Alan N Baer
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- Lupus and pregnancyAlan N Baer
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21239, USA
Obstet Gynecol Surv 66:639-53. 2011..High-dose prednisone and cyclophosphamide are reserved for severe lupus complications but are associated with significant pregnancy-related complications and poor obstetrical outcomes...
- Noninflammatory myopathiesAlan N Baer
Division of Rheumatology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Suite 4000, Mason Lord Center Tower, 5200 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 39:457-79. 2013..Special testing techniques are often required to establish the diagnosis. This review focuses on those noninflammatory myopathies that should be included in the differential diagnosis of idiopathic inflammatory myopathy...
- Rare diagnosis of IgG4-related systemic disease by lip biopsy in an international Sjögren syndrome registryAlan N Baer
Department of Medicine Rheumatology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 115:e34-9. 2013..He was evaluated in the context of a research registry for Sjögren syndrome and was the only 1 of 2594 registrants with minor salivary gland histopathologic findings supportive of this diagnosis...
- Secondary Sjogren's syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus defines a distinct disease subsetAlan N Baer
Division of Rheumatology, Good Samaritan Hospital, Russell Morgan Building, Suite 508, 5601 Loch Raven Blvd, Baltimore, MD 21239, USA
J Rheumatol 37:1143-9. 2010..We sought to determine whether the presence of SS in a large cohort of patients with SLE defines a subset with distinctive sociodemographic, clinical, and laboratory features...
- Breaking bad news: use of cancer survivors in role-playing exercisesAlan N Baer
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21239, USA
J Palliat Med 11:885-92. 2008..To teach medical students how to deliver a diagnosis of cancer using role-play with a cancer survivor volunteer...
- Paraneoplastic muscle diseaseAlan N Baer
Division of Rheumatology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Good Samaritan Hospital, 5200 Eastern Avenue, Mason F Lord Building Center Tower, Suite 4100, Room 413, Baltimore MD 21224, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 37:185-200, v-vi. 2011..This article is focused on inflammatory and necrotizing myopathies and disorders of neuromuscular transmission that may arise in the setting of malignancy and are considered paraneoplastic phenomena...
- A urate gene-by-diuretic interaction and gout risk in participants with hypertension: results from the ARIC studyMara A McAdams-Demarco
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2024 E Monument St, Suite B 319, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 72:701-6. 2013..To test for a urate gene-by-diuretic interaction on incident gout...
- Incident gout in women and association with obesity in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) StudyJanet W Maynard
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Med 125:717.e9-717.e17. 2012..We hypothesized that women with early- and mid-adult life obesity, as well as high mid-adult life waist-to-hip ratios, and high weight gain during adulthood, experience a greater incidence of gout...
- Obesity and younger age at gout onset in a community-based cohortMara A McAdams DeMarco
Johns Hopkins University, 2024 East Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 63:1108-14. 2011..We examined whether obesity is related to age at gout onset and quantified the risk of incident gout by obesity status in the Campaign Against Cancer and Heart Disease (CLUE II) study, a longitudinal community-based cohort...
- Hypertension and the risk of incident gout in a population-based study: the atherosclerosis risk in communities cohortMara A McAdams-Demarco
From the Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 14:675-9. 2012..82). Hypertension was independently associated with increased gout risk in middle-aged African American and white adults. Serum urate level may be a partial intermediate on the pathway between hypertension and gout...
- Diuretic use, increased serum urate levels, and risk of incident gout in a population-based study of adults with hypertension: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities cohort studyMara A McAdams Demarco
Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Arthritis Rheum 64:121-9. 2012..To quantify the role of diuretic use in gout development in an adult population with hypertension...
- Malignancy in myositisZaki Abou Zahr
Department of Internal Medicine, Good Samaritan Hospital, 5601 Loch Raven Boulevard, Baltimore, MD 21239, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 13:208-15. 2011..This paraneoplastic phenomenon may stem from an immune reaction to antigens expressed in both cancer cells and regenerating fibers in affected muscle...
- Reliability and sensitivity of the self-report of physician-diagnosed gout in the campaign against cancer and heart disease and the atherosclerosis risk in the community cohortsMara A McAdams
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Rheumatol 38:135-41. 2011..We evaluated the reliability and sensitivity of the self-report of physician-diagnosed gout in the Campaign Against Cancer and Heart Disease (CLUE II) and the Atherosclerosis Risk in the Community (ARIC) cohorts...
- Myotoxicity associated with lipid-lowering drugsAlan N Baer
Division of Allergy, Immunology, and Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, University at Buffalo, SUNY, Erie County Medical Center, Buffalo, New York 14215, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 19:67-73. 2007..Progress in our understanding of this form of myotoxicity is reviewed...
- Flares of systemic lupus erythematosus during pregnancy and the puerperium: prevention, diagnosis and managementGeorge Stojan
Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 5200 Eastern Avenue, Mason F Lord Bldg Center Tower, Suite 4100, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 8:439-53. 2012..Hydroxychloroquine, low-dose prednisone, pulse intravenous methylprednisolone and azathioprine are commonly used to treat lupus flares during pregnancy...
- Primary Sjögren's syndrome as a systemic disease: a study of participants enrolled in an international Sjögren's syndrome registryArundathi S Malladi
Division of Rheumatology, University of California San Francisco, 374 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 64:911-8. 2012..To study the prevalence of extraglandular manifestations in primary Sjögren's syndrome (SS) among participants enrolled in the Sjögren's International Collaborative Clinical Alliance (SICCA) Registry...
- Therapy with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in systemic lupus erythematosus may be associated with severe flaresIrene M Vasiliu
Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, New York, USA
J Rheumatol 33:1878-80. 2006..Our experience suggests that G-CSF therapy should be used with considerable caution in patients with SLE...