Affiliation: Indian Health Service
- Patients with diagnosed diabetes mellitus can be accurately identified in an Indian Health Service patient registration databaseC Wilson
Diabetes Center of Excellence, Phoenix Indian Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
Public Health Rep 116:45-50. 2001..The purpose of this study is to determine the accuracy of this data source, and to identify the optimal search criteria to identify patients with a diagnosis of diabetes in an IHS patient registration database...
- Addition of primary care-based retinal imaging technology to an existing eye care professional referral program increased the rate of surveillance and treatment of diabetic retinopathyCharlton Wilson
Phoenix Indian Medical Center, 4212 N 16th St, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
Diabetes Care 28:318-22. 2005....
- Diabetes outcomes in the Indian health system during the era of the Special Diabetes Program for Indians and the Government Performance and Results ActCharlton Wilson
Indian Health Service, Phoenix Indian Medical Center, 4212 N 16th St, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1518-22. 2005....
- The epidemic of extreme obesity among American Indian and Alaska Native adults with diabetesCharlton Wilson
Indian Health Service, Phoenix Indian Medical Center, 4212 N 16th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 4:A06. 2007....
- Achieving lipid targets in adults with type 2 diabetes: the Stop Atherosclerosis in Native Diabetics StudyMarie Russell
Phoenix Indian Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ, USA
J Clin Lipidol 4:435-43. 2010..Strategies for achieving lower targets have not been explored. The Stop Atherosclerosis in Native Diabetics Study randomized patients with diabetes to standard versus aggressive lipid and blood pressure goals for 36 months...
- Cost-effectiveness of lower targets for blood pressure and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in diabetes: the Stop Atherosclerosis in Native Diabetics Study (SANDS) Charlton Wilson
Phoenix Indian Medical Center, 4212 N 16th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
J Clin Lipidol 4:165-72. 2010..The Stop Atherosclerosis in Native Diabetics Study (SANDS) reported cardiovascular benefit of aggressive versus standard treatment targets for both low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) and blood pressure (BP) in diabetic individuals...
- Effectiveness and safety of medication adjustments by nurse case managers to control hyperglycemiaJeffrey Curtis
Phoenix Epidemiology and Clinical Research Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Phoenix, AZ 85014, USA
Diabetes Educ 35:851-6. 2009..The purpose of this study was to determine the safety and effectiveness of implementing standing orders for nurse case managers to adjust antihyperglycemic medications...
- Determinants of survival for Native American adults with HIV infectionLinda Gorgos
Medical Staff Office, Whiteriver Indian Health Services Hospital, P O Box 860, Whiteriver, Arizona 85941, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 20:586-94. 2006..Earlier diagnosis and access to effective medical treatment will be key factors in reducing disparities in health brought about by HIV infection in Native American/Alaska Native communities...
- Examination of lower targets for low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and blood pressure in diabetes--the Stop Atherosclerosis in Native Diabetics Study (SANDS)Marie Russell
Phoenix Indian Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ, USA
Am Heart J 152:867-75. 2006....
- Preventing type 2 diabetes mellitusJeff Curtis
Phoenix Indian Medical Center, Indian Health Service, Phoenix, Arizona 85016, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 18:37-43. 2005..Although more questions remain to be answered, family physicians now have tools available to help our patients lead lives free of diabetes...
- Hepatitis C infection and type 2 diabetes in American-Indian womenCharlton Wilson
Centers of Excellence, Phoenix Indian Medical Center, 4212 N 16th St, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
Diabetes Care 27:2116-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to describe the association between hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection and type 2 diabetes among a group of American-Indian women who were screened for both conditions...
- Effects of clinical nutrition education and educator discipline on glycemic control outcomes in the Indian health serviceCharlton Wilson
Indian Health Service, Phoenix Indian Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85016, USA
Diabetes Care 26:2500-4. 2003....
- Effects of metformin and weight loss on serum alanine aminotransferase activity in the diabetes prevention programJonathan Krakoff
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:1762-7. 2010..This effect was mediated by weight loss, indicating that the effects of metformin therapy on ALT is via its effects on weight...
- Correlates of mammogram density in southwestern Native-American womenMarilyn A Roubidoux
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Health Systems, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0326, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 12:552-8. 2003..The association of mammogram density with diabetes varied by menopause status and was significant only for premenopausal women...
- Chronic liver disease among two American Indian patient populations in the southwestern United States, 2000-2003Stephanie R Bialek
Division of Viral Hepatitis, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mailstop G 37, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:949-54. 2008..To determine the etiologies of chronic liver disease among American Indians...
- Creating the environment for a successful community partnershipKathryn Coe
Division of Health Promotion Sciences, Mel and Snid Zuckerman College of Public Health MEZCOPH and Shared Service for Special Populations, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5024, USA
Cancer 107:1980-6. 2006..Much of their success is the result of utilizing a participatory model for capacity building that included not only communities but institutions. Cancer 2006. Published 2006 by the American Cancer Society...
- Extension of type 2 diabetes genome-wide association scan results in the diabetes prevention programAllan F Moore
Center for Human Genetic Research, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes 57:2503-10. 2008....
- Effect of lower targets for blood pressure and LDL cholesterol on atherosclerosis in diabetes: the SANDS randomized trialBarbara V Howard
MedStar Research Institute, 6495 New Hampshire Ave, Suite 201, Hyattsville, MD 20783, USA
JAMA 299:1678-89. 2008..Individuals with diabetes are at increased risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD), but more aggressive targets for risk factor control have not been tested...