Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Indiana University
- Broxmeyer H. Enhancing the efficacy of engraftment of cord blood for hematopoietic cell transplantation. Transfus Apher Sci. 2016;54:364-72 pubmed publisher..The ultimate goal is to manipulate efficiency and efficacy for safe and economical use of single unit CB HCT. ..
- Mantel C, O Leary H, Chitteti B, Huang X, Cooper S, Hangoc G, et al. Enhancing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Efficacy by Mitigating Oxygen Shock. Cell. 2015;161:1553-65 pubmed publisher..Mitigating EPHOSS during cell collection and processing by pharmacological means may be clinically advantageous for transplantation. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Li J, Hangoc G, Cooper S, Tao W, Mantel C, et al. Regulation of myeloid progenitor cell proliferation/survival by IL-31 receptor and IL-31. Exp Hematol. 2007;35:78-86 pubmed..Under steady-state conditions, loss of IL-31R on HPC does not appear to influence the activity of competitive repopulating HSC. These results with HPC may be of future utility for manipulation of hematopoiesis in a preclinical setting. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Cooper S, Hangoc G, Gao J, Murphy P. Dominant myelopoietic effector functions mediated by chemokine receptor CCR1. J Exp Med. 1999;189:1987-92 pubmed..CCR1 is not a dominant receptor for MIP-1alpha suppression of MPC proliferation, but it does negatively impact G-CSF-induced MPC mobilization. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Cooper S, Kohli L, Hangoc G, Lee Y, Mantel C, et al. Transgenic expression of stromal cell-derived factor-1/CXC chemokine ligand 12 enhances myeloid progenitor cell survival/antiapoptosis in vitro in response to growth factor withdrawal and enhances myelopoiesis in vivo. J Immunol. 2003;170:421-9 pubmed..These results substantiate survival effects of SDF-1/CXCL12, now extended to progenitors engineered to endogenously produce low levels of this cytokine, and demonstrate activity in vivo for SDF-1/CXCL12 in addition to cell trafficking. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Cooper S, Hangoc G, Kim C. Stromal cell-derived factor-1/CXCL12 selectively counteracts inhibitory effects of myelosuppressive chemokines on hematopoietic progenitor cell proliferation in vitro. Stem Cells Dev. 2005;14:199-203 pubmed..Thus, SDF-1/CXCL12 differentially and selectively regulates suppression of HPC proliferation by chemokines. These effects may counter myelosuppressive effects of certain chemokines in vivo, where proliferation of HPCs must be sustained. ..
- Lee M, Mantel C, Lee S, Moon S, Broxmeyer H. MiR-31/SDHA Axis Regulates Reprogramming Efficiency through Mitochondrial Metabolism. Stem Cell Reports. 2016;7:1-10 pubmed publisher..This is supportive of multi-stage reprogramming whereby metabolic remodeling is fundamental. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Hoggatt J, O Leary H, Mantel C, Chitteti B, Cooper S, et al. Dipeptidylpeptidase 4 negatively regulates colony-stimulating factor activity and stress hematopoiesis. Nat Med. 2012;18:1786-96 pubmed publisher..DPP4 inhibition enhanced engraftment in mice without compromising HSC function, suggesting the potential clinical utility of this approach. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Christopherson K, Hangoc G, Cooper S, Mantel C, Renukaradhya G, et al. CD1d expression on and regulation of murine hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells. Blood. 2012;119:5731-41 pubmed publisher..Pretreatment of normal BM cells with CD1d Abs greatly enhanced their engraftment of HSCs. The results of the present study implicate CD1d in a previously unrecognized regulatory role of normal and stressed hematopoiesis. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Kappes F, Mor Vaknin N, Legendre M, Kinzfogl J, Cooper S, et al. DEK regulates hematopoietic stem engraftment and progenitor cell proliferation. Stem Cells Dev. 2012;21:1449-54 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that DEK has potent effects on HSCs, HPCs, and hematopoiesis, information of biological and potential clinical interest. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Mejia J, Hangoc G, Barese C, Dinauer M, Cooper S. SDF-1/CXCL12 enhances in vitro replating capacity of murine and human multipotential and macrophage progenitor cells. Stem Cells Dev. 2007;16:589-96 pubmed..However, the results suggest that SDF-1/CXCL12 enhances in vitro replating/self-renewal of HPCs, which may contribute to myelopoiesis in vivo. This information may be of value to ex vivo expansion of HPCs/HSCs. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Hangoc G, Cooper S, Campbell T, Ito S, Mantel C. AMD3100 and CD26 modulate mobilization, engraftment, and survival of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells mediated by the SDF-1/CXCL12-CXCR4 axis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1106:1-19 pubmed..These results demonstrate the means to increase the mobilization of HPCs, the engrafting capability of HSCs, and responsiveness of HPCs to the survival-enhancing activity of SDF-1/CXCL12, effects that may be of practical value. ..
- Broxmeyer H, Srour E, Cooper S, Wallace C, Hangoc G, Youn B. Angiopoietin-like-2 and -3 act through their coiled-coil domains to enhance survival and replating capacity of human cord blood hematopoietic progenitors. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2012;48:25-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, among ANGPTL family members, ANGPTL-2 and -3 had enhancing activities on human HPC survival and replating activity, effects requiring the CC domain of the ANGPTL molecules. This information is of relevance to hu HPC regulation. ..