Genomes and Genes
Mark H Kaplan
Affiliation: Indiana University
- Sehra S, Serezani A, OcaÃ±a J, Travers J, Kaplan M. Mast Cells Regulate Epidermal Barrier Function and the Development of AllergicÂ Skin Inflammation. J Invest Dermatol. 2016;136:1429-1437 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies suggest that mast cells regulate epidermal barrier function and have a potential protective role in the development of atopic dermatitis-like disease. ..
- Serezani A, Bozdogan G, Sehra S, Walsh D, Krishnamurthy P, Sierra Potchanant E, et al. IL-4 impairs wound healing potential in the skin by repressing fibronectin expression. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017;139:142-151.e5 pubmed publisher..Keratinocyte gene expression is critically shaped by IL-4, altering cell fate decisions, which are likely important for the clinical manifestations and pathology of allergic skin disease. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Bruns H, Zhang S, Cooper S, Hangoc G, McKenzie A, et al. Th1 cells regulate hematopoietic progenitor cell homeostasis by production of oncostatin M. Immunity. 2002;16:815-25 pubmed..Injection of the Th1 cytokine Oncostatin M but not other cytokines into Stat4-deficient mice recovers progenitor cell activity to wild-type levels. Thus, T helper cells actively regulate hematopoietic progenitor cell homeostasis. ..
- Kaplan M, Glosson N, Stritesky G, Yeh N, Kinzfogl J, Rohrabaugh S, et al. STAT3-dependent IL-21 production from T helper cells regulates hematopoietic progenitor cell homeostasis. Blood. 2011;117:6198-201 pubmed publisher..Importantly, injection of IL-21 rescued HPC activity in mice with STAT3-deficient T cells. Thus, STAT3-dependent IL-21 production in T cells is required for HPC homeostasis. ..
- Sehra S, Krishnamurthy P, Koh B, Zhou H, Seymour L, Akhtar N, et al. Increased Th2 activity and diminished skin barrier function cooperate in allergic skin inflammation. Eur J Immunol. 2016;46:2609-2613 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that skin barrier defects and altered Th2 responses independently cooperate in the pathogenesis of allergic skin inflammation, similar to effects observed in patients with AD. ..