Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Impact of a preventive intervention for perinatal depression on mood regulation, social support, and copingTamar Mendelson
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway 615 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD, USA
Arch Womens Ment Health 16:211-8. 2013..Assessment of intervention effects on proximal outcomes is beneficial for understanding how interventions may enhance protective factors relevant to successful long-term outcomes...
- Feasibility and preliminary outcomes of a school-based mindfulness intervention for urban youthTamar Mendelson
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 38:985-94. 2010..Findings suggest the intervention was attractive to students, teachers, and school administrators and that it had a positive impact on problematic responses to stress including rumination, intrusive thoughts, and emotional arousal...
- Associations of maternal psychological factors with umbilical and uterine blood flowTamar Mendelson
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 32:3-9. 2011..This study characterised the progression of umbilical and uterine blood flow resistance in healthy pregnancies and evaluated concurrent and longitudinal associations with maternal anxiety and other psychological factors...
- Affective and cardiovascular effects of experimentally-induced social statusTamar Mendelson
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Psychol 27:482-9. 2008..This study used experimental methods to test the hypothesis that subordinate social status per se causes psychological distress and cardiovascular arousal...
- Depression among Latinos in the United States: a meta-analytic reviewTamar Menselson
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 76:355-66. 2008..Findings are examined in the context of theories on vulnerability and resilience, and recommendations for future research are discussed...
- Relation of female gender and low socioeconomic status to internalizing symptoms among adolescents: a case of double jeopardy?Tamar Mendelson
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:1284-96. 2008....
- Preventing perinatal depression in low-income home visiting clients: a randomized controlled trialS Darius Tandon
School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 79:707-12. 2011..To assess the efficacy of a 6-week cognitive-behavioral intervention in preventing the onset of perinatal depression and reducing depressive symptoms among low-income women in home visitation programs...
- Associations between depressive and anxious symptoms and prenatal alcohol useJulie A Leis
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, 200 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Matern Child Health J 16:1304-11. 2012..Further research into the impact of symptoms of depression and anxiety on binge drinking during pregnancy is needed as this could represent an opportunity for public health intervention...
- Perceptions of mental health services among low-income, perinatal African-American womenJulie A Leis
Department of Pediatrics, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Womens Health Issues 21:314-9. 2011..The objective of this qualitative study was to explore perceptions of mental health services as a barrier to service use among low-income, urban, perinatal African-American clients of home visiting programs...
- Intergenerational transmission of psychopathology: minor versus major parental depressionJulie A Leis
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 198:356-61. 2010..These findings suggest that parental depressive symptoms that do not meet major depressive disorder criteria may nevertheless have significant adverse associations with offspring mental health...
- Physiological blunting during pregnancy extends to induced relaxationJanet A Dipietro
Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health, 615 N Wolfe St, W1033, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, United States
Biol Psychol 89:14-20. 2012..Findings support non-specific blunting of physiological responsivity during pregnancy...
- Associations between maternal mental health and child emotional and behavioral problems: does prenatal mental health matter?Julie A Leis
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 200 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD, 21287, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 42:161-71. 2014..These findings highlight the need for additional clinical and research attention to the prenatal period and to both maternal depression and anxiety. ..
- Factors associated with mental health services use among disconnected African-American young adult populationPallab K Maulik
Center for Adolescent Health, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, 615 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 38:205-20. 2011..Findings illustrate the need to develop seamless mental health services for vulnerable young adults in multiple contexts, including the criminal justice system...
- A systematic review of home-based interventions to prevent and treat postpartum depressionJulie A Leis
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD, 21205, USA
Arch Womens Ment Health 12:3-13. 2009..These include identification of mediators and moderators of intervention efficacy, exploring strategies for prevention of PPD, and targeting high-risk groups...
- Childhood emotional invalidation and adult psychological distress: the mediating role of emotional inhibitionElizabeth D Krause
Department of Psychology, Social and Health Sciences, Duke University, Box 90085, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Child Abuse Negl 27:199-213. 2003..To evaluate a model in which chronic emotional inhibition mediates the relationship between a history of childhood emotional invalidation or abuse and adult psychological distress...
- Dialectical behavior therapy for depressed older adults: a randomized pilot studyThomas R Lynch
Duke University Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27704, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 11:33-45. 2003..Authors assessed the benefits of augmenting medication with group psychotherapy...