Affiliation: Harvard University
- Sensitive periods of amygdala development: The role of maltreatment in preadolescencePia Pechtel
Center for Depression, Anxiety and Stress Research, McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478 9106, USA Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, USA Electronic address
Neuroimage 97:236-44. 2014..Severity of adversity experienced at age 10-11 contributed to larger right but not left amygdala volume in adulthood. Results provide preliminary evidence that the amygdala may have a developmental sensitive period in preadolescence. ..
- Blunted reward responsiveness in remitted depressionPia Pechtel
McLean Hospital and Harvard Medical School, USA Electronic address
J Psychiatr Res 47:1864-9. 2013..More research is warranted to investigate if blunted reward responsiveness may predict future depressive episodes and whether targeting reward-related deficits may prevent the re-occurrence of the disorder. ..
- Disrupted reinforcement learning and maladaptive behavior in women with a history of childhood sexual abuse: a high-density event-related potential studyPia Pechtel
Center for Depression, Anxiety and Stress Research, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
JAMA Psychiatry 70:499-507. 2013..Despite the epidemiological data available, the mechanisms underlying these maladaptive outcomes remain poorly understood...
- Effects of early life stress on cognitive and affective function: an integrated review of human literaturePia Pechtel
Center for Depression, Anxiety, and Stress Research, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Room 233C, De Marneffe Building, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478 9106, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 214:55-70. 2011..Emerging findings from longitudinal studies examining developmental trajectories of the brain in healthy samples may provide a new framework to understand mechanisms underlying ELS sequelae...
- Conceptualization of the complex outcomes of sexual abuse: a signal detection analysisPia Pechtel
Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
J Child Sex Abus 20:677-94. 2011..Complex abuse cases may benefit from replacing maladaptive coping strategies (e.g., self-harm) with constructive coping (e.g., social support) in order to deliver efficacious practice...
- Perceived parental protection and cortisol responses among young females with borderline personality disorder and controlsKarlen Lyons-Ruth
Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School, MA 02139 1407, USA
Psychiatry Res 189:426-32. 2011..Results point to the perceived quality of parental protection as likely to modulate the activity of the stress response system among BPD patients...
- Peril and pleasure: an rdoc-inspired examination of threat responses and reward processing in anxiety and depressionDaniel G Dillon
Center for Depression, Anxiety and Stress Research, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
Depress Anxiety 31:233-49. 2014..In addition to its basic scientific value, a better understanding of interactions between the neural systems that mediate threat and reward responses may offer relief from the burdensome condition of anxious depression. ..