Marianne S Matthias
Affiliation: Indiana University
- Re-thinking shared decision-making: Context mattersMarianne S Matthias
Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Center on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, USA Regenstrief Institute, Inc, USA Department of Communication Studies, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis IUPUI, USA Electronic address
Patient Educ Couns 91:176-9. 2013..We argue that SDM is shaped not only by initiation of a treatment decision, but also by the entire clinical encounter, and, even more broadly, by the nature of the patient-provider relationship...
- "There's more to this pain than just pain": how patients' understanding of pain evolved during a randomized controlled trial for chronic painMarianne S Matthias
VA HSR and D Center on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Roudebush VA Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Pain 13:571-8. 2012..Traditional quantitative measures of response to pain interventions may not capture the full benefits that patients report experiencing...
- An expanded view of self-management: patients' perceptions of education and support in an intervention for chronic musculoskeletal painMarianne S Matthias
VA HSR and D Center on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Roudebush VA Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Pain Med 13:1018-28. 2012....
- The impact of uncertainty on decision making in prenatal consultations: obstetricians' and midwives' perspectivesMarianne Sassi Matthias
Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Health Commun 25:199-211. 2010....
- The patient-provider relationship in chronic pain care: providers' perspectivesMarianne S Matthias
VA Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence on Implementation of Evidence Based Practices, Roudebush VAMC, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Pain Med 11:1688-97. 2010..Primary care providers (PCPs) face numerous challenges in caring for patients with chronic pain including communication and relational difficulties...
- Barriers and facilitators to chronic pain self-management: a qualitative study of primary care patients with comorbid musculoskeletal pain and depressionMatthew J Bair
VA Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence on Implementation of Evidence Based Practices, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Pain Med 10:1280-90. 2009..To identify barriers and facilitators to self-management of chronic musculoskeletal pain among patients with comorbid pain and depression...
- Decision making in recovery-oriented mental health careMarianne S Matthias
Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 35:305-14. 2012..Because medication management is a key component of recovery from severe mental illnesses, this study explores how consumers and providers make decisions in medication management consultations...
- Self-management support and communication from nurse care managers compared with primary care physicians: a focus group study of patients with chronic musculoskeletal painMarianne S Matthias
Butler University, 4600 Sunset Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46208, USA
Pain Manag Nurs 11:26-34. 2010..The results of this study underscore the importance of the NCM, particularly for patients with chronic conditions such as pain...
- Problematic integration in pregnancy and childbirth: contrasting approaches to uncertainty and desire in obstetric and midwifery careMarianne Sassi Matthias
Department of Communication Studies, Butler University, Indianapolis, IN 46208, USA
Health Commun 24:60-70. 2009..Particularly, this project examines obstetricians and midwives in an effort to discern how these providers differ in their confrontation of mothers' uncertainties...
- The role of patient activation in psychiatric visitsMichelle P Salyers
Department of Psychology, Indiana University Purdue University, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Psychiatr Serv 60:1535-9. 2009..This study identified ways that consumers of mental health services are active participants in psychiatric treatment...
- A coding system to measure elements of shared decision making during psychiatric visitsMichelle P Salyers
Department of Psychology, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, LD124, 402 N Blackford, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Psychiatr Serv 63:779-84. 2012..The purpose of this study was to assess the applicability and usefulness of a scale to measure the presence and extent of shared decision making in clinical decisions in psychiatric practice...
- Coping with chronic illness: information use and treatment adherence among people with diabetesElizabeth M Goering
Department of Communication Studies, Indiana University Purdue University, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Commun Med 7:107-18. 2010..Findings are interpreted within the framework of the Health Belief Model, and implications for designing effective interventions are discussed...