Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Howard University
- Brim H, Mokarram P, Naghibalhossaini F, Saberi Firoozi M, Al Mandhari M, Al Mawaly K, et al. Impact of BRAF, MLH1 on the incidence of microsatellite instability high colorectal cancer in populations based study. Mol Cancer. 2008;7:68 pubmed publisher..The high occurrence of MSI-H tumors in African Americans may have significant implications for treatment, since patients with MSI-H lesions display a different response to chemotherapeutic agents such as 5-fluorouracil. ..
- Ashktorab H, Dashwood R, Dashwood M, Zaidi S, Hewitt S, Green W, et al. H. pylori-induced apoptosis in human gastric cancer cells mediated via the release of apoptosis-inducing factor from mitochondria. Helicobacter. 2008;13:506-17 pubmed publisher..pylori. Hence, the balance between apoptosis and proliferation in these cells may be altered in response to injury caused by H. pylori infection, leading to an increased risk of cancer. ..
- Ashktorab H, Green W, Finzi G, Sessa F, Nouraie M, Lee E, et al. SEL1L, an UPR response protein, a potential marker of colonic cell transformation. Dig Dis Sci. 2012;57:905-12 pubmed publisher..Since SEL1L's major function lies within ER stress and active ERAD response, it may identify CRCs with differentiated secretory phenotype and acute cellular stress. ..
- Afsari A, Lee E, Shokrani B, Boortalary T, Sherif Z, Nouraie M, et al. Clinical and Pathological Risk Factors Associated with Liver Fibrosis and Steatosis in African-Americans with Chronic Hepatitis C. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:2159-2165 pubmed publisher..5, P = 0.034) and inflammation grade (P = 0.001). This study shows that steatosis is independently associated with fibrosis in African-American patients with HCV infection. Female patients were at higher risk of steatosis. ..
- Ashktorab H, Nguza B, Fatemi M, Nouraie M, Smoot D, Schäffer A, et al. Case-control study of vitamin D, dickkopf homolog 1 (DKK1) gene methylation, VDR gene polymorphism and the risk of colon adenoma in African Americans. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25314 pubmed publisher..We found an inverse association between serum 25(OH)D(3) and colon polyp in AAs. VDR SNPs and DKK1 methylation were not associated with colon polyp. Vitamin D levels may in part explain the higher incidence of polyp in AAs. ..
- Brim H, Yooseph S, Lee E, Sherif Z, Abbas M, Laiyemo A, et al. A Microbiomic Analysis in African Americans with Colonic Lesions Reveals Streptococcus sp.VT162 as a Marker of Neoplastic Transformation. Genes (Basel). 2017;8: pubmed publisher..matched normal and adenomas vs. healthy subjects' stools. Streptococcus sp. VT_162 specific 16S rDNA was validated in an independent cohort. These findings might facilitate non-invasive screening for colorectal cancer. ..