Hector Hugo Garcia
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Hector Hugo García: promoting research on cysticercosis in PeruBarbara Fraser
Lancet 370:1604. 2007
- Zoonotic helminth infections of humans: echinococcosis, cysticercosis and fascioliasisHector H Garcia
Department of Microbiology, School of Sciences, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Curr Opin Infect Dis 20:489-94. 2007..This review summarizes current knowledge on clinical and epidemiologic aspects of zoonotic disease caused by tissue helminths...
- Cysticercosis of the central nervous system: how should it be managed?Hector H Garcia
Department of Microbiology, Center for Global Health Tumbes, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Curr Opin Infect Dis 24:423-7. 2011..Understanding of the main clinical presentations (dependent on number, location, size, and stage of parasites, as well as on the immune response of the host) allows a better view of treatment options and expected outcomes...
- Clinical symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of neurocysticercosisHector H Garcia
Cysticercosis Unit, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Neurologicas, Lima, Peru Centre for Global Health Tumbes and Department of Microbiology, School of Sciences, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru Electronic address
Lancet Neurol 13:1202-15. 2014..Clinical investigations are focused on development of effective treatments and reduction of side-effects induced by treatment, such as seizures, hydrocephalus, infarcts, and neuroinjury. ..
- Efficacy of combined antiparasitic therapy with praziquantel and albendazole for neurocysticercosis: a double-blind, randomised controlled trialHector H Garcia
Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Neurologicas, Lima, Peru Department of Microbiology, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru Center for Global Health Tumbes, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru Electronic address
Lancet Infect Dis 14:687-95. 2014..We added an increased dose albendazole group to establish a potential effect of increased albendazole concentrations...
- Taenia solium cysticercosis hotspots surrounding tapeworm carriers: clustering on human seroprevalence but not on seizuresAndres G Lescano
United States Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Public Health Training Program AGL and Virology Program SMM, Lima, Peru
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e371. 2009..We assessed the clustering patterns of Taenia solium human cysticercosis seropositivity and seizures around tapeworm carriers in seven rural communities in Peru...
- Neurocysticercosis: is serology useful in the absence of brain imaging?Hector H Garcia
Cysticercosis Unit, Instituto de Ciencias Neurologicas, Lima, Peru
Trop Med Int Health 17:1014-8. 2012....
- The effect on cardiovascular risk factors of migration from rural to urban areas in Peru: PERU MIGRANT StudyJ Jaime Miranda
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 9:23. 2009..Thus the Peruvian context offers a unique opportunity to test the effects of migration...
- A trial of antiparasitic treatment to reduce the rate of seizures due to cerebral cysticercosisHector H Garcia
Department of Transmissible Diseases, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Neurologicas, Barrios Altos, Lima, Peru
N Engl J Med 350:249-58. 2004..Neurocysticercosis is the main cause of adult-onset seizures in the developing world. Whether therapy with antiparasitic agents results in improved seizure control has been questioned because of the lack of adequate, controlled studies...
- Neurocysticercosis: unraveling the nature of the single cysticercal granulomaH H Garcia
Cysticercosis Unit, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Neurologicas, Jr Ancash 1271, Barrios Altos, Lima 1, Peru
Neurology 75:654-8. 2010....
- [Epidemiology and control of cysticercosis in Peru]Hector H Garcia
Departamento de Microbiologia, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Rev Peru Med Exp Salud Publica 27:592-7. 2010..Advances in the control of taeniasis/cysticercosis in our country open the road towards its elimination and potential eradication...
- Pharmacokinetics of combined treatment with praziquantel and albendazole in neurocysticercosisHector H Garcia
Cysticercosis Unit, Department of Transmissible Diseases, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Neurologicas, Jr Ancash 1271, Barrios Altos, Lima
Br J Clin Pharmacol 72:77-84. 2011..We assessed the pharmacokinetics of their combined use for the treatment of neurocysticercosis...
- New concepts in the diagnosis and management of neurocysticercosis (Taenia solium)Hector H Garcia
Department of Microbiology, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:3-9. 2005..These advances now permit a much better integration of clinical, serologic, and imaging data for diagnosis and therapeutic purposes...
- Combined human and porcine mass chemotherapy for the control of T. soliumH H Garcia
Department of Microbiology, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, San Martin de Porras, Lima, Peru
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:850-5. 2006..Mass chemotherapy was effective in decreasing infection pressure in this hyperendemic area. However, the magnitude of the effect was small and did not attain the goal of eliminating transmission...
- Neurocysticercosis: updated concepts about an old diseaseHector H Garcia
Cysticercosis Unit, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Lima, Peru
Lancet Neurol 4:653-61. 2005..Meanwhile, updated information on diagnosis and management of neurocysticercosis is required, especially for clinicians who are unfamiliar with its wide array of clinical presentations...
- Taenia solium oncosphere antigens induce immunity in pigs against experimental cysticercosisManuela Verastegui
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Vet Parasitol 108:49-62. 2002..Although, antibody to these two antigens is consistently present in pigs that are protected from an oncosphere intramuscular challenge their role in preventing infection by T. solium larval cysts is still hypothetical...
- Epilepsy and toxocariasis: a case-control study in ItalyAlessandra Nicoletti
Department of Neurosciences, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Epilepsia 49:594-9. 2008..To assess the relationship between epilepsy and toxocariasis in adult subjects by means of a case-control study in Catania, Italy...