Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Interpreting female genital cutting: moving beyond the impasseL Leonard
Johns Hopkins University, School of Public Health, 615 N Wolfe Street, Room 7142, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Annu Rev Sex Res 11:158-90. 2000..Strategies for approaching the study of female genital cutting are presented as ways to bring fresh perspectives to the literature and to move discussion of female genital cutting beyond the current impasse...
- How physicians test: clinical practice guidelines and HIV screening practices with adolescent patientsLori Leonard
Department of Health, Behavioral and Society, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 22:538-45. 2010..Both physicians and their adolescent patients continue to test based on risk assessments...
- Where there is no state: household strategies for the management of illness in ChadLori Leonard
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Soc Sci Med 61:229-43. 2005..Whether and how the experiences of the low-income households described in this paper will be impacted by the public investment of oil revenues in the health sector is the question our longitudinal study is designed to address...
- Possible illnesses: assessing the health impacts of the Chad Pipeline ProjectLori Leonard
Department of International Health, The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Bull World Health Organ 81:427-33. 2003..Rather than providing data on the extent to which harm has been mitigated by corporate, state, and donor activities, self-reports show the possibilities of illness in local contexts...
- "Looking for children": the search for fertility among the Sara of southern ChadLori Leonard
Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, USA
Med Anthropol 21:79-112. 2002....
- Poverty and sexual concurrency: a case study of STI riskEmma K Tsui
Department of Health, Behavior and Society, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 19:758-77. 2008..The data we present show the limits of this concept, and suggest that structural reforms, including improvements to education, drug treatment, and work opportunities, are necessary to reduce racial disparities in STI rates...
- The clinic and elsewhere: illness, sexuality, and social experience among young African American men in Baltimore, MarylandTodd Meyers
Johns Hopkins University School of Arts and Sciences, Department of Anthropology, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Cult Med Psychiatry 28:67-86. 2004..The paper signals a number of issues absent in clinical and epidemiological depictions of vulnerability, particularly in the context of the urban United States...
- Persons, Places, and times: the meanings of repetition in an STD clinicLori Leonard
Department of Health, Behavior and Society, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, USA
Med Anthropol Q 21:154-68. 2007....
- A community level syphilis prevention programme: outcome data from a controlled trialM W Ross
WHO Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, School of Public Health, University of Texas, PO Box 20036, Houston, TX 77225, USA
Sex Transm Infect 80:100-4. 2004..This study investigated the impact of a small media campaign to reduce syphilis through testing, treatment, and condom use in two urban predominantly African-American communities with high syphilis rates...
- Condom use among high-risk adolescents: anticipation of partner disapproval and less pleasure associated with not using condomsLarry K Brown
Rhode Island Hospital, CORO West, Ste 204, 1 Hoppin St, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Public Health Rep 123:601-7. 2008..We determined the association of demographic, psychosocial, and contextual factors with condom use among a large community sample of at-risk adolescents recruited from four locations in the U.S...
- Suicide attempt and sexual risk behavior: relationship among adolescentsChristopher D Houck
Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center and Brown Medical School, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Arch Suicide Res 12:39-49. 2008..A history of suicidal behavior can be identified by clinicians and appears to be an important marker for sexual risk, which may represent an expression of emotional distress or a passive form of self-injury for suicidal adolescents...
- HIV and housing assistance in four U.S. cities: variations in local experienceAlison Scott
Georgia Southern University, Jiann Ping Hsu College of Public Health, Statesboro, GA 30460, USA
AIDS Behav 11:140-8. 2007..It also highlights the importance of understanding local contexts when designing housing interventions at both the individual and structural levels...