Alexander R Opotowsky
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Trends in hospitalizations for adults with congenital heart disease in the U.SAlexander R Opotowsky
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 54:460-7. 2009..The purpose of this study was to better define the epidemiology of hospitalizations for adults with congenital heart disease (ACHD) in the U.S...
- A shifting approach to management of the thoracic aorta in bicuspid aortic valveAlexander R Opotowsky
Department of Cardiology, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 146:339-46. 2013..We aimed to evaluate secular trends and predictors of thoracic aortic surgery among patients with BAV in the United States...
- Successful pregnancies in two women with hypoplastic left heart syndromeAlexander R Opotowsky
Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital Boston, 300 Longwood Avenue, Bader 209, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Congenit Heart Dis 5:476-81. 2010..e., Norwood procedure), HLHS was almost universally fatal within months of birth. Early survivors of the Norwood procedure are now reaching reproductive age. We report successful pregnancies in two such women...
- Maternal cardiovascular events during childbirth among women with congenital heart diseaseAlexander R Opotowsky
Boston Adult Congenital Heart Program, Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital Boston, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Heart 98:145-51. 2012..To define the epidemiology of adverse cardiovascular events among women with congenital heart disease (CHD) hospitalised for childbirth in the USA...
- A simple echocardiographic method to estimate pulmonary vascular resistanceAlexander R Opotowsky
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Cardiol 112:873-82. 2013....
- Clinical profile and underdiagnosis of pulmonary hypertension in US veteran patientsBradley A Maron
Department of Cardiology, Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System, Parkway, Boston, MA
Circ Heart Fail 6:906-12. 2013..Pulmonary hypertension (PH) is a key contributor to cardiovascular morbidity and early mortality; however, reports are lacking on the epidemiology of PH in at-risk patient populations...
- Correlation of exercise response in repaired coarctation of the aorta to left ventricular mass and geometryEric V Krieger
Department of Cardiology, Boston Children s Hospital, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Cardiol 111:406-11. 2013..001). In conclusion, HRE was associated with increased LVMVR, even after adjusting for multiple covariates...
- Aortic valve dysfunction and aortic dilation in adults with coarctation of the aortaMathieu Clair
Department of Cardiology, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Mass, USA
Congenit Heart Dis 9:235-43. 2014..To determine the prevalence of aortic valve dysfunction, aortic dilation, and aortic valve and ascending aortic intervention in adults with coarctation of the aorta (CoA)...
- Effectiveness of spironolactone plus ambrisentan for treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (from the [ARIES] study 1 and 2 trials)Bradley A Maron
Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System, Department of Cardiology, 1400 VFW, Parkway, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Cardiol 112:720-5. 2013..In conclusion, these pilot data suggest that coupling spironolactone and endothelin type-A receptor antagonism may be clinically beneficial in PAH. Prospective clinical trials are required to further characterize our findings...
- The exceptional and far-flung manifestations of heart failure in Eisenmenger syndromeAlexander R Opotowsky
Boston Adult Congenital Heart and Pulmonary Hypertension Service, Boston Children s Hospital and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Heart Fail Clin 10:91-104. 2014..The introduction of targeted pulmonary hypertension therapies aimed has subtly shifted clinical focus from preventing iatrogenic and other adverse events toward cautious therapeutic activism...
- Hospitalizations and mortality in the United States for adults with Down syndrome and congenital heart diseaseFernando Baraona
Department of Cardiology, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Cardiol 111:1046-51. 2013..In conclusion, DS/CHD hospitalizations represent a decreasing proportion of admissions for adults with CHD typical of DS; patients with DS/CHD are more likely to die during hospitalization but less likely to undergo a cardiac procedure...
- Physical activity is associated with improved aerobic exercise capacity over time in adults with congenital heart diseaseAna Ubeda Tikkanen
Department of Cardiology, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, United States Electronic address
Int J Cardiol 168:4685-91. 2013..We studied the influence of the frequency of at least moderately strenuous physical activity (PhysAct) on changes in exercise capacity of ACHD patients over time...
- Plasma aldosterone levels are elevated in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension in the absence of left ventricular heart failure: a pilot studyBradley A Maron
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Eur J Heart Fail 15:277-83. 2013..Thus, the central aim of the current study is to determine if hyperaldosteronism is an unrecognized component of the PAH clinical syndrome...
- A simple echocardiographic prediction rule for hemodynamics in pulmonary hypertensionAlexander R Opotowsky
Department of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 5:765-75. 2012..Differentiating patients with primarily elevated pulmonary vascular resistance (PVR) from those with PH predominantly because of elevated left-sided filling pressure is critical...
- Comparison of risk of hypertensive complications of pregnancy among women with versus without coarctation of the aortaEric V Krieger
Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Cardiol 107:1529-34. 2011....
- Improving heart disease knowledge and research participation in adults with congenital heart disease (the Health, Education and Access Research Trial: HEART-ACHD)Anne Marie Valente
Boston Adult Congenital Heart Program, Department of Cardiology, Boston Children s Hospital and Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA Electronic address
Int J Cardiol 168:3236-40. 2013....
- Abnormal spirometry after the Fontan procedure is common and associated with impaired aerobic capacityAlexander R Opotowsky
Department of Cardiology, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 307:H110-7. 2014..A large subset has a pathologically low breathing reserve, consistent with a pulmonary mechanical contribution to exercise limitation...
- Transcatheter Potts shunt creation in patients with severe pulmonary arterial hypertension: initial clinical experienceJesse J Esch
Department of Cardiology, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 32:381-7. 2013..Surgical shunt placement between the left PA and descending aorta (Potts shunt) appears promising for PAH palliation in children; however, surgical mortality is likely to be unacceptably high in adults with PAH...
- Percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale and atrial septal defect in adults: the impact of clinical variables and hospital procedure volume on in-hospital adverse eventsAlexander R Opotowsky
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Am Heart J 157:867-74. 2009..There are no population-based estimates of in-hospital adverse event rates of percutaneous PFO/ASD closure...
- Shape of the right ventricular Doppler envelope predicts hemodynamics and right heart function in pulmonary hypertensionJeffrey S Arkles
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Division, Heart Failure and Pulmonary Hypertension Program, Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:268-76. 2011..Systolic deceleration or "notching" of the right ventricular outflow tract Doppler flow velocity envelope (FVE(RVOT)) relates to pathologic wave reflection in the setting of elevated pulmonary artery impedance...
- The CALF (Congenital Heart Disease in Adults Lower Extremity Systemic Venous Health in Fontan Patients) studyAnne Marie Valente
Boston Adult Congenital Heart Program, Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 56:144-50. 2010..The objective of this study was to document the prevalence of chronic venous insufficiency (CVI) and its associated factors in adults with Fontan physiology...