Genomes and Genes
Richard L Huganir
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- LagerlÃ¶f O, Slocomb J, Hong I, Aponte Y, Blackshaw S, Hart G, et al. The nutrient sensor OGT in PVN neurons regulates feeding. Science. 2016;351:1293-6 pubmed publisher..These results identify O-GlcNAcylation in ?CaMKII neurons of the PVN as an important molecular mechanism that regulates feeding behavior. ..
- Gu Y, Chiu S, Liu B, Wu P, Delannoy M, Lin D, et al. Differential vesicular sorting of AMPA and GABAA receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E922-31 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal vesicular sorting mechanisms controlling the constitutive exocytosis of AMPA and GABAA receptors, which are critical for the regulation of excitatory and inhibitory responses in neurons. ..
- Roth R, Zhang Y, Huganir R. Dynamic imaging of AMPA receptor trafficking in vitro and in vivo. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2017;45:51-58 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss key studies and approaches using dynamic imaging to visualize AMPA receptor trafficking in vitro as well as imaging synaptic proteins, including AMPA receptors, in vivo. ..
- Diering G, Nirujogi R, Roth R, Worley P, Pandey A, Huganir R. Homer1a drives homeostatic scaling-down of excitatory synapses during sleep. Science. 2017;355:511-515 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that homeostatic scaling-down, a global form of synaptic plasticity, is active during sleep to remodel synapses and participates in the consolidation of contextual memory. ..
- Gu Y, Huganir R. Identification of the SNARE complex mediating the exocytosis of NMDA receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:12280-12285 pubmed..Our study uncovers the postsynaptic function of the SNAP25-VAMP1-syntaxin4 complex in mediating the constitutive exocytosis of NMDA receptors, suggesting that this SNARE complex is involved in excitatory synaptic transmission. ..
- Goldschmidt H, Tu Sekine B, Volk L, Anggono V, Huganir R, Raben D. DGKÎ¸ Catalytic Activity Is Required for Efficient Recycling of Presynaptic Vesicles at Excitatory Synapses. Cell Rep. 2016;14:200-7 pubmed publisher..Our data establish a role for DGK catalytic activity at the presynaptic nerve terminal in SV recycling. Altogether, these data suggest that DGKÎ¸ supports synaptic transmission during periods of elevated neuronal activity. ..
- Hussain N, Thomas G, Luo J, Huganir R. Regulation of AMPA receptor subunit GluA1 surface expression by PAK3 phosphorylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E5883-90 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data delineate a novel signal cascade regulating AMPAR trafficking that may contribute to the molecular mechanisms that govern learning and cognition. ..
- Toda A, Huganir R. Regulation of AMPA receptor phosphorylation by the neuropeptide PACAP38. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:6712-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the neuropeptide PACAP38 inversely regulates the phosphorylation of two distinct sites on GluA1 and may play an important role modulating AMPAR function and synaptic plasticity in the brain. ..
- Volk L, Chiu S, Sharma K, Huganir R. Glutamate synapses in human cognitive disorders. Annu Rev Neurosci. 2015;38:127-49 pubmed publisher..We first present a brief overview of glutamatergic synapses and then explore the genetic and phenotypic evidence for altered glutamate signaling in ID, ASD, and SCZ. ..
- Diering G, Gustina A, Huganir R. PKA-GluA1 coupling via AKAP5 controls AMPA receptor phosphorylation and cell-surface targeting during bidirectional homeostatic plasticity. Neuron. 2014;84:790-805 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that AMPARs scale differentially based on their phosphorylation status at S845. These results show that rearrangement in PKA signaling controls AMPAR phosphorylation and surface targeting during homeostatic plasticity. ..
- Hussain N, Diering G, Sole J, Anggono V, Huganir R. Sorting Nexin 27 regulates basal and activity-dependent trafficking of AMPARs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:11840-5 pubmed publisher..Loss of SNX27 abolishes recruitment of surface AMPARs during chemical LTP. Collectively, our data suggest a role for SNX27 in modulating synaptic plasticity through regulated interaction with AMPARs. ..