Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Perrimon N, Ni J, Perkins L. In vivo RNAi: today and tomorrow. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2010;2:a003640 pubmed publisher..Further, we discuss the applications of RNAi technologies to crop improvement, pest control and RNAi therapeutics, thus providing an appreciation of the potential for phenomenal applications of RNAi to agriculture and medicine. ..
- Ewen Campen B, Perrimon N. ovoD Co-selection: A Method for Enriching CRISPR/Cas9-Edited Alleles in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2018;8:2749-2756 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our results demonstrate that ovoD co-selection reduces the amount of screening necessary to isolate desired CRISPR events in Drosophila. ..
- Droujinine I, Yan D, Perrimon N. A sharp end to sugary Wingless travels. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:819-21 pubmed publisher..http://dx.doi.org/10.1083/jcb.201403084) demonstrate a potential mechanism by which the heparan sulfate proteoglycan Dally-like (Dlp) promotes Wg travel, whereas matrix Mmp2 (Metalloproteinase 2) impedes it by inactivating Dlp. ..
- ..New findings by Jourjine and colleagues identify four neurons in the Drosophila brain that receive both water and sugar abundance signals and oppositely regulate hunger and thirst. ..
- DoupÃ© D, Perrimon N. Toward a Systems Understanding of Signaling Pathway Function. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2016;117:221-36 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss pathways as complex networks and examples of how signaling outcomes can be influenced by the temporal nature of the signal, its spatial regulation, and the cell context. ..
- Hu Y, Flockhart I, Vinayagam A, Bergwitz C, Berger B, Perrimon N, et al. An integrative approach to ortholog prediction for disease-focused and other functional studies. BMC Bioinformatics. 2011;12:357 pubmed publisher..org/diopt-dist). DIOPT and DIOPT-DIST are useful resources for researchers working with model organisms, especially those who are interested in exploiting model organisms such as Drosophila to study the functions of human disease genes. ..
- Yin Z, Zhou X, Bakal C, Li F, Sun Y, Perrimon N, et al. Using iterative cluster merging with improved gap statistics to perform online phenotype discovery in the context of high-throughput RNAi screens. BMC Bioinformatics. 2008;9:264 pubmed publisher..In our findings, the proposed method is suitable for online phenotype discovery in diverse high-throughput image-based genetic and chemical screens. ..
- Kim K, Hung R, Perrimon N. miR-263a Regulates ENaC to Maintain Osmotic and Intestinal Stem Cell Homeostasis in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2017;40:23-36 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence that overexpression of miR-183, the human ortholog of miR-263a, can also directly target the expressions of all three subunits of human ENaC. ..
- Song W, Cheng D, Hong S, Sappe B, Hu Y, Wei N, et al. Midgut-Derived Activin Regulates Glucagon-like Action in the Fat Body and Glycemic Control. Cell Metab. 2017;25:386-399 pubmed publisher..Importantly, activin signaling in mouse primary hepatocytes also increases glucagon response and glucagon-induced glucose production, indicating a conserved role for activin in enhancing AKH/glucagon signaling and glycemic control. ..
- Kwon Y, Song W, Droujinine I, Hu Y, Asara J, Perrimon N. Systemic organ wasting induced by localized expression of the secreted insulin/IGF antagonist ImpL2. Dev Cell. 2015;33:36-46 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our study provides insights into the mechanisms underlying organ-wasting phenotypes in Drosophila and how overproliferating tissues adapt to global changes in metabolism. ..
- Housden B, Perrimon N. Spatial and temporal organization of signaling pathways. Trends Biochem Sci. 2014;39:457-64 pubmed publisher..We consider the role of spatial and temporal aspects of different transduction pathways and then discuss how recently developed tools and approaches are helping to dissect the complex mechanisms linking pathway stimulation to output. ..
- Kim K, Vinayagam A, Perrimon N. A rapid genome-wide microRNA screen identifies miR-14 as a modulator of Hedgehog signaling. Cell Rep. 2014;7:2066-77 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our systematic screening platform is a powerful approach to identifying both physiological and apparent nonphysiological targets of miRNAs, which are relevant in both normal and diseased tissues. ..
- Yan D, Neumüller R, BUCKNER M, Ayers K, Li H, Hu Y, et al. A regulatory network of Drosophila germline stem cell self-renewal. Dev Cell. 2014;28:459-73 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our study provides a resource that will help to further dissect the networks underlying stem cell self-renewal. ..
- Vinayagam A, Kulkarni M, Sopko R, Sun X, Hu Y, Nand A, et al. An Integrative Analysis of the InR/PI3K/Akt Network Identifies the Dynamic Response to Insulin Signaling. Cell Rep. 2016;16:3062-3074 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our study represents a comprehensive resource for the study of the evolutionary conserved insulin network. ..
- Perrimon N, Mathey Prevot B. Applications of high-throughput RNA interference screens to problems in cell and developmental biology. Genetics. 2007;175:7-16 pubmed..Finally, we discuss emerging technological advances that will extend RNAi-based screening methods. ..
- Yan D, Perrimon N. spenito is required for sex determination in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:11606-11 pubmed publisher..Given that SPEN family proteins are frequently mutated in cancers, our results suggest that these factors might be implicated in tumorigenesis through splicing regulation. ..
- Perkins L, Holderbaum L, Tao R, Hu Y, Sopko R, McCall K, et al. The Transgenic RNAi Project at Harvard Medical School: Resources and Validation. Genetics. 2015;201:843-52 pubmed publisher..flyrnai.org/RSVP.html), and stocks are available from three stock centers, the Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center (United States), National Institute of Genetics (Japan), and TsingHua Fly Center (China). ..
- Song W, Owusu Ansah E, Hu Y, Cheng D, Ni X, ZIRIN J, et al. Activin signaling mediates muscle-to-adipose communication in a mitochondria dysfunction-associated obesity model. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Thus, perturbation of muscle mitochondrial activity regulates mitochondrial function in the fat body nonautonomously via modulation of Activin signaling. ..
- Ewen Campen B, Mohr S, Hu Y, Perrimon N. Accessing the Phenotype Gap: Enabling Systematic Investigation of Paralog Functional Complexity with CRISPR. Dev Cell. 2017;43:6-9 pubmed publisher..We discuss the complexity associated with studying paralogs and outline how recent advances in CRISPR will help address the "phenotype gap" and impact biomedical research. ..
- Sopko R, Foos M, Vinayagam A, Zhai B, Binari R, Hu Y, et al. Combining genetic perturbations and proteomics to examine kinase-phosphatase networks in Drosophila embryos. Dev Cell. 2014;31:114-27 pubmed publisher..Further, we show how correlative phosphorylation at the site level can indicate function, as exemplified by Sterile20-like kinase-dependent regulation of Stat92E. ..