Affiliation: Harvard University
- PC-1/PrLZ contributes to malignant progression in prostate cancerHui Zhang
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Institute of Biotechnology, Beijing, P R China
Cancer Res 67:8906-13. 2007..Inhibiting PC-1 expression may represent a novel therapeutic strategy to delay prostate cancer progression...
- Electrical impedance myography to assess outcome in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis clinical trialsSeward B Rutkove
Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 118:2413-8. 2007..This study investigates whether EIM could provide a new outcome measure for use in ALS clinical trials work...
- Antibiotic use and the risk of lung cancerHui Zhang
Department Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:1308-15. 2008..Current evidence is insufficient to support or refute a carcinogenic effect of antibiotics...
- A six-month, placebo-controlled trial of D-cycloserine co-administered with conventional antipsychotics in schizophrenia patientsDonald C Goff
Schizophrenia Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 179:144-50. 2005..The strongest evidence for efficacy has come from studies using D-cycloserine at a dose of 50 mg/day added to conventional antipsychotics in trials of 8 weeks duration or less...
- Glucose metabolism in patients with schizophrenia treated with olanzapine or quetiapine: a frequently sampled intravenous glucose tolerance test and minimal model analysisDavid C Henderson
Schizophrenia Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:789-97. 2006..Much less is known regarding other agents such as quetiapine. The objective of this study was to compare matched olanzapine- and quetiapine-treated schizophrenia patients and normal controls on measures of glucose metabolism...
- [The phenotype and function of CD4+ CD25+ regulatory T cells in hepatitis B patients]Jun-liang Fu
Research Center of Biological Therapy, The 302th Hospital of PLA, Beijing 100039, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 45:642-5. 2006..FoxP3 mRNA was specifically expressed in CD4+ CD25+ cell population. Treg could suppress HBV antigen-specific T cell response in vitro. The study furthers our understanding of Treg's role in immunopathogenesis of hepatitis B...
- Trial of celecoxib in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisMerit E Cudkowicz
Neurology Clinical Trials Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, 02172, USA
Ann Neurol 60:22-31. 2006..To determine whether chronic treatment with celecoxib, a cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor that has been shown to be beneficial in preclinical testing, is safe and effective in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)...
- PD-1 up-regulation is correlated with HIV-specific memory CD8+ T-cell exhaustion in typical progressors but not in long-term nonprogressorsJi Yuan Zhang
Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Blood 109:4671-8. 2007..Blocking the PD-1/PD-L1 pathway may represent a new therapeutic option for this disease and provide more insight into immune pathogenesis in LTNPs...
- Increased regulatory T cells correlate with CD8 T-cell impairment and poor survival in hepatocellular carcinoma patientsJunliang Fu
Research Center for Biological Therapy, Beijing Institute of Infectious Diseases, Beijing 302 Hospital, Beijing, China
Gastroenterology 132:2328-39. 2007....
- Increased incidence of deep venous thrombosis in ALSM Muddasir Qureshi
Neurology Clinical Trials Unit, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Neurology 68:76-7. 2007
- Impact of atrial fibrillation on tricuspid and mitral annular dilatation and valvular regurgitationXiaoyan Zhou
First Department of Internal Medicine, Kagoshima University School of Medicine, Japan
Circ J 66:913-6. 2002..65, p < 0.001). Lone AF is associated with annular dilatation of both mitral and tricuspid valves, but the annular dilatation and valvular regurgitation are significantly greater in the tricuspid valve...
- [Surgery for BPH with impaired detrusor contractility: a report of 12 cases]Yong Sheng Song
Department of Urology, Shengjing Hospital Affiliated to China Medical University, Shenyang, Liaoning 110004, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 13:804-6. 2007..To assess the outcome of prostatectomy simultaneously with suprapubic punctual cystostomy for BPH patients with impaired detrusor contractility...
- Stimulation of alpha2-adrenoceptors suppresses excitatory synaptic transmission in the medial prefrontal cortex of ratXiao Hua Ji
Institute of Neurobiology, Institutes of Brain Science, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:2263-71. 2008..The present study provides the first electrophysiological evidence that stimulation of alpha2A-AR inhibits excitatory synaptic transmission in the mPFC through a post-synaptic mechanism...
- High-dimensional spatial normalization of diffusion tensor images improves the detection of white matter differences: an example study using amyotrophic lateral sclerosisHui Zhang
Penn Image Computing and Science Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 26:1585-97. 2007..We also found that high-dimensional approaches, by leveraging full tensor features instead of tensor-derived indices, can further improve the alignment of WM tracts...
- Prospective study of liver transplant recipients with HCV infection: evidence for a causal relationship between HCV and insulin resistanceAymin Delgado-Borrego
Gastrointestinal Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Liver Transpl 14:193-201. 2008..Higher HCV RNA levels were associated with earlier elevations in HOMA-IR. Collectively, these results provide strong evidence that HCV induces the development of IR...
- Effects of allicin supplementation on plasma markers of exercise-induced muscle damage, IL-6 and antioxidant capacityQuan Sheng Su
Chengdu Physical Education University, No 2 Ti Yuan Road, 610041 Chengdu, China
Eur J Appl Physiol 103:275-83. 2008..The results suggested that allicin might be a potential agent to reduce EIMD. Further studies concerning anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative effects of allicin on EIMD are needed...
- TIP30 is associated with progression and metastasis of prostate cancerHui Zhang
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Int J Cancer 123:810-6. 2008..These data provide evidence that TIP30 plays a role in prostate cancer progression and that TIP30 overexpression may promote prostate cancer cell growth and metastasis...
- HIV-1 Tat protein alter the tight junction integrity and function of retinal pigment epithelium: an in vitro studyLing Bai
Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Ministry of Education Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510060, PR China
BMC Infect Dis 8:77. 2008..This study is to determine the effects of HIV-1 Tat proteins on the barrier function and tight-junction protein expression of retinal pigment epithelial cell (RPE)...
- The prognostic significance of preoperative plasma levels of osteopontin in patients with hepatocellular carcinomaHui Zhang
Liver Cancer Institute and Zhongshan Hospital, Institutes of Biomedical Science, Fudan University, 180 Feng Lin Road, Shanghai, 200032, China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 132:709-17. 2006..This suggests that the preoperative plasma OPN level can be used as a predictive marker for HCC recurrence and may be helpful to assess the prognosis of patients with HCC after surgery...
- Circulating and liver resident CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells actively influence the antiviral immune response and disease progression in patients with hepatitis BDongping Xu
Beijing Institute of Infectious Diseases, Beijing 302 Hospital, 100 Xi Si Huan Middle Road, Beijing 100039, China
J Immunol 177:739-47. 2006..Together, our findings suggest that CD4+CD25+ Treg play an active role not only in modulating effectors of immune response to HBV infection, but also in influencing the disease prognosis in patients with hepatitis B...
- Real-time decoding of dopamine concentration changes in the caudate-putamen during tonic and phasic firingB Jill Venton
Department of Chemistry and Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3290, USA
J Neurochem 87:1284-95. 2003..These simulations show that synchronous phasic firing can produce spatially and temporally heterogeneous concentration profiles whereas asynchronous tonic firing elicits uniform, steady-state dopamine concentrations...
- Glutamate spillover in the striatum depresses dopaminergic transmission by activating group I metabotropic glutamate receptorsHui Zhang
Department of Neurology, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Neurosci 23:10585-92. 2003..Thus, under conditions in which glutamate escapes the confines of its synapse, it can elicit the presynaptic suppression of dopaminergic neurotransmission...
- A correlative study between prevalence of chondromalacia patellae and sports injury in 4068 studentsHui Zhang
Affiliated Hospital of Taishan Medical College, Taishan, Shandong Province 271000, China
Chin J Traumatol 6:370-4. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: In both female and male students, the prevalence of chondromalacia patella is higher in gymnastic department than nongymnastic department. Sports injury is an important cause of chondromalacia patella...
- [Analysis of nosocomial methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus pulmonary infection in patients with coal miners' pneumoconiosis]Wen-shou Xu
Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi 22:71-2. 2004
- Regulation of the development of mesencephalic dopaminergic systems by the selective expression of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in their targetsNikolai Kholodilov
Department of Neurology, Psychiatry, Pharmacology, and Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Neurosci 24:3136-46. 2004..GDNF in VTA targets, however, is sufficient to regulate the adult number of DA neurons...
- Risk factors for recurrence of postoperative trichiasis: implications for trachoma blindness preventionHui Zhang
Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 122:511-6. 2004..CONCLUSION: To our knowledge, this is the first study to demonstrate that chlamydial infection at the time of surgery and at follow-up is a significant risk factor for postoperative TT recurrence...
- Methyl-CpG-binding domain 2: a protective role in bladder carcinomaYong Zhu
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 100:1853-8. 2004..In the current case-control study, the authors investigated the association between MBD2 expression and bladder carcinoma risk...
- Heterosynaptic dopamine neurotransmission selects sets of corticostriatal terminalsNigel S Bamford
Department of Neurology, University of Washington, Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98105 USA
Neuron 42:653-63. 2004..Thus, dopamine, by filtering less active inputs, appears to reinforce specific sets of corticostriatal synaptic connections...
- Androgen receptor polymorphisms and risk of biochemical failure among prostatectomy patientsSara S Strom
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Prostate 60:343-51. 2004..Little is known about the role of inherited genotypes in prostate cancer (PC) progression. This prospective study evaluated the predictive value of androgen receptor (AR) polymorphisms (CAG and GGC repeats) among prostatectomy patients...
- Maximum voluntary isometric contraction (MVIC)Merit Cudkowicz
Neurology Clinical Trials Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord 5:84-5. 2004
- [Inhibitory effect of 4-1BBL combined with Hsp70-tumor antigen peptides on pulmonary metastasis of melanoma in mice]Hui Qiu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei, 430030, PR China
Ai Zheng 24:781-6. 2005..CONCLUSION: 4-1BBL in combination with Hsp70-B16 peptides can effectively inhibit melanoma pulmonary metastasis mainly through augmenting the function of peripheral T lymphocytes...
- The existence of a linear system consisting of sympathetic endings in rat skinLi Yuan Liu
College of Life Science, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, 100875, China
Anat Embryol (Berl) 210:91-100. 2005..These results are discussed in terms of physiological functions associated with hair follicles, sensory signal pathways and Meridians in Chinese traditional medicine...
- Transcriptional and behavioral interaction between 22q11.2 orthologs modulates schizophrenia-related phenotypes in miceMarta Paterlini
Department of Physiology and Cellular Biophysics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 701 West 168th Street, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:1586-94. 2005..This interaction modulates a number of schizophrenia-related phenotypes, providing a framework for understanding the high disease risk associated with this locus, the expression of the phenotype, or both...
- Prevention of fatal arrhythmias in high-risk subjects by fish oil n-3 fatty acid intakeAlexander Leaf
Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Circulation 112:2762-8. 2005..Therefore, we hypothesized that these n-3 fatty acids might prevent potentially fatal ventricular arrhythmias in high-risk patients...
- HSP70 vaccine in combination with gene therapy with plasmid DNA encoding sPD-1 overcomes immune resistance and suppresses the progression of pulmonary metastatic melanomaHui Geng
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, The People's Republic of China
Int J Cancer 118:2657-64. 2006..These findings suggest that the treatment with HSP70 vaccine followed by blockade of tumor-B7-H1 with sPD-1 may provide a promising approach for tumor immunotherapy...
- Statistical modeling of shape and appearance using the continuous medial representationPaul A Yushkevich
Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv Int Conf Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 8:725-32. 2005..The approach is illustrated by the principal components analysis of the shape and appearance of the hippocampus in T1-weighted MRI from a schizophrenia study...
- Arimoclomol at dosages up to 300 mg/day is well tolerated and safe in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisMerit E Cudkowicz
Neurology Clinical Trials Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, 13th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Muscle Nerve 38:837-44. 2008..Arimoclomol CSF levels increased with dose. Arimoclomol was shown to be safe, and it crosses the blood-brain barrier. Serum pharmacokinetic profiles support dosing of three times per day. An efficacy study in ALS is planned...