Shannon J Williamson
Affiliation: J. Craig Venter Institute
- The Sorcerer II Global Ocean Sampling Expedition: metagenomic characterization of viruses within aquatic microbial samplesShannon J Williamson
J Craig Venter Institute, Rockville, Maryland, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e1456. 2008....
- From bacterial to microbial ecosystems (metagenomics)Shannon J Williamson
J Craig Venter Institute, San Diego, CA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 804:35-55. 2012..We highlight their issues and challenges, and review the solutions that are currently in use. We conclude with examples of metagenomic studies conducted on environments of varying complexities...
- Metagenomic exploration of viruses throughout the Indian OceanShannon J Williamson
Microbial and Environmental Genomics, J Craig Venter Institute, San Diego, California, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e42047. 2012..This is the first study to holistically explore virioplankton dynamics across multiple size classes and provides unprecedented insight into virus diversity, metabolic potential and virus-host interactions...
- Influence of nutrients and currents on the genomic composition of microbes across an upwelling mosaicLisa Zeigler Allen
Microbial and Environmental Genomics, J Craig Venter Institute, San Diego, CA, USA
ISME J 6:1403-14. 2012....
- The Sorcerer II Global Ocean Sampling expedition: expanding the universe of protein familiesShibu Yooseph
J Craig Venter Institute, Rockville, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Biol 5:e16. 2007..Our analysis indicates that new families are being discovered at a rate that is linear or almost linear with the addition of new sequences, implying that we are still far from discovering all protein families in nature...
- Genomic and functional adaptation in surface ocean planktonic prokaryotesShibu Yooseph
J Craig Venter Institute, Rockville, Maryland 20850, USA
Nature 468:60-6. 2010..Their genomic features also lead us to propose that one method used to avoid predation by viruses and/or bacterivores is by means of slow growth and the maintenance of low biomass...
- Hydroxyapatite-mediated separation of double-stranded DNA, single-stranded DNA, and RNA genomes from natural viral assemblagesCynthia Andrews-Pfannkoch
J Craig Venter Institute, 10355 Science Center Dr, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:5039-45. 2010..Taxonomic analysis demonstrated that the majority of environmental sequences, regardless of their source nucleic acid, were most similar to dsDNA viruses, reflecting the bias of viral metagenomic sequence databases...
- Single virus genomics: a new tool for virus discoveryLisa Zeigler Allen
Microbial and Environmental Genomics, J Craig Venter Institute, San Diego, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17722. 2011..The isolation and genome sequencing of uncultivated viruses using Single Virus Genomics approaches will enable researchers to address questions about viral diversity, evolution, adaptation and ecology that were previously unattainable...