Affiliation: HIV Research Branch
- Prevalence and incidence of herpes simplex virus type 2 infection among male Zimbabwean factory workersW McFarland
Director, HIV Seroepidemiology Unit, San Francisco Dept of Public Health, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
J Infect Dis 180:1459-65. 1999..HSV-2 and HIV seropositivity are strong markers for high-risk sexual behavior. Improved interventions targeted to populations in which the incidence of either viral infection is high are needed...
- HIV surveillance among men who have sex with menW McFarland
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
AIDS 15:S23-32. 2001..To review current approaches to HIV surveillance among men who have sex with men (MSM), identify illustrative best practices and lessons learned, and outline ways to enhance surveillance systems...
- Detection of early HIV infection and estimation of incidence using a sensitive/less-sensitive enzyme immunoassay testing strategy at anonymous counseling and testing sites in San FranciscoW McFarland
Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California 94102 6033, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 22:484-9. 1999..No temporal trend in HIV incidence was noted over the study period. The S/LS strategy provides a practical public health tool to identify early HIV infection and estimate HIV incidence in a variety of study designs and settings...
- HIV is hyperendemic among men who have sex with men in San Francisco: 10-year trends in HIV incidence, HIV prevalence, sexually transmitted infections and sexual risk behaviourS Scheer
San Francisco Department of Public Health, 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94102 6033, USA
Sex Transm Infect 84:493-8. 2008..To evaluate trends in the HIV epidemic among men who have sex with men (MSM) in San Francisco and the implications for HIV prevention...
- Knock-knock: a population-based survey of risk behavior, health care access, and Chlamydia trachomatis infection among low-income women in the San Francisco Bay areaJ D Klausner
STD Prevention and Control Services, San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
J Infect Dis 183:1087-92. 2001..These data demonstrated an approximately 2-3-fold greater burden of infection than routine surveillance data have suggested...
- Increases in sexually transmitted infections and sexual risk behaviour without a concurrent increase in HIV incidence among men who have sex with men in San Francisco: a suggestion of HIV serosorting?H M Truong
University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Sex Transm Infect 82:461-6. 2006..Sexually transmitted infections (STI) and unprotected anal intercourse (UAI) have been increasing among men who have sex with men (MSM) in San Francisco. However, HIV incidence has stabilised...
- Continuing high prevalence of HIV and risk behaviors among young men who have sex with men: the young men's survey in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1992 to 1993 and in 1994 to 1995M H Katz
Department of Public Health of San Francisco, California, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 19:178-81. 1998..5%) between the two surveys. Despite the increased attention that the problem of high risk behavior among young MSM has received, effective prevention interventions for MSM are needed as profoundly now as they had been several years ago...
- Surveillance for incident HIV infection: new technology and new opportunitiesG W Rutherford
AIDS Research Institute, San Francisco, California, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 25:S115-9. 2000..Having an HIV surveillance system that focuses on incident rather than prevalent infection should be our long-term goal...
- Differences in the temporal trends of HIV seroincidence and seroprevalence among sexually transmitted disease clinic patients, 1989-1998: application of the serologic testing algorithm for recent HIV seroconversionS Schwarcz
San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
Am J Epidemiol 153:925-34. 2001..6% per year and remained steady between 1989 and 1998 (odds ratio per year = 0.99, 95% CI: 0.92, 1.1). During a dramatic, 10-year decline in seroprevalence of HIV infection, the incidence of HIV infection remained remarkably stable...
- Very young gay and bisexual men are at risk for HIV infection: the San Francisco Bay Area Young Men's Survey IIC R Waldo
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, AIDS Research Institute, and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94105, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 24:168-74. 2000..To examine drug-use patterns and correlates of sexual risk behavior in both of these age groups...
- Low estimates of HIV seroconversions among clients of a drug treatment clinic in San Francisco, 1995 to 1998W McFarland
Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California 94102 6033, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 23:426-9. 2000..Although detection of no new HIV infections in this population of injection drug users (IDUs) is encouraging, epidemiologic studies among IDUs not in treatment are needed to monitor the HIV epidemic effectively...
- Prevalence of seroadaptive behaviours of men who have sex with men, San Francisco, 2004J M Snowden
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
Sex Transm Infect 85:469-76. 2009..To define and measure the prevalence of HIV seroadaptive behaviours among men who have sex with men (MSM)...
- Incidence of human immunodeficiency virus among male-to-female transgendered persons in San FranciscoT A Kellogg
Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 28:380-4. 2001..To estimate HIV incidence among male-to-female transgendered persons (MtF transgendered persons) who repeatedly tested for HIV antibodies at public San Francisco counseling and testing sites between July 1997 and June 2000...
- The role of individual and neighborhood factors: HIV acquisition risk among high-risk populations in San FranciscoH F Raymond
HIV Epidemiology, San Francisco Department of Public Health, 25 Van Ness, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA, 94102, USA
AIDS Behav 18:346-56. 2014..Prevention interventions must consider neighborhood HIV prevalence, and HIV prevalence in social/sexual networks, in addition to considering individual level behavior change or poverty reduction. ..
- HIV incidence among repeat HIV testers at a county hospital, San Francisco, California, USAT A Kellogg
HIV Seroepidemiology, Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California 94102 6033, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 28:59-64. 2001..To estimate HIV incidence, characterize correlates of HIV seroconversion, and monitor temporal trends in HIV transmission among patients repeatedly tested for HIV by a county hospital in San Francisco...
- Concurrent sexual partnerships and racial disparities in HIV infection among men who have sex with menD D Bohl
University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
Sex Transm Infect 85:367-9. 2009..To measure the level of sexual partner concurrency and assess its potential role in explaining disparities in HIV prevalence by race/ethnicity among men who have sex with men (MSM)...
- Cruising on the Internet highwayA A Kim
HIV Seoepidemiology Unit, San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California 94102, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 28:89-93. 2001..Although meeting partners on the Internet was common and associated with increased risk for STDs in MSM, it also presents new untapped opportunities for on-line health promotion and disease prevention...
- International travel among HIV-positive and HIV-negative men who have sex with men, San Francisco, USAK D Taylor
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, USA
Int J STD AIDS 22:568-70. 2011..Human papillomavirus infection was also higher among international travellers. Travel health services must be improved to address special needs of this population of international travellers...
- Health indicators among low income women who report a history of sex work: the population based Northern California Young Women's SurveyD L Cohan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Sex Transm Infect 81:428-33. 2005..We examined differences in demographic characteristics, HIV related risk behaviour, prevalence of sexually transmitted infections (STI), and HIV and other health concerns among women with and without a history of sex work...
- A novel use of AIDS surveillance data to assess the impact of initial treatment regimen on survivalS Y Chen
San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, CA, USA
Int J STD AIDS 20:330-5. 2009..Our findings support similar survival benefit to persons initiating HAART with non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor- or protease inhibitor-based regimens...
- Availability of combination therapy for HIV: effects on sexual risk taking in a sample of high-risk gay and bisexual menJ W Dilley
University of California, San Francisco AIDS Health Project, Box 0884, San Francisco, CA 94143 0884, USA
AIDS Care 15:27-37. 2003..Also, some men reported already having taken more risk. In conclusion, a small number of men in this high-risk population have increased risk behaviour as a result of recent treatment advances. These results merit continued monitoring...