Hector Hugo Garcia
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Hector Hugo García: promoting research on cysticercosis in PeruBarbara Fraser
Lancet 370:1604. 2007
- Cysticercosis of the central nervous system: how should it be managed?Hector H Garcia
Department of Microbiology, Center for Global Health Tumbes, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Curr Opin Infect Dis 24:423-7. 2011..Understanding of the main clinical presentations (dependent on number, location, size, and stage of parasites, as well as on the immune response of the host) allows a better view of treatment options and expected outcomes...
- Neurocysticercosis: is serology useful in the absence of brain imaging?Hector H Garcia
Cysticercosis Unit, Instituto de Ciencias Neurologicas, Lima, Peru
Trop Med Int Health 17:1014-8. 2012....
- The effect on cardiovascular risk factors of migration from rural to urban areas in Peru: PERU MIGRANT StudyJ Jaime Miranda
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 9:23. 2009..Thus the Peruvian context offers a unique opportunity to test the effects of migration...
- Neurocysticercosis: unraveling the nature of the single cysticercal granulomaH H Garcia
Cysticercosis Unit, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Neurologicas, Jr Ancash 1271, Barrios Altos, Lima 1, Peru
Neurology 75:654-8. 2010....
- Pharmacokinetics of combined treatment with praziquantel and albendazole in neurocysticercosisHector H Garcia
Cysticercosis Unit, Department of Transmissible Diseases, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Neurologicas, Jr Ancash 1271, Barrios Altos, Lima
Br J Clin Pharmacol 72:77-84. 2011..We assessed the pharmacokinetics of their combined use for the treatment of neurocysticercosis...
- Zoonotic helminth infections of humans: echinococcosis, cysticercosis and fascioliasisHector H Garcia
Department of Microbiology, School of Sciences, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Curr Opin Infect Dis 20:489-94. 2007..This review summarizes current knowledge on clinical and epidemiologic aspects of zoonotic disease caused by tissue helminths...
- Combined human and porcine mass chemotherapy for the control of T. soliumH H Garcia
Department of Microbiology, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, San Martin de Porras, Lima, Peru
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:850-5. 2006..Mass chemotherapy was effective in decreasing infection pressure in this hyperendemic area. However, the magnitude of the effect was small and did not attain the goal of eliminating transmission...
- Neurocysticercosis: updated concepts about an old diseaseHector H Garcia
Cysticercosis Unit, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Lima, Peru
Lancet Neurol 4:653-61. 2005..Meanwhile, updated information on diagnosis and management of neurocysticercosis is required, especially for clinicians who are unfamiliar with its wide array of clinical presentations...
- New concepts in the diagnosis and management of neurocysticercosis (Taenia solium)Hector H Garcia
Department of Microbiology, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:3-9. 2005..These advances now permit a much better integration of clinical, serologic, and imaging data for diagnosis and therapeutic purposes...
- A trial of antiparasitic treatment to reduce the rate of seizures due to cerebral cysticercosisHector H Garcia
Department of Transmissible Diseases, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Neurologicas, Barrios Altos, Lima, Peru
N Engl J Med 350:249-58. 2004..Neurocysticercosis is the main cause of adult-onset seizures in the developing world. Whether therapy with antiparasitic agents results in improved seizure control has been questioned because of the lack of adequate, controlled studies...
- [Epidemiology and control of cysticercosis in Peru]Hector H Garcia
Departamento de Microbiologia, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Rev Peru Med Exp Salud Publica 27:592-7. 2010..Advances in the control of taeniasis/cysticercosis in our country open the road towards its elimination and potential eradication...
- Taenia solium oncosphere antigens induce immunity in pigs against experimental cysticercosisManuela Verastegui
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Vet Parasitol 108:49-62. 2002..Although, antibody to these two antigens is consistently present in pigs that are protected from an oncosphere intramuscular challenge their role in preventing infection by T. solium larval cysts is still hypothetical...
- Epilepsy and toxocariasis: a case-control study in ItalyAlessandra Nicoletti
Department of Neurosciences, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Epilepsia 49:594-9. 2008..To assess the relationship between epilepsy and toxocariasis in adult subjects by means of a case-control study in Catania, Italy...
- Neurocysticercosis: Combined Treatment with Praziquantel and AlbendazoleHector Hugo Garcia; Fiscal Year: 2010..This mode of therapy would have worldwide applicability. The two sub-studies should add useful data on the pharmacokinetics of the drugs and assess the possibility of early prediction of complete cure. ..
- Neurocysticercosis: Combined Treatment with Praziquantel and AlbendazoleHector Garcia; Fiscal Year: 2007..This mode of therapy would have worldwide applicability. The two sub-studies should add useful data on the pharmacokinetics of the drugs and assess the possibility of early prediction of complete cure. ..