C N Serhan
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Serhan C, Jain A, Marleau S, Clish C, Kantarci A, Behbehani B, et al. Reduced inflammation and tissue damage in transgenic rabbits overexpressing 15-lipoxygenase and endogenous anti-inflammatory lipid mediators. J Immunol. 2003;171:6856-65 pubmed..Moreover, they suggest that LXs can be targets for novel approaches to diseases, e.g., periodontitis and arthritis, where inflammation and bone destruction are features. ..
- Orr S, Colas R, Dalli J, Chiang N, Serhan C. Proresolving actions of a new resolvin D1 analog mimetic qualifies as an immunoresolvent. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2015;308:L904-11 pubmed publisher..Moreover, they provide evidence for a new analog mimetic and example of an immunoresolvent, namely an agent that stimulates active resolution of inflammation, for a potential new therapeutic class. ..
- Serhan C, Fredman G, Yang R, Karamnov S, Belayev L, Bazan N, et al. Novel proresolving aspirin-triggered DHA pathway. Chem Biol. 2011;18:976-87 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that AT-(NPD1/PD1) is a potent anti-inflammatory proresolving molecule. ..
- Serhan C. Clues for new therapeutics in osteoporosis and periodontal disease: new roles for lipoxygenases?. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2004;8:643-52 pubmed..This article discusses the recent findings that may link aberrant LOX pathway expression in these diseases, suggesting new avenues for therapeutic approaches via activation of endogenous pathways for resolution of local inflammation. ..
- Dalli J, Ramon S, Norris P, Colas R, Serhan C. Novel proresolving and tissue-regenerative resolvin and protectin sulfido-conjugated pathways. FASEB J. 2015;29:2120-36 pubmed publisher..These resolvin and protectin conjugates identified in mice and human infected tissues control host responses promoting catabasis. ..
- Serhan C, Chiang N, Dalli J. The resolution code of acute inflammation: Novel pro-resolving lipid mediators in resolution. Semin Immunol. 2015;27:200-15 pubmed publisher..This review covers these SPM mechanisms and other new omega-3 PUFA pathways that open their path for functions in resolution physiology. ..
- Serhan C, Yang R, Martinod K, Kasuga K, Pillai P, Porter T, et al. Maresins: novel macrophage mediators with potent antiinflammatory and proresolving actions. J Exp Med. 2009;206:15-23 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that maresins and this new metabolome may be involved in some of the beneficial actions of DHA and MPhis in tissue homeostasis, inflammation resolution, wound healing, and host defense. ..
- Serhan C, Dalli J, Karamnov S, Choi A, Park C, Xu Z, et al. Macrophage proresolving mediator maresin 1 stimulates tissue regeneration and controls pain. FASEB J. 2012;26:1755-65 pubmed publisher..Moreover, immunoresolvents of the innate immune response, such as MaR1, offer new opportunities for assessing M?s and their local DHA metabolome in the return to tissue homeostasis. ..
- Serhan C. Novel chemical mediators in the resolution of inflammation: resolvins and protectins. Anesthesiol Clin. 2006;24:341-64 pubmed..In view of the essential roles of DHA and EPA in human biology and medicine uncovered to date, the physiologic relevance of the resolvins and protectins is likely to extend beyond our current appreciation. ..
- Dalli J, Vlasakov I, Riley I, Rodriguez A, Spur B, Petasis N, et al. Maresin conjugates in tissue regeneration biosynthesis enzymes in human macrophages. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:12232-12237 pubmed..Together these results establish the MCTR biosynthetic pathway and provide mechanisms in tissue repair and regeneration. ..
- Arnardottir H, Dalli J, Norling L, Colas R, Perretti M, Serhan C. Resolvin D3 Is Dysregulated in Arthritis and Reduces Arthritic Inflammation. J Immunol. 2016;197:2362-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings provide evidence for dysregulated endogenous RvD3 levels in inflamed paw joints and its potent actions in reducing murine arthritis. ..
- Ramon S, Dalli J, Sanger J, Winkler J, Aursnes M, Tungen J, et al. The Protectin PCTR1 Is Produced by Human M2 Macrophages and Enhances Resolution of Infectious Inflammation. Am J Pathol. 2016;186:962-73 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that PCTR1 is a potent monocyte/macrophage agonist, regulating key anti-inflammatory and pro-resolving processes during bacterial infection. ..
- Norris P, Arnardottir H, Sanger J, Fichtner D, Keyes G, Serhan C. Resolvin D3 multi-level proresolving actions are host protective during infection. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2016;: pubmed publisher..These results provide additional evidence for potent RvD3 immunoresolvent actions in host defense, host protection and antimicrobial defense. ..
- Wang C, Colas R, Dalli J, Arnardottir H, Nguyen D, Hasturk H, et al. Maresin 1 Biosynthesis and Proresolving Anti-infective Functions with Human-Localized Aggressive Periodontitis Leukocytes. Infect Immun. 2015;84:658-65 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that therapeutics targeting the Maresin pathway have clinical utility in treating LAP and other oral diseases associated with infection, inflammation, and altered phagocyte functions. ..
- Shinohara M, Kibi M, Riley I, Chiang N, Dalli J, Kraft B, et al. Cell-cell interactions and bronchoconstrictor eicosanoid reduction with inhaled carbon monoxide and resolvin D1. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2014;307:L746-57 pubmed publisher..Together they suggest a potential therapeutic role of low-dose inhaled CO in organ protection, as demonstrated using mouse I/R-initiated lung injury, baboon infections, and human whole blood. ..
- Chiang N, Dalli J, Colas R, Serhan C. Identification of resolvin D2 receptor mediating resolution of infections and organ protection. J Exp Med. 2015;212:1203-17 pubmed publisher..Together, these results provide evidence for a novel RvD2-GPR18 resolution axis that stimulates human and mouse phagocyte functions to control bacterial infections and promote organ protection. ..
- Serhan C, Fierro I, Chiang N, Pouliot M. Cutting edge: nociceptin stimulates neutrophil chemotaxis and recruitment: inhibition by aspirin-triggered-15-epi-lipoxin A4. J Immunol. 2001;166:3650-4 pubmed..The present results identify nociceptin as a potent chemoattractant and provide a novel link between the neural and immune systems that are blocked by aspirin-triggered lipid mediators and may be relevant in neurogenic inflammation. ..
- Colas R, Dalli J, Chiang N, Vlasakov I, Sanger J, Riley I, et al. Identification and Actions of the Maresin 1 Metabolome in Infectious Inflammation. J Immunol. 2016;197:4444-4452 pubmed..Together these findings establish the temporal regulation of MaR1 during infectious inflammation, and elucidate the structures and actions of two novel MaR1 further metabolites that carry bioactivities. ..
- Dalli J, Colas R, Arnardottir H, Serhan C. Vagal Regulation of Group 3 Innate Lymphoid Cells and the Immunoresolvent PCTR1 Controls Infection Resolution. Immunity. 2017;46:92-105 pubmed publisher..Together these findings elucidate a host protective mechanism mediated by ILC3-derived pro-resolving circuit, including PCTR1, that is controlled by local neuronal output to regulate tissue resolution tone and myeloid cell responses. ..