Genomes and Genes
R Y Zee
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Zee R, Ridker P, Chasman D. Mitochondrial uncoupling protein gene cluster variation (UCP2-UCP3) and the risk of incident type 2 diabetes mellitus: the Women's Genome Health Study. Atherosclerosis. 2011;214:107-9 pubmed publisher..Further investigation using stratified analysis, and haplotype-based approach showed similar null findings. The present investigation suggests that the UCP gene cluster variation may not be useful predictor for T2DM risk assessment. ..
- Zee R, Lunze K, Lindpaintner K, Ridker P. A prospective evaluation of the interleukin-1 receptor antagonist intron 2 gene polymorphism and the risk of myocardial infarction. Thromb Haemost. 2001;86:1141-3 pubmed..These data also highlight the importance of hypothesis testing studies in genetic epidemiology, particularly for hypotheses generated from small samples or post hoc subgroup analyses. ..
- Zee R, Ridker P, Chasman D. Genetic variants in eleven telomere-associated genes and the risk of incident cardio/cerebrovascular disease: The Women's Genome Health Study. Clin Chim Acta. 2011;412:199-202 pubmed publisher..The present large prospective study encourages further investigation of the biological role of telomere-associated pathway genes in the pathogenesis and early assessment of vascular events. ..
- Zee R, Hennessey H, Michaud S, Ridker P. Genetic variants within the interleukin-1 gene cluster, and risk of incident myocardial infarction, and ischemic stroke: a nested case-control approach. Atherosclerosis. 2008;201:124-9 pubmed publisher..In contrast to prior retrospective studies, our prospective data suggest that the IL-1 cluster gene variation is not associated with risk of athero-thrombotic disorders. ..
- Zee R, Cheng S, Erlich H, Lindpaintner K, Rifai N, Buring J, et al. Intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM1) Lys56Met and Gly241Arg gene variants, plasma-soluble ICAM1 concentrations, and risk of incident cardiovascular events in 23,014 initially healthy white women. Stroke. 2007;38:3152-7 pubmed
- Zee R, Michaud S, Diehl K, Chasman D, Emmerich J, Gaussem P, et al. Purinergic receptor P2Y, G-protein coupled, 12 gene variants and risk of incident ischemic stroke, myocardial infarction, and venous thromboembolism. Atherosclerosis. 2008;197:694-9 pubmed..The present investigation provides evidence for an association of the P2RY12 haplotype H2 with lower risk of DVT/PE; however these findings require replication in other well-designed studies. ..
- Zee R, Brophy V, Cheng S, Hegener H, Erlich H, Ridker P. Polymorphisms of the phosphodiesterase 4D, cAMP-specific (PDE4D) gene and risk of ischemic stroke: a prospective, nested case-control evaluation. Stroke. 2006;37:2012-7 pubmed..Although of borderline statistical significance, the direction and magnitude of the effect for SNP42 parallels that observed in a recent study evaluating women from an independent, nested case-control study. ..
- Zee R, Cheng S, Hegener H, Erlich H, Ridker P. Genetic variants of arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein, and risk of incident myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke: a nested case-control approach. Stroke. 2006;37:2007-11 pubmed..82, 95% CI, 0.47 to 1.42; P=0.47). We found no evidence for an association of the specific Icelandic ALOX5P gene variants/at-risk haplotypes tested with risk of incident MI nor ischemic stroke in this prospective, non-Icelandic study. ..
- Zee R, Romero J, Gould J, Ricupero D, Ridker P. Polymorphisms in the advanced glycosylation end product-specific receptor gene and risk of incident myocardial infarction or ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2006;37:1686-90 pubmed..We found an association of specific AGER promoter gene haplotypes with reduced risk of incident myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke that was independent of the presence of diabetes. ..
- Zee R, Cook N, Cheng S, Erlich H, Lindpaintner K, Ridker P. Polymorphism in the beta2-adrenergic receptor and lipoprotein lipase genes as risk determinants for idiopathic venous thromboembolism: a multilocus, population-based, prospective genetic analysis. Circulation. 2006;113:2193-200 pubmed..These present findings are hypothesis generating and require replication and confirmation in an independent investigation. ..
- Zee R, Cook N, Cheng S, Erlich H, Lindpaintner K, Ridker P. Multi-locus candidate gene polymorphisms and risk of myocardial infarction: a population-based, prospective genetic analysis. J Thromb Haemost. 2006;4:341-8 pubmed..The present investigation highlights the importance of replication and validation of findings from genetic association studies. ..
- Zee R, Hegener H, Gould J, Ridker P. Toll-like receptor 4 Asp299Gly gene polymorphism and risk of atherothrombosis. Stroke. 2005;36:154-7 pubmed..In contrast to previous data, the D299G TLR4 polymorphism was not associated with risk of incident MI or stroke in this large prospective study of US men. ..
- Zee R, Cook N, Reynolds R, Cheng S, Ridker P. Haplotype analysis of the beta2 adrenergic receptor gene and risk of myocardial infarction in humans. Genetics. 2005;169:1583-7 pubmed..In conclusion, variation in haplotype frequencies for the beta2 adrenergic receptor gene was found to be associated with risk of myocardial infarction. ..
- Zee R, Cook N, Cheng S, Erlich H, Lindpaintner K, Lee R, et al. Threonine for alanine substitution in the eotaxin (CCL11) gene and the risk of incident myocardial infarction. Atherosclerosis. 2004;175:91-4 pubmed..If confirmed in other cohorts, these data support the emerging hypothesis that eotaxin participates in atherosclerosis. ..
- Zee R, Cook N, Kim C, Fernandez Cruz A, Lindpaintner K. TP53 haplotype-based analysis and incidence of post-angioplasty restenosis. Hum Genet. 2004;114:386-90 pubmed..Furthermore, our study demonstrates that a haplotype-based approach can be more informative than a single-marker or marker-by-marker analysis. ..
- Zee R, Ridker P, Cook N. Prospective evaluation of the alcohol dehydrogenase gamma1/gamma2 gene polymorphism and risk of stroke. Stroke. 2004;35:e39-42 pubmed..These data raise the possibility of important pathologic differences in ischemia between the coronary and cerebral circulations. ..
- Zee R, Bates D, Ridker P. A prospective evaluation of the heat shock protein 70 gene polymorphisms and the risk of stroke. Thromb Haemost. 2002;87:622-5 pubmed..In this large, prospective study, genetic polymorphisms in the HSP70 genes were not associated with risks of future stroke. Screening for these polymorphisms is unlikely to be a useful tool for risk assessment. ..