Mary Y Armanios
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins University
- Telomeres and age-related disease: how telomere biology informs clinical paradigmsMary Armanios
Department of Oncology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, and McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Clin Invest 123:996-1002. 2013..I also critically examine nuances of interpreting telomere length measurement in clinical studies...
- The telomere syndromesMary Armanios
Department of Oncology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Nat Rev Genet 13:693-704. 2012..Here we review the manifestations and unique genetics of telomere syndromes. We also discuss their underlying molecular mechanisms and significance for understanding common age-related disease processes...
- Telomerase and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisMary Armanios
Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Mutat Res 730:52-8. 2012..Here I review the significance of telomere defects for understanding the genetics, disease patterns and pathophysiology of IPF. The importance of this diagnosis for patient care decisions will also be discussed...
- Transmission of glioblastoma multiforme following bilateral lung transplantation from an affected donor: case study and review of the literatureMary Y Armanios
Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Neuro Oncol 6:259-63. 2004..The patient died 2 weeks after the diagnosis was established. The patient receiving the donor liver also developed GBM. We present a case study, review of the literature, and suggested interventions to minimize the risk of transmission...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy for resected adenocarcinoma of the esophagus, gastro-esophageal junction, and cardia: phase II trial (E8296) of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology GroupMary Armanios
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:4495-9. 2004..To evaluate the effect of postoperative paclitaxel and cisplatin on 2-year survival in patients with completely resected adenocarcinoma of the distal esophagus, gastro-esophageal (GE) junction, and cardia...
- Telomerase mutations in families with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisMary Y Armanios
Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1317-26. 2007....
- Short telomeres are sufficient to cause the degenerative defects associated with agingMary Armanios
Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Am J Hum Genet 85:823-32. 2009..Our findings implicate telomere length as a unique heritable trait that, when short, is sufficient to mediate the degenerative defects of aging, even when telomerase is wild-type...
- Syndromes of telomere shorteningMary Armanios
Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21285, USA
Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 10:45-61. 2009..I also propose broader clinical criteria for defining telomere-mediated syndromes outside of dyskeratosis congenita, with the goal of facilitating their diagnosis and highlighting their pathophysiology...
- Short telomeres are a risk factor for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisJonathan K Alder
Department of Oncology, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:13051-6. 2008..The clustering of cryptogenic liver cirrhosis with IPF suggests that the telomere shortening we identify has consequences and can contribute to what appears clinically as idiopathic progressive organ failure in the lung and the liver...
- Short telomeres, even in the presence of telomerase, limit tissue renewal capacityLing Yang Hao
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cell 123:1121-31. 2005..We propose that short telomeres in mice that have normal telomerase levels can cause an occult form of genetic disease...
- Short telomeres and ataxia-telangiectasia mutated deficiency cooperatively increase telomere dysfunction and suppress tumorigenesisLing Qi
Departments of Molecular Biology and Genetics, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Cancer Res 63:8188-96. 2003..We propose that Atm protects short telomeres and that Atm deficiency cooperates with short telomeres, leading to increased cell death, decreased tumorigenesis, and increased overall survival...
- Haploinsufficiency of telomerase reverse transcriptase leads to anticipation in autosomal dominant dyskeratosis congenitaMary Armanios
Department of Oncology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:15960-4. 2005..This finding emphasizes the importance of telomere maintenance and telomerase dosage for maintaining tissue proliferative capacity and has relevance for understanding mechanisms of age-related changes...
- Decreased dyskerin levels as a mechanism of telomere shortening in X-linked dyskeratosis congenitaErin M Parry
Department of Oncology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1650 Orleans St, CRB 186, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Med Genet 48:327-33. 2011..These data identify decreased dyskerin levels as a novel mechanism of DC, and indicate that intact dyskerin levels, in the absence of coding mutations, are critical for telomerase RNA stability and for in vivo telomere maintenance...
- Telomere Shortening and Stem Cell MaintenanceMary Armanios; Fiscal Year: 2007..These effects are particularly relevant as telomerase inhibitors are actively pursued as anti-cancer therapies. ..