Michael A Bonaguidi
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- LIF and BMP signaling generate separate and discrete types of GFAP-expressing cellsMichael A Bonaguidi
Davee Department of Neurology, Northwestern University s Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Development 132:5503-14. 2005..We conclude that LIF and BMP signaling generate different astrocytic cell types, and propose that these cells are, respectively, adult progenitor cells and mature astrocytes...
- Noggin expands neural stem cells in the adult hippocampusMichael A Bonaguidi
Davee Department of Neurology, Northwestern University s Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Neurosci 28:9194-204. 2008..Thus, we propose that the adult hippocampus contains a population of NSCs, which can be expanded both in vitro and in vivo by blocking BMP signaling...
- BMP signaling mediates effects of exercise on hippocampal neurogenesis and cognition in miceKevin T Gobeske
Department of Neurology, Northwestern University s Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e7506. 2009..Together, these observations show that BMP signaling is a fundamental mechanism linking environmental exposure with changes in cognitive function and cellular properties in the hippocampus...
- Inhibition of BMP signaling in P-Cadherin positive hair progenitor cells leads to trichofolliculoma-like hair follicle neoplasiasLixin Kan
Department of Neurology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Biomed Sci 18:92. 2011..Multiple signaling molecules, including bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), have been implicated in this process...
- Adult neural stem cells in the mammalian central nervous systemDengke K Ma
Institute for Cell Engineering, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cell Res 19:672-82. 2009..Here, we review recent progress on adult NSCs of the mammalian central nervous system, including topics on their identity, niche, function, plasticity, and emerging roles in cancer and regenerative medicine...