Steven J Spear
Affiliation: Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Fixing health care from the inside, todaySteven J Spear
Institute for Healthcare Improvement, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Harv Bus Rev 83:78-91, 158. 2005..Thus, these hospitals are breaking free of the work-around culture that routinely obscures the root causes of so many problems, creates so much waste, and leads to so many unnecessary deaths...
- Fixing healthcare from the inside: teaching residents to heal broken delivery processes as they heal sick patientsSteven J Spear
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 10 Milton Road, Brookline, MA 02445, USA
Acad Med 81:S144-9. 2006..Incorporate development of process improvement skills into residency training so that deepening expertise within specialties is complemented by greater skill at integrating functional knowledge into well-integrated care processes...
- Driving improvement in patient care: lessons from ToyotaDebra N Thompson
UPMC Health System, Pittsburg, PA 15213, USA
J Nurs Adm 33:585-95. 2003..Tracking data further suggest that TPS, with sufficient staff preparation and involvement, has the potential for continuous, lasting, and accelerated improvement in patient care...
- Learning to lead at ToyotaSteven J Spear
Harvard Business School, Boston, USA
Harv Bus Rev 82:78-86, 151. 2004....
- Ambiguity and workarounds as contributors to medical errorSteven J Spear
Harvard Business School, Boston, Massachusetts 02163, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:627-30. 2005..We discuss how such an approach could be initiated in health care more broadly...
- Using real-time problem solving to eliminate central line infectionsRichard P Shannon
Drexel University College of Medicine, Pittsburgh, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 32:479-87. 2006..Two intensive care units (ICUs) redefined the processes of care through system redesign to deliver reliable outcomes free of the variations that created the breeding ground for infection...