Alison G Abraham
Affiliation: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- FungiQuant: a broad-coverage fungal quantitative real-time PCR assayCindy M Liu
Division of Pathogen Genomics, Translational Genomics Research Institute, Flagstaff, AZ 86011, USA
BMC Microbiol 12:255. 2012..Fungal load quantification is a critical component of fungal community analyses. Limitation of current approaches for quantifying the fungal component in the human microbiome suggests the need for new broad-coverage techniques...
- The impact of impaired kidney function and HIV infection on the risk of anemiaAlison G Abraham
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 28:1666-71. 2012..Comorbid conditions and medication use did not explain this increase in risk. HIV infection and impaired kidney function have a combined impact on lowering hemoglobin levels, resulting in a higher risk of anemia...
- Extracellular volume and glomerular filtration rate in children with chronic kidney diseaseAlison G Abraham
Assistant Scientist, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:741-7. 2011..Extracellular volume (ECV) is the fluid contained in all noncellular compartments of the body and is a quantity tightly controlled by the kidney. Thus, there is a strong link between ECV and kidney function...
- Missing data on the estimation of the prevalence of accumulated human immunodeficiency virus drug resistance in patients treated with antiretroviral drugs in north americaAlison G Abraham
Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 615 North Wolfe Street, Suite E7640, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Epidemiol 174:727-35. 2011....
- The differential effect of ultraviolet light exposure on cataract rate across regions of the lensAlison G Abraham
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:3919-23. 2010..Further, it has been hypothesized that the lower nasal region of the lens is the most susceptible to damage by environmental ultraviolet light exposure...
- Lipodystrophy and inflammation predict later grip strength in HIV-infected men: the MACS Body Composition substudyKeith W Crawford
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 29:1138-45. 2013..Inflammation, lower LBM, and lipodystrophy in HIV-infected men were associated with lower subsequent grip strength. These findings suggest that inflammation may contribute to declines in functional performance, independent of age...
- Association between common iron store markers and hemoglobin in children with chronic kidney diseaseMeredith A Atkinson
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 27:2275-83. 2012..Serum ferritin and transferrin saturation (TSAT) are used to assess iron status in children with chronic kidney disease (CKD), but their sensitivity in identifying those at risk of lower hemoglobin (HGB) values is unclear...
- Computer-aided assessment of diagnostic images for epidemiological researchAlison G Abraham
Epidemiology Department, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
BMC Med Res Methodol 9:74. 2009..However, these systems have not been well utilized in research settings to improve the measurement of clinical endpoints. Reductions in bias through their use could have important implications for etiologic research...
- Antiretroviral-treated HIV-infected women have similar long-term kidney function trajectories as HIV-uninfected womenMichelle M Estrella
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 29:755-60. 2013..Tenofovir use in HIV-infected women with normal kidney function did not accelerate long-term kidney function decline relative to HIV-uninfected women...
- Virologic and immunologic response to HAART, by age and regimen classKeri N Althoff
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
AIDS 24:2469-79. 2010..To determine the impact of age and initial HAART regimen class on virologic and immunologic response within 24 months after initiation...
- Longitudinal formulas to estimate GFR in children with CKDAlison G Abraham
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:1724-30. 2009..Whereas current GFR estimating equations approximate direct GFR measurement at a single time point, formulas that capitalize on changes in easily measured biologic parameters could improve the accuracy and precision of GFR estimation...
- Blood lead level and measured glomerular filtration rate in children with chronic kidney diseaseJeffrey J Fadrowski
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Environ Health Perspect 121:965-70. 2013..Longitudinal analyses are needed to examine the temporal relationship between lead and GFR decline, and to further examine the impact of underlying cause of CKD and anemia/hemoglobin status among patients with CKD. ..
- Retrospective mortality study among employees occupationally exposed to tonerAlison G Abraham
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Occup Environ Med 52:1035-41. 2010..This cohort study examined the effects of occupational exposure to toner, a particulate material with widespread use in today's society, on mortality...
- The new epidemiology of cataractAlison G Abraham
Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 600 North Wolfe Street, 116 Wilmer Building, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Ophthalmol Clin North Am 19:415-25. 2006..This article reviews the current state of knowledge on risk factors for development of age-related cataract formation...