Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Income inequality, illiteracy rate, and life expectancy in BrazilErick Messias
Bloomberg School of Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1294-6. 2003..This study assesses the relationship between income disparities and life expectancy in Brazil and measures the impact of illiteracy rates on the association...
- Season of birth and schizophrenia in Northeast Brazil: relationship to rainfallErick Messias
School of Medicine, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza CE, Brazil
J Nerv Ment Dis 194:870-3. 2006..03) and 4 months (p = 0.01) later. This study corroborates findings of a significant seasonality in schizophrenia births in northeast Brazil...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease: a systematic reviewChristine A Szekely
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neuroepidemiology 23:159-69. 2004..The purpose of this meta-analysis is to summarize and evaluate available evidence regarding exposure to nonaspirin NSAIDs and risk of Alzheimer's disease using meta-analyses of published studies...
- Summer birth and deficit schizophrenia: a pooled analysis from 6 countriesErick Messias
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:985-9. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: Deficit schizophrenia has a season of birth pattern that differs from that of nondeficit schizophrenia. This analysis supports the notion of a separate disease within schizophrenia...
- Suspiciousness and alcohol use disorders in schizophreniaErick Messias
Preventive Medicine Residency Program, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Mental Hygiene, Johns Hopkins University, Hygiene Building Room WB-608, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 191:387-90. 2003..Further studies should attempt to investigate the temporal relationship between suspiciousness and alcohol problems. Interventions that address suspiciousness may decrease the risk of alcohol problems in this population...
- Comorbidity of medical illnesses among adults with serious mental illness who are receiving community psychiatric servicesJoseph Sokal
Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:421-7. 2004..The odds of diabetes, lung diseases, and liver problems are particularly elevated. These findings underscore the need for intensified preventive health interventions and medical services for this population...
- A comparison of type 2 diabetes outcomes among persons with and without severe mental illnessesLisa B Dixon
Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 685 West Baltimore Street, MSTF 300, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Psychiatr Serv 55:892-900. 2004....
- Schizoid-like features and season of birth in a nonpatient sampleBrian Kirkpatrick
Department of Psychiatry and Health Behavior, Medical College of Georgia, 997 St Sebastian Way, 1515 Pope Av, Augusta, GA, USA
Schizophr Res 103:151-5. 2008....