T B Niewold
Affiliation: Hospital for Special Surgery
- Anti-CCP antibody testing as a diagnostic and prognostic tool in rheumatoid arthritisT B Niewold
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th St, New York, NY 10021, USA
QJM 100:193-201. 2007..We discuss anti-CCP antibody testing in rheumatoid arthritis, with an emphasis on diagnostic performance, prognostic capability, and relevance to pathogenesis and new treatment paradigms in rheumatoid arthritis...
- Systemic lupus erythematosus arising during interferon-alpha therapy for cryoglobulinemic vasculitis associated with hepatitis CTimothy B Niewold
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Clin Rheumatol 24:178-81. 2005..The development of SLE during therapy with IFN-alpha could be due to direct immunomodulation by IFN-alpha, and review of experimental data and prior case reports suggests a pathogenic role for IFN-alpha in SLE...
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation due to cytomegalovirus infection in an immunocompetent adult treated with plasma exchangeTimothy B Niewold
Department of Rheumatology, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York 10021, USA
Am J Hematol 81:454-7. 2006..The one previously reported immunocompetent patient with DIC due to acute CMV infection died from the illness despite traditional supportive measures. Plasma exchange is a novel therapy that should be considered in this situation...
- High serum IFN-alpha activity is a heritable risk factor for systemic lupus erythematosusT B Niewold
Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Research, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY, USA
Genes Immun 8:492-502. 2007..The frequency of high IFN-alpha activity was similar across all studied ethnic backgrounds. These data suggest that high serum IFN-alpha activity is a complex heritable trait, which plays a primary role in SLE pathogenesis...
- Rituximab treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in the setting of connective tissue diseaseTimothy B Niewold
Department of Rheumatology Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Rheumatol 33:1194-6. 2006..Rituximab should be considered in this complex clinical setting, because it may decrease the production of multiple pathogenic autoantibodies...
- Concomitant interferon-alpha therapy and tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibition for rheumatoid arthritis and hepatitis CTimothy B Niewold
Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY, USA
Arthritis Rheum 54:2335-7. 2006
- Augmented interferon-alpha pathway activation in patients with Sjögren's syndrome treated with etanerceptClio P Mavragani
Mary Kirkland Center for Lupus Research, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Arthritis Rheum 56:3995-4004. 2007..To address the hypothesis that tumor necrosis factor blockade can result in increased levels of interferon-alpha (IFNalpha) and BAFF, we quantified those mediators in plasma from etanercept- and placebo-treated SS patients...
- Age- and sex-related patterns of serum interferon-alpha activity in lupus familiesTimothy B Niewold
Section of Rheumatology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Arthritis Rheum 58:2113-9. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine whether serum IFNalpha activity in SLE patients and their healthy first-degree relatives is highest in early adulthood, when the incidence of SLE is greatest...
- Association of the IRF5 risk haplotype with high serum interferon-alpha activity in systemic lupus erythematosus patientsTimothy B Niewold
University of Chicago, Section of Rheumatology, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Arthritis Rheum 58:2481-7. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine whether the IRF5 SLE risk haplotype mediates the risk of SLE by predisposing patients to the development of high levels of serum IFNalpha activity...
- Serum type I interferon activity is dependent on maternal diagnosis in anti-SSA/Ro-positive mothers of children with neonatal lupusTimothy B Niewold
University of Chicago, Section of Rheumatology, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Arthritis Rheum 58:541-6. 2008....
- Interferon alpha-induced lupus: proof of principleTimothy B Niewold
J Clin Rheumatol 14:131-2. 2008
- 59-year-old woman with progressive dyspnea on exertionTimothy B Niewold
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 79:1567-70. 2004
- 78-year-old woman with fever, weight loss, and rashTimothy B Niewold
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 78:635-8. 2003