Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- Elevated serum bone sialoprotein and osteopontin in colon, breast, prostate, and lung cancerN S Fedarko
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Clin Cancer Res 7:4060-6. 2001..We hypothesized that measuring total BSP and OPN levels would provide informative markers for the detection of cancer...
- The biology of aging and frailtyNeal S Fedarko
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, 5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 27:27-37. 2011..The following article provides an overview of the homeostatic pathways emphasized in research on aging and explains how this science may help to stimulate frailty research...
- Three small integrin binding ligand N-linked glycoproteins (SIBLINGs) bind and activate specific matrix metalloproteinasesNeal S Fedarko
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
FASEB J 18:734-6. 2004..These data suggest that the SIBLING family offers an alternative method of controlling the activity of at least three MMPs...
- Small integrin binding ligand N-linked glycoprotein gene family expression in different cancersLarry W Fisher
Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:8501-11. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest SIBLINGs as potential markers of early disease progression in a number of different cancer types, some of which currently lack vigorous clinical markers...
- Elevated levels of neopterin in sleep-disordered breathingNaresh M Punjabi
Johns Hopkins University, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, 5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Chest 132:1124-30. 2007..Thus, this investigation sought to determine whether neopterin, a marker released by activated macrophages, is increased in SDB...
- Comparison of conventional ELISA with electrochemiluminescence technology for detection of amyloid-β in plasmaEsther S Oh
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 21:769-73. 2010..However, the advantages of electrochemiluminescence detection technology include short processing time and small sample volume. This comparison demonstrates the need for a further study in optimizing this system...
- Glutathione peroxidase enzyme activity in agingSara E Espinoza
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 63:505-9. 2008..Age-related decline in activity of the antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase (GPx) may contribute to increased free radicals. We hypothesized that GPx activity decreases with age in a population of older women with disability...
- Three SIBLINGs (small integrin-binding ligand, N-linked glycoproteins) enhance factor H's cofactor activity enabling MCP-like cellular evasion of complement-mediated attackAlka Jain
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Biol Chem 277:13700-8. 2002..The required order of the assembly of the complex suggests that this cofactor activity is limited to short diffusional distances...
- Association of detectable cytomegalovirus (CMV) DNA in monocytes rather than positive CMV IgG serology with elevated neopterin levels in community-dwelling older adultsSean X Leng
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Exp Gerontol 46:679-84. 2011..These findings suggest that detection of CMV viral DNA in monocytes may be an informative tool to evaluate chronic CMV infection and its potential role in monocyte/macrophage-mediated immune activation in the elderly...
- Serum fatty acid synthase as a marker of pancreatic neoplasiaKim Walter
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:2380-5. 2009..In conclusion, serum FAS levels are elevated in patients with pancreatic cancer and IPMNs and are associated with neoplastic overexpression of FAS...
- The physical and biological characterization of a frail mouse modelJeremy Walston
The Biology of Frailty Working Group, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 63:391-8. 2008..We hypothesized that with increasing age, IL-10(tm/tm) mice would develop physical and biological characteristics similar to those of human frailty as compared to C57BL/6J control mice...
- Small integrin-binding proteins as serum markers for prostate cancer detectionAlka Jain
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:5199-207. 2009..Previous studies have separately reported elevated expression of BSP, OPN, or DSPP in prostate tumor paraffin sections. We hypothesized that SIBLINGs may be informative serum markers for subjects with prostate cancer...
- Structural requirements for bone sialoprotein binding and modulation of matrix metalloproteinase-2Alka Jain
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, USA
Biochemistry 47:10162-70. 2008....
- Bone sialoprotein binding to matrix metalloproteinase-2 alters enzyme inhibition kineticsAlka Jain
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Biochemistry 47:5986-95. 2008..BSP modulation of MMP-2 activity and inhibition may define its biological role in promoting tumor progression...
- Activation of (Na+ + K+)-ATPase induces positive inotropy in intact mouse heart in vivoKai Y Xu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 349:582-7. 2006..Demonstration of whether activation of (Na+ + K+)-ATPase affects heart function in animal in vivo was the object of this investigation...
- Evaluation of osteopontin as biomarker for pancreatic adenocarcinomaJens Koopmann
Department of Pathology and Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:487-91. 2004..In contrast, only 62% of these patients with resectable pancreatic cancer had elevated CA19-9. CONCLUSIONS: Serum OPN may have utility as a diagnostic marker in patients with pancreatic cancer...
- Small integrin-binding ligand N-linked glycoproteins (SIBLINGs): multifunctional proteins in cancerAkeila Bellahcene
Metastasis Research Laboratory, University of Liege, Tour de Pathologie, 1, Bat B23, Sart Tilman via 4000 Liege, Belgium
Nat Rev Cancer 8:212-26. 2008....
- Six genes expressed in bones and teeth encode the current members of the SIBLING family of proteinsLarry W Fisher
Matrix Biochemistry Unit, Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch, NIDCR, NIH, HHS, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4320, USA
Connect Tissue Res 44:33-40. 2003..Two possible mechanisms for inhibiting the lytic pathway of alternate complement are presented...
- Matrix extracellular phosphoglycoprotein (MEPE) correlates with serum phosphorus prior to and during octreotide treatment and following excisional surgery in hypophosphatemic linear sebaceous nevus syndromeWilliam H Hoffman
Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Endocrinology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia
Am J Med Genet A 146:2164-8. 2008
- The role of mutant UDP-N-acetyl-alpha-D-galactosamine-polypeptide N-acetylgalactosaminyltransferase 3 in regulating serum intact fibroblast growth factor 23 and matrix extracellular phosphoglycoprotein in heritable tumoral calcinosisHolly J Garringer
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, 975 West Walnut Street, IB130, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4037-42. 2006..Furthermore, combination therapy may be effective for reducing the tumoral burden associated with familial TC...
- Dentin matrix protein 1 enhances invasion potential of colon cancer cells by bridging matrix metalloproteinase-9 to integrins and CD44Abdullah Karadag
Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cancer Res 65:11545-52. 2005....
- Bone sialoprotein mediates the tumor cell-targeted prometastatic activity of transforming growth factor beta in a mouse model of breast cancerJeong-Seok Nam
Laboratory of Cell Regulation and Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute, MD 20892-5055, USA
Cancer Res 66:6327-35. 2006....
- Bone sialoprotein, matrix metalloproteinase 2, and alpha(v)beta3 integrin in osteotropic cancer cell invasionAbdullah Karadag
Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892 4320, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:956-65. 2004..Its role in tumor biology, however, remains unclear. We investigated whether BSP enhances cancer cell invasiveness by forming a trimolecular complex with MMP-2 and cell-surface integrin alpha(v)beta3...
- BONE SIALOPROTEIN AND BREAST CANCER METASTASISNeal Fedarko; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Research Training in Gerontology & GeriatricsNeal Fedarko; Fiscal Year: 2006..He is supported in this role by two Associate Program Directors, Ross Andersen, Ph.D., and Neal Fedarko, Ph.D...
- Small integrin-binding proteins and tumor progressionNeal Fedarko; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- 2007 Small Intergin Binding Proteins Gordon Research ConferenceNeal Fedarko; Fiscal Year: 2007..The principal topics to be addressed are: intracellular processing and function of SIBLINGs/CCNs; genetic regulation of SIBLING and CCN genes; SIBLINGs and CCNs in cancer and inflammation; and bioactive fragments of SIBLINGs/CCNs. ..