R E Mendes
Affiliation: JMI Laboratories
- Mendes R, Sader H, Flamm R, Farrell D, Jones R. Telavancin activity when tested by a revised susceptibility testing method against uncommonly isolated Gram-positive pathogens responsible for documented infections in hospitals worldwide (2011-2013). J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2015;3:36-39 pubmed publisher..This study provides new baseline MIC results for telavancin and confirms the spectrum and potency of telavancin against less commonly encountered Gram-positive species. ..
- Mendes R, Farrell D, Sader H, Flamm R, Jones R. Oritavancin Activity Tested against Molecularly Characterized Staphylococci and Enterococci Displaying Elevated Linezolid MIC Results. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:3817-20 pubmed publisher..12 ?g/ml against both species). All linezolid-resistant isolates were inhibited by oritavancin at ?0.12 ?g/ml. These results confirmed the absence of cross-resistance between linezolid and oritavancin in staphylococci and enterococci. ..
- Duncan L, Smart J, Flamm R, Sader H, Jones R, Mendes R. Telavancin activity tested against a collection of Staphylococcus aureus isolates causing pneumonia in hospitalized patients in the United States (2013-2014). Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;86:300-302 pubmed publisher..06?g/mL; 16-fold more active than vancomycin or linezolid) against all S. aureus isolates, including the HABP subset, multidrug-resistant isolates, and those less susceptible to vancomycin. ..
- Duncan L, Sader H, Flamm R, Jones R, Mendes R. Oritavancin in vitro activity against contemporary Staphylococcus aureus isolates responsible for invasive community- and healthcare-associated infections among patients in the United States (2013-2014). Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;86:303-306 pubmed publisher..All sampled contemporary (2013-2014) S. aureus isolates were susceptible at ?0.12?g/mL to oritavancin (MIC50/90 values, 0.03/0.06?g/mL), regardless of origin or susceptibility phenotype. ..
- Mendes R, Farrell D, Flamm R, Talbot G, Ivezić Schoenfeld Z, Paukner S, et al. In Vitro Activity of Lefamulin Tested against Streptococcus pneumoniae with Defined Serotypes, Including Multidrug-Resistant Isolates Causing Lower Respiratory Tract Infections in the United States. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:4407-11 pubmed publisher..These data support the clinical development of lefamulin for the treatment of community-acquired respiratory tract infections. ..
- Mendes R, Watters A, Rhomberg P, Farrell D, Jones R. Performance of BD Max StaphSR for Screening of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Isolates among a Contemporary and Diverse Collection from 146 Institutions Located in Nine U.S. Census Regions: Prevalence of mecA Dropout Mutants. J Clin Microbiol. 2016;54:204-7 pubmed publisher..However, six of these MSSA isolates had the mecA gene confirmed by PCR and sequencing (99.8% sensitivity; 898/900). Overall, 7.1% (64/900) of MSSA isolates showed results compatible with a mecA dropout genotype. ..
- Pfaller M, Flamm R, Jones R, Farrell D, Mendes R. Activities of Tedizolid and Linezolid Determined by the Reference Broth Microdilution Method against 3,032 Gram-Positive Bacterial Isolates Collected in Asia-Pacific, Eastern Europe, and Latin American Countries in 2014. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:5393-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, tedizolid demonstrated greater in vitro potency than linezolid against Gram-positive pathogens isolated from patients in medical centers across the Asia-Pacific region, Eastern Europe, and Latin America. ..
- Mendes R, Sader H, Smart J, Castanheira M, Flamm R. Update of the activity of telavancin against a global collection of Staphylococcus aureus causing bacteremia, including endocarditis (2011-2014). Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017;36:1013-1017 pubmed publisher..aureus, regardless of the susceptibility phenotype or demographic characteristics (100.0% susceptible), and supports the sought-after subsequent indications. ..
- Mendes R, Castanheira M, Farrell D, Flamm R, Sader H, Jones R. Prevalence of macrolide-lincosamide resistance and multidrug resistance phenotypes in streptococcal isolates causing infections in European hospitals: Evaluation of the in vitro activity of oritavancin and comparator agents. J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2017;8:28-32 pubmed publisher..Oritavancin demonstrated in vitro potencies that were similar to or greater than those of comparators against this recent collection of streptococci, including drug-resistant subsets, from European and adjacent countries. ..
- Duncan L, Sader H, Smart J, Flamm R, Mendes R. Telavancin activity in vitro tested against a worldwide collection of Gram-positive clinical isolates (2014). J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2017;10:271-276 pubmed publisher..015?g/mL. These in vitro results from 2014 highlight the potent in vitro activity of telavancin and demonstrate that its activity was virtually unchanged compared with the corresponding 2013 telavancin surveillance results. ..
- Mendes R, Deshpande L, Costello A, Farrell D. Molecular epidemiology of Staphylococcus epidermidis clinical isolates from U.S. hospitals. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:4656-61 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, these 23S rRNA mutants also had L3 alterations, which may act synergistically or in a compensatory manner to minimize the fitness cost while providing survival advantages under selective pressure...
- Mendes R, Deshpande L, Smyth D, Shopsin B, Farrell D, Jones R. Characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains recovered from a phase IV clinical trial for linezolid versus vancomycin for treatment of nosocomial pneumonia. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:3694-702 pubmed publisher..The USA300 rate corroborates previous reports describing increased prevalence of USA300 strains causing invasive infections. The prevalence of hVISA was elevated in Asia, and these strains were associated with CC5...
- Mendes R, Farrell D, Sader H, Flamm R, Jones R. Activity of oritavancin against Gram-positive clinical isolates responsible for documented skin and soft-tissue infections in European and US hospitals (2010-13). J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015;70:498-504 pubmed publisher..These results describe oritavancin activity against Gram-positive pathogens collected shortly prior to its regulatory approval in the USA. ..
- Mendes R, Castanheira M, Farrell D, Flamm R, Sader H, Jones R. Longitudinal (2001-14) analysis of enterococci and VRE causing invasive infections in European and US hospitals, including a contemporary (2010-13) analysis of oritavancin in vitro potency. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71:3453-3458 pubmed..faecium. Rates of E. faecium and VRE increased in Europe. Although still elevated, VRE rates appeared to show a decreasing trend in the USA since 2010. Oritavancin demonstrated activity against enterococci, including VRE. ..
- Mendes R, Hogan P, Jones R, Sader H, Flamm R. Surveillance for linezolid resistance via the ZyvoxÂ® Annual Appraisal of Potency and Spectrum (ZAAPS) programme (2014): evolving resistance mechanisms with stable susceptibility rates. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71:1860-5 pubmed publisher..The latter isolates primarily showed mutations in the 23S rRNA gene and/or L3 protein, but cfr was not detected. Moreover, this study shows that isolates carrying the newly described ABC transporter optrA are not restricted to China. ..
- Mendes R, Bell J, Turnidge J, Castanheira M, Jones R. Emergence and widespread dissemination of OXA-23, -24/40 and -58 carbapenemases among Acinetobacter spp. in Asia-Pacific nations: report from the SENTRY Surveillance Program. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009;63:55-9 pubmed publisher..isolates. In addition, clonal dissemination among medical centres located in different countries in the APAC region, previously documented in many regions of Europe, emphasizes the epidemic potential of these bacteria. ..
- Deshpande L, Ashcraft D, Kahn H, Pankey G, Jones R, Farrell D, et al. Detection of a New cfr-Like Gene, cfr(B), in Enterococcus faecium Isolates Recovered from Human Specimens in the United States as Part of the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59:6256-61 pubmed publisher..faecium and P. difficile, suggesting potential for dissemination. However, further analysis is necessary to access the resistance levels conferred by cfr(B) when expressed in enterococci. ..
- Mendes R, Deshpande L, Jones R. Linezolid update: stable in vitro activity following more than a decade of clinical use and summary of associated resistance mechanisms. Drug Resist Updat. 2014;17:1-12 pubmed publisher..These events will likely establish a new chapter for this successful class of antimicrobial agents. ..
- Mendes R, Castanheira M, Woosley L, Stone G, Bradford P, Flamm R. Molecular Î²-Lactamase Characterization of Aerobic Gram-Negative Pathogens Recovered from Patients Enrolled in the Ceftazidime-Avibactam Phase 3 Trials for Complicated Intra-abdominal Infections, with Efficacies Analyzed against Susceptible and Resist. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017;61: pubmed publisher..The efficacy of ceftazidime-avibactam was similar to that of meropenem for treatment of cIAI caused by ESBL-producing organisms. (This study has been registered at ClinicalTrials.gov under registration no. NCT01499290 and NCT01500239.). ..
- Mendes R, Sader H, Farrell D, Jones R. Update on the telavancin activity tested against European staphylococcal clinical isolates (2009-2010). Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2011;71:93-7 pubmed publisher..aureus infections in Europe, including those infections caused by strains with decreased susceptibility to vancomycin and/or teicoplanin. ..
- Mendes R, Sader H, Jones R. Activity of telavancin and comparator antimicrobial agents tested against Staphylococcus spp. isolated from hospitalised patients in Europe (2007-2008). Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2010;36:374-9 pubmed publisher..Based upon MIC(90) values, telavancin demonstrated potent in vitro activity against a contemporary (2007-2008) collection of Staphylococcus spp. recovered from nearly 30 European medical centres...
- Mendes R, Castanheira M, Gasink L, Stone G, Nichols W, Flamm R, et al. Î²-Lactamase Characterization of Gram-Negative Pathogens Recovered from Patients Enrolled in the Phase 2 Trials for Ceftazidime-Avibactam: Clinical Efficacies Analyzed against Subsets of Molecularly Characterized Isolates. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;60:1328-35 pubmed publisher..8% versus 86.7%, respectively). The efficacy of ceftazidime-avibactam was similar to that of carbapenems for treatment of cUTI and cIAI caused by ESBL organisms. ..
- Jones R, Flamm R, Castanheira M, Sader H, Smart J, Mendes R. Activity of telavancin against Gram-positive pathogens isolated from bone and joint infections in North American, Latin American, European and Asia-Pacific nations. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017;88:184-187 pubmed publisher..03-0.06?g/mL). The in vitro results presented here warrant further investigations to access the role of telavancin for BJI/osteomyelitis treatment caused by Gram-positive cocci. ..
- Pfaller M, Mendes R, Sader H, Castanheira M, Flamm R. Activity of dalbavancin tested against Gram-positive clinical isolates causing skin and skin-structure infections in paediatric patients from US hospitals (2014-2015). J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2017;11:4-7 pubmed publisher..Dalbavancin demonstrated potent in vitro activity against isolates causing SSSI in children. Developing dalbavancin for SSSI treatment in children is warranted, provided safety and tolerability are satisfactory. ..
- Mendes R, Hogan P, Streit J, Jones R, Flamm R. Zyvox® Annual Appraisal of Potency and Spectrum (ZAAPS) program: report of linezolid activity over 9 years (2004-12). J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014;69:1582-8 pubmed publisher..This surveillance report documents stable linezolid activity and susceptibility rates against a large and longitudinal collection of clinical isolates worldwide. ..
- Mendes R, Deshpande L, Bonilla H, Schwarz S, Huband M, Jones R, et al. Dissemination of a pSCFS3-like cfr-carrying plasmid in Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis clinical isolates recovered from hospitals in Ohio. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:2923-8 pubmed publisher..The cfr-carrying plasmid detected in the remaining S. aureus isolate (7.9 kb) was distinct and showed the highest identity to the chromosomal cfr integrate found in the chromosomal DNA of a Proteus vulgaris isolate from a pig in China...
- Mendes R, Smith T, Deshpande L, Diekema D, Sader H, Jones R. Plasmid-borne vga(A)-encoding gene in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ST398 recovered from swine and a swine farmer in the United States. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2011;71:177-80 pubmed publisher..Strains were wild type for L3 and L4, but positive for vga(A) and tet(M). vga(A) was plasmid-located (ca. 24-kb) and demonstrated mobilization genes upstream and a transposase belonging to the IS3 family located downstream...
- Mendes R, Farrell D, Sader H, Jones R. Comprehensive assessment of tigecycline activity tested against a worldwide collection of Acinetobacter spp. (2005-2009). Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2010;68:307-11 pubmed publisher..0% of those displaying multidrug resistance. Other tested agents showed limited activity and a significant (P < 0.001) trend toward decreased susceptibility during the study period...
- Mendes R, Jones R, Deshpande L, Ross J, Sader H. Daptomycin activity tested against linezolid-nonsusceptible gram-positive clinical isolates. Microb Drug Resist. 2009;15:245-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, daptomycin was the most active agent tested against this collection of gram-positive clinical organisms and ribosomal target mutations comprised the main resistance mechanism against linezolid. ..
- Mendes R, Spanu T, Deshpande L, Castanheira M, Jones R, Fadda G. Clonal dissemination of two clusters of Acinetobacter baumannii producing OXA-23 or OXA-58 in Rome, Italy. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2009;15:588-92 pubmed publisher..baumannii to cause epidemic/endemic outbreaks and also to acquire various resistance genes circulating in the hospital environment. ..