D W Russell
Affiliation: Iowa State University
- Moderating influences of baseline activity levels in school physical activity programming for children: the Ready for Recess projectPedro F Saint-Maurice
Iowa State University, Department of Kinesiology, Ames, IA 50011, USA
BMC Public Health 14:103. 2014..This study examined possible moderation effect of baseline activity levels on physical activity change as a result of the Ready for Recess intervention...
- Is loneliness the same as being alone?Daniel W Russell
Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011 4380, USA
J Psychol 146:7-22. 2012..Implications of these findings for theoretical models of loneliness are discussed...
- Evaluation of a multiple ecological level child obesity prevention program: Switch what you Do, View, and ChewDouglas A Gentile
Department of Psychology, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA
BMC Med 7:49. 2009....
- Loneliness and nursing home admission among rural older adultsD W Russell
Department of Psychology, Iowa State University, Ames 50011 3180, USA
Psychol Aging 12:574-89. 1997..These include loneliness as a precipitant of declines in mental and physical health and nursing home placement as a strategy to gain social contact with others. Implications for preventative interventions are discussed...
- The exercise-induced enhancement of influenza immunity is mediated in part by improvements in psychosocial factors in older adultsM L Kohut
Department of Health and Human Performance, Immunobiology, Gerontology, Animal Science, Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine, Iowa State University, USA
Brain Behav Immun 19:357-66. 2005..Taken together, our findings may suggest that the mechanism(s) of exercise-induced improvement in immunocompetence involve both physiological and psychological pathways...
- Aerobic exercise, but not flexibility/resistance exercise, reduces serum IL-18, CRP, and IL-6 independent of beta-blockers, BMI, and psychosocial factors in older adultsM L Kohut
Department of Health and Human Performance, Immunobiology, Gerontology, Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA
Brain Behav Immun 20:201-9. 2006..In summary, we have observed that an aerobic exercise intervention can significantly reduce serum inflammatory mediators, but beta-adrenergic receptors and psychosocial factors do not appear to be involved...
- Reasoned action and social reaction: willingness and intention as independent predictors of health riskF X Gibbons
Department of Psychology, Iowa State University, Ames 50011, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 74:1164-80. 1998....
- Direct and moderating effects of community context on the psychological well-being of African American womenC E Cutrona
Department of Psychology and Institute for Social and Behavioral Research, Iowa State University, Ames 50010, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 79:1088-101. 2000..Community disorder intensified both the benefits of personal resources and the detrimental effects of personal risk factors. Results showed evidence of resilience among African American women...
- Comparisons of marriage and family therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, and social workers on job-related measures and reactions to managed care in IowaL S Trudeau
Institute for Social and Behavioral Research, Iowa State University, 2625 North Loop Drive, Suite 500, Ames, IA 50010 8296, USA
J Marital Fam Ther 27:501-7. 2001..These findings indicate some dissatisfaction within the MFT profession and may be relevant to practitioners seeking to change or expand their practice, as well as to the needs of MFTs in their training programs...
- Unexpected virilization in male mice lacking steroid 5 alpha-reductase enzymesM S Mahendroo
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Endocrinology 142:4652-62. 2001..We conclude that T is the only androgen required for differentiation of the male urogenital tract in mice and that the synthesis of DHT serves largely as a signal amplification mechanism...
- Tissue distribution and ontogeny of steroid 5 alpha-reductase isozyme expressionA E Thigpen
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235
J Clin Invest 92:903-10. 1993....