity for early diagnosis of HIV, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C among trauma and non-trauma patients...
- Sharpless surgery: a prospective study of the feasibility of performing operations using non-sharp techniques in an urban, university-based surgical practiceMartin A Makary
Department of Surgery, John Hopkins University School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
World J Surg 30:1224-9. 2006..Percutaneous injuries occur frequently during surgical procedures and represent a significant occupational hazard to operating room personnel...
- Diffusion into use of exenatide for glucose control in diabetes mellitus: a retrospective cohort study of a new therapyJodi B Segal
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Clin Ther 29:1784-94. 2007..Exenatide was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in April 2005 as adjunctive therapy to metformin or a sulfonylurea for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM)...
- Surgical specimen identification errors: a new measure of quality in surgical careMartin A Makary
Department of Surgery, Center for Surgical Outcomes Research, John Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Surgery 141:450-5. 2007..The extent to which these errors occur is poorly quantified. We designed a study to measure the incidence and type of specimen identification errors in the surgical patient population...
- Patient safety in surgeryMartin A Makary
Department of Surgery, John Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Ann Surg 243:628-32; discussion 632-5. 2006..Patient safety initiatives aimed at creating a safe operating room (OR) culture are increasingly being adopted, but a reliable means of measuring their impact on front-line providers does not exist...