Robert H Shmerling
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Does this patient have temporal arteritis?Gerald W Smetana
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
JAMA 287:92-101. 2002..The diagnostic value of particular signs and symptoms among patients with suspected TA is unknown...
- Management of gout: a 57-year-old man with a history of podagra, hyperuricemia, and mild renal insufficiencyRobert H Shmerling
Division of Rheumatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
JAMA 308:2133-41. 2012..In the near future, it is likely that new risk factors for gout will be identified and new ways of preventing and managing this common disease will become available...
- Diagnostic tests for rheumatic disease: clinical utility revisitedRobert H Shmerling
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston MA, USA
South Med J 98:704-11; quiz 712-3, 728. 2005..Anticitrullinated cyclic protein (anti-CCP), a newly described autoantibody that may be highly specific for rheumatoid arthritis, requires additional study as its utility in clinical practice is uncertain...
- An 81-year-old woman with temporal arteritisRobert H Shmerling
Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Mass 02215, USA
JAMA 295:2525-34. 2006
- Chronic musculoskeletal pain and the occurrence of falls in an older populationSuzanne G Leveille
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
JAMA 302:2214-21. 2009..Chronic pain is a major contributor to disability in older adults; however, the potential role of chronic pain as a risk factor for falls is poorly understood...
- Screening for statin-related toxicity: the yield of transaminase and creatine kinase measurements in a primary care settingC Christopher Smith
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:688-92. 2003..We performed a study to determine the yield of routine screening of aminotransferase and CK levels among patients taking statins...
- Using antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody testing to diagnose vasculitis: can test-ordering guidelines improve diagnostic accuracy?Lisa A Mandl
Robert B Brigham Multipurpose Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Disease Center, Boston, Mass, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:1509-14. 2002..It is unclear how accurate ANCA measurement is for diagnosing AAV in diverse populations or whether proposed ANCA test-ordering guidelines improve test performance...
- Autoantibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus--there before you know itRobert H Shmerling
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1499-500. 2003
- Tender point count, pain, and mobility in the older population: the mobilize Boston studyLaura H P Eggermont
Alzheimer s Disease Clinical and Research Program, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Pain 11:62-70. 2010..47, 95%CI, 1.09-5.62). These findings portray a significant mobility burden related to tender-point count and multisite and widespread pain in the older population. Future studies using longitudinal methods are warranted...