Helmut O Steinberg
Affiliation: Indiana University
- Role of amylin in insulin secretion and action in humans: antagonist studies across the spectrum of insulin sensitivityKieren J Mather
Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 18:118-26. 2002..A role for amylin in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM2) has been suggested by in vitro and in vivo studies indicating an effect of amylin to cause insulin resistance and/or inhibit insulin secretion...
- Insulin sensitivity is preserved despite disrupted endothelial functionSudha S Shankar
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, 975 W Walnut, IB 424 D, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E691-6. 2006....
- Obesity and endothelial dysfunctionSudha S Shankar
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Semin Vasc Med 5:56-64. 2005..Better understanding of the mediators of obesity-induced endothelial dysfunction may lead to the identification of new targets for interventions that may prevent or postpone the development of obesity-related cardiovascular disease...
- Interactions between endothelin and nitric oxide in the regulation of vascular tone in obesity and diabetesKieren J Mather
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Diabetes 53:2060-6. 2004..In contrast, endothelin antagonism alone is insufficient to restore impaired NO bioavailability in diabetes...
- Weight loss and endothelial function in obesityKieren J Mather
Diabetes Care 26:1927-8. 2003
- Troglitazone therapy improves endothelial function to near normal levels in women with polycystic ovary syndromeGiancarlo Paradisi
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:576-80. 2003..These modifications are associated with improvement of endothelial function, suggesting that Tgz could be a useful tool to reduce the risk of macrovascular disease in women with PCOS and perhaps in other insulin-resistant syndromes...
- Endothelin contributes to basal vascular tone and endothelial dysfunction in human obesity and type 2 diabetesKieren J Mather
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis School of Medicine, CL459, 541 North Clinical Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Diabetes 51:3517-23. 2002..04), suggesting a combined effect of ET(A) blockade to reduce constrictor tone and augment dilator tone. Endothelin seems to contribute to endothelial dysfunction and the regulation of vascular tone in human obesity and type 2 diabetes...
- Women and heart disease: the role of diabetes and hyperglycemiaElizabeth Barrett-Connor
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:934-42. 2004..Future trials should generate specific data on CVD in women, either by design of female-only studies or by subgroup analysis by sex...
- Indinavir impairs endothelial function in healthy HIV-negative menSudha S Shankar
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am Heart J 150:933. 2005..Potent antiretroviral treatment has drastically reduced mortality in HIV-infected patients but may accelerate atherosclerotic disease, which could be partially mediated via endothelial dysfunction...
- Hyperglycemic clamp assessment of insulin secretory responses in normal subjects treated with olanzapine, risperidone, or placeboMargaret O Sowell
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Co, Corporate Center, Drop Code 1758, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:2918-23. 2002..The results of this study do not support the hypothesis that olanzapine or risperidone directly impair pancreatic beta-cell function...
- Adipose tissue production of hepatocyte growth factor contributes to elevated serum HGF in obesityLauren N Bell
Department of Cellular and Integrative Physiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, 541 North Clinical Drive, Rm CL455, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5111, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E843-8. 2006..Increased HGF secretion from adipocytes of obese subjects may be due to posttranscriptional events possibly related to adipocyte size and stimulation by elevated TNF-alpha in the adipose tissue of obese individuals...
- Acute insulin response and beta-cell compensation in normal subjects treated with olanzapine or risperidone for 2 weeksThomas A Hardy
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Diabetes Care 30:157-8. 2007
- Weight loss and vascular function: the good and the unknownSudha S Shankar
Hypertension 52:57-8. 2008