Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Impact of energy intake, physical activity, and population-wide weight loss on cardiovascular disease and diabetes mortality in Cuba, 1980-2005Manuel Franco
Department of Epidemiology and Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Epidemiol 166:1374-80. 2007..These results suggest that population-wide measures designed to reduce energy stores, without affecting nutritional sufficiency, may lead to declines in diabetes and cardiovascular disease prevalence and mortality...
- Traffic-related air pollution exposures and changes in heart rate variability in Mexico City: a panel studyKyra Naumoff Shields
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Pittsburgh, Bridgeside Point I, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Environ Health 12:7. 2013....
- Prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in the United States: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994Mariana Lazo
Am J Epidemiol 178:38-45. 2013..Our results extend previous national estimates of the prevalence of NAFLD in the US population and highlight the burden of this disease. Men, Mexican Americans, and people with diabetes and obesity are the most affected groups...
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and mortality among US adults: prospective cohort studyMariana Lazo
Department of Epidemiology, The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
BMJ 343:d6891. 2011..To evaluate the association between non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and all cause and cause specific mortality in a representative sample of the US general population...
- Effect of a 12-month intensive lifestyle intervention on hepatic steatosis in adults with type 2 diabetesMariana Lazo
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Diabetes Care 33:2156-63. 2010..Weight loss through lifestyle changes is recommended for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). However, its efficacy in patients with type 2 diabetes is unproven...
- The epidemiology of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a global perspectiveMariana Lazo
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Semin Liver Dis 28:339-50. 2008..New strategies for the prevention, diagnosis, and management will be required to alter the course of this disease...
- Patterns and predictors of changes in adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy: longitudinal study of men and womenMariana Lazo
Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Epidemiology, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:1377-85. 2007..Adherence to therapy is a dynamic behavior. However, few studies have identified factors associated with changes in adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) among men and women...
- Brief communication: clinical implications of short-term variability in liver function test resultsMariana Lazo
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2223, USA
Ann Intern Med 148:348-52. 2008..Clinicians sometimes order liver tests as part of a screening examination or general work-up. Current guidelines do not recommend routine retesting of abnormal results in asymptomatic patients...
- Examining a bidirectional association between depressive symptoms and diabetesSherita Hill Golden
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
JAMA 299:2751-9. 2008..Depressive symptoms are associated with development of type 2 diabetes, but it is unclear whether type 2 diabetes is a risk factor for elevated depressive symptoms...
- Low glycated hemoglobin and liver disease in the U.S. populationAndrea L Christman
Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Diabetes Care 34:2548-50. 2011..To characterize the association of low HbA(1c) values (<4.0%) with liver enzymes and steatosis...
- Diagnostic accuracy and reliability of ultrasonography for the detection of fatty liver: a meta-analysisRuben Hernaez
Department of Medicine The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Hepatology 54:1082-90. 2011..Because of its low cost, safety, and accessibility, ultrasound is likely the imaging technique of choice for screening for fatty liver in clinical and population settings...
- Effect of problem-solving-based diabetes self-management training on diabetes control in a low income patient sampleFelicia Hill-Briggs
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Gen Intern Med 26:972-8. 2011..Diabetes self-management support interventions are needed that are effective in engaging lower income patients, addressing competing life priorities and barriers to self-care, and facilitating behavior change...
- Availability of healthy foods and dietary patterns: the Multi-Ethnic Study of AtherosclerosisManuel Franco
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 89:897-904. 2009..Inadequate availability of healthy foods may be a barrier to achieving recommended diets...
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease across ethno-racial groups: do Asian-American adults represent a new at-risk population?James H Tabibian
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:501-9. 2011..We explored clinical, laboratory, and histological features of NAFLD as well as risk factors for histologically advanced disease among under-represented ethno-racial groups...
- Association Between Variants in or Near PNPLA3, GCKR, and PPP1R3B With Ultrasound-Defined Steatosis Based on Data From the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveyRuben Hernaez
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland Department of Medicine, Washington Hospital Center Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, District of Columbia Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 11:1183-1190.e2. 2013....
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: response to TACE assessed with semiautomated volumetric and functional analysis of diffusion-weighted and contrast-enhanced MR imaging dataSusanne Bonekamp
Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 601 N Caroline St, JHOC 4240, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Radiology 260:752-61. 2011....
- Development and pilot evaluation of literacy-adapted diabetes and CVD education in urban, diabetic African AmericansFelicia Hill-Briggs
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1491-4. 2008..Despite prevalent low literacy nationally, empirical research on the development and testing of literacy-adapted patient education remains limited...
- NH2-Terminal Pro-Brain Natriuretic Peptide and Risk of DiabetesMariana Lazo
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
Diabetes 62:3189-93. 2013..001). This inverse association was robust across sex, race, and obesity subgroups. Our results extend animal studies and support a direct and important metabolic role of BNP in humans. ..
- Better health statistics: the Cuban experienceMariana Lazo
Lancet 367:985-6. 2006