Benedikt L Proffen
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Effect of low-temperature ethylene oxide and electron beam sterilization on the in vitro and in vivo function of reconstituted extracellular matrix-derived scaffoldsBenedikt L Proffen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sports Medicine Research Laboratory, Children s Hospital Boston Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Biomater Appl 30:435-49. 2015..This is a critical step toward translating new tissue engineering strategies to clinical trials. ..
- Addition of autologous mesenchymal stem cells to whole blood for bioenhanced ACL repair has no benefit in the porcine modelBenedikt L Proffen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Sports Med 43:320-30. 2015..Whether the enrichment of whole blood with MSCs would further improve the in vivo results of bioenhanced ACL repair was investigated...
- Surgical management of osteoarthritisBenedikt Proffen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Childrens Hospital Boston, 300 Longwood Avenue, Enders 1016, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Wien Med Wochenschr 163:243-50. 2013..Careful preoperative planning, informing the patient accurately about the chances of success, and discussing the patient's expectations are essential aspects of the treatment...
- Mesenchymal stem cells from the retropatellar fat pad and peripheral blood stimulate ACL fibroblast migration, proliferation, and collagen gene expressionB L Proffen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Connect Tissue Res 54:14-21. 2013..This was not seen for the PBMCs. Thus, the effects of MSCs on in situ ACL fibroblasts were found to be source dependent, and the choice of MSC source should take into account the different performance characteristic of each type of MSC...
- A comparative anatomical study of the human knee and six animal speciesBenedikt L Proffen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital of Boston, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Knee 19:493-9. 2012..Therefore, the purpose of this study was to compare the anatomy of the intra-articular structures of the human knee to species commonly used in large animal research studies...
- Electron beam sterilization does not have a detrimental effect on the ability of extracellular matrix scaffolds to support in vivo ligament healingBenedikt L Proffen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sports Medicine Research Laboratory, Children s Hospital Boston Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
J Orthop Res 33:1015-23. 2015..Electron beam irradiation was able to effectively sterilize the scaffolds. In addition, this technique had only a minimal impact on the in vivo function of the scaffolds when used for ligament healing in the porcine model...
- Bridge-enhanced ACL repair: A review of the science and the pathway through FDA investigational device approvalBenedikt L Proffen
Sports Medicine Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston Children s Hospital Harvard Medical School, Enders Building, Room 270, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA, 02115, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 43:805-18. 2015....
- Bio-enhanced repair of the anterior cruciate ligamentBenedikt L Proffen
Sports Medicine Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, U S A
Arthroscopy 31:990-7. 2015..These findings have led to a renewed interest in bio-enhanced primary repair as a way to make repair of the ACL a viable option for a select group of patients in the future. ..
- Sex Influences the Biomechanical Outcomes of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in a Preclinical Large Animal ModelAta M Kiapour
Sports Medicine Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Sports Med 43:1623-31. 2015..The risk of anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury is 2 to 10 times greater in women than men. While the effect of sex on injury risk is well established, its effects on surgical outcomes remain controversial...
- A normative study of the synovial fluid proteome from healthy porcine knee jointsTue Bennike
Department of Pathology and Proteomics Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Urology, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, United States
J Proteome Res 13:4377-87. 2014..Knowing the synovial fluid proteome of a healthy joint will help to identify mechanisms that cause joint disease and pathways involved in disease progression. ..
- Expression of modulators of extracellular matrix structure after anterior cruciate ligament injuryCarla M Haslauer
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
Wound Repair Regen 22:103-10. 2014..The relative lack of provisional scaffold formation within the joint environment may thus be one of the key reasons for ACL degradation after injury. ..