Tom A Rapoport
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Tripathi A, Mandon E, Gilmore R, Rapoport T. Two alternative binding mechanisms connect the protein translocation Sec71-Sec72 complex with heat shock proteins. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:8007-8018 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that translocation substrates can be recruited to the Sec71-Sec72 complex either post-translationally through Ssa1 or co-translationally through Ssb1. ..
- Li L, Fierer J, Rapoport T, Howarth M. Structural analysis and optimization of the covalent association between SpyCatcher and a peptide Tag. J Mol Biol. 2014;426:309-17 pubmed publisher..Together, these results give insight into split protein β-strand complementation and enhance a distinct approach to ultrastable molecular interaction. ..
- Baldridge R, Rapoport T. Autoubiquitination of the Hrd1 Ligase Triggers Protein Retrotranslocation in ERAD. Cell. 2016;166:394-407 pubmed publisher..Ubiquitination of lysines in Hrd1's RING-finger domain is required for substrate retrotranslocation in vitro and for ERAD in vivo. Our results suggest that Hrd1 forms a ubiquitin-gated protein-conducting channel. ..
- Chen Y, Bauer B, Rapoport T, GUMBART J. Conformational Changes of the Clamp of the Protein Translocation ATPase SecA. J Mol Biol. 2015;427:2348-59 pubmed publisher..Mutational disruption of clamp opening or closure abolishes protein translocation. These results suggest how conformational changes of SecA allow substrate binding and movement during protein translocation. ..
- Markgraf D, Klemm R, Junker M, Hannibal Bach H, Ejsing C, Rapoport T. An ER protein functionally couples neutral lipid metabolism on lipid droplets to membrane lipid synthesis in the ER. Cell Rep. 2014;6:44-55 pubmed publisher..Our results show that Ice2p functionally links LDs with the ER and explain how cells switch neutral lipid metabolism from storage to consumption. ..
- Bodnar N, Rapoport T. Molecular Mechanism of Substrate Processing by the Cdc48 ATPase Complex. Cell. 2017;169:722-735.e9 pubmed publisher..Together, these results lead to a new paradigm for the function of Cdc48 and its mammalian ortholog p97/VCP. ..
- Liu T, Bian X, Romano F, Shemesh T, Rapoport T, Hu J. Cis and trans interactions between atlastin molecules during membrane fusion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E1851-60 pubmed publisher..We propose a comprehensive model for ATL-mediated fusion that takes into account futile tethering and competition between cis and trans interactions. ..
- Shemesh T, Klemm R, Romano F, Wang S, VAUGHAN J, Zhuang X, et al. A model for the generation and interconversion of ER morphologies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E5243-51 pubmed publisher..e., small triangular sheets with concave edges. The model agrees with experimental observations and explains how curvature-stabilizing proteins determine ER morphology. ..
- Stein A, Ruggiano A, Carvalho P, Rapoport T. Key steps in ERAD of luminal ER proteins reconstituted with purified components. Cell. 2014;158:1375-1388 pubmed publisher..Cdc48p-dependent membrane extraction of polyubiquitinated proteins can be reproduced with reconstituted proteoliposomes. Our results suggest a model for retrotranslocation in which Hrd1p forms a membrane conduit for misfolded proteins. ..