Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Ogino S, Kirkner G, Nosho K, Irahara N, Kure S, Shima K, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 expression is an independent predictor of poor prognosis in colon cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:8221-7 pubmed publisher..A similar trend was observed when overall mortality was used as an outcome. COX-2 overexpression is associated with worse survival among colon cancer patients. The effect of COX-2 on clinical outcome may be modified by p53 status. ..
- Ogino S, Hazra A, Tranah G, Kirkner G, Kawasaki T, Nosho K, et al. MGMT germline polymorphism is associated with somatic MGMT promoter methylation and gene silencing in colorectal cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2007;28:1985-90 pubmed..56C>T) of the MGMT promoter and promoter methylation/silencing of MGMT in colorectal cancer. Our data provide compelling evidence for common susceptibility for MGMT promoter CpG island methylation. ..
- Hamada T, Liu L, Nowak J, Mima K, Cao Y, Ng K, et al. Vitamin D status after colorectal cancer diagnosis and patient survival according to immune response to tumour. Eur J Cancer. 2018;103:98-107 pubmed publisher..Our results suggesting interactive effects of vitamin D and immune response may contribute to personalised dietary and lifestyle intervention strategies. ..
- Ogino S, Kawasaki T, Kirkner G, Suemoto Y, Meyerhardt J, Fuchs C. Molecular correlates with MGMT promoter methylation and silencing support CpG island methylator phenotype-low (CIMP-low) in colorectal cancer. Gut. 2007;56:1564-71 pubmed..Our data support a molecular difference between MSI-low and MSS in colorectal cancer, and a possible link between CIMP-low, MSI-low, MGMT methylation/loss and KRAS mutation. ..
- Nishihara R, VanderWeele T, Shibuya K, Mittleman M, Wang M, Field A, et al. Molecular pathological epidemiology gives clues to paradoxical findings. Eur J Epidemiol. 2015;30:1129-35 pubmed publisher..The MPE paradigm including consideration of disease heterogeneity plays an essential role in advancements of precision medicine and public health. ..
- Liu L, Tabung F, Zhang X, Nowak J, Qian Z, Hamada T, et al. Diets That Promote Colon Inflammation Associate With Risk of Colorectal Carcinomas That Contain Fusobacterium nucleatum. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018;16:1622-1631.e3 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that diet-induced intestinal inflammation alters the gut microbiome to contribute to colorectal carcinogenesis; nutritional interventions might be used in precision medicine and cancer prevention. ..
- Ogino S, Meyerhardt J, Irahara N, Niedzwiecki D, Hollis D, Saltz L, et al. KRAS mutation in stage III colon cancer and clinical outcome following intergroup trial CALGB 89803. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:7322-9 pubmed publisher..In this large trial of chemotherapy in stage III colon cancer patients, KRAS mutational status was not associated with any significant influence on disease-free or overall survival. ..
- Ogino S, Campbell P, Nishihara R, Phipps A, Beck A, Sherman M, et al. Proceedings of the second international molecular pathological epidemiology (MPE) meeting. Cancer Causes Control. 2015;26:959-72 pubmed publisher..The MPE meeting series can help advance transdisciplinary population science and optimize training and education systems for twenty-first century medicine and public health. ..
- Liu L, Nevo D, Nishihara R, Cao Y, Song M, Twombly T, et al. Utility of inverse probability weighting in molecular pathological epidemiology. Eur J Epidemiol. 2018;33:381-392 pubmed publisher..The integration of causal inference methods into the MPE approach will likely have substantial potentials to advance the field of epidemiology. ..
- Mima K, Nishihara R, Yang J, Dou R, Masugi Y, Shi Y, et al. MicroRNA MIR21 (miR-21) and PTGS2 Expression in Colorectal Cancer and Patient Survival. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:3841-8 pubmed publisher..Clin Cancer Res; 22(15); 3841-8. ©2016 AACR. ..
- Imamura Y, Lochhead P, Yamauchi M, Kuchiba A, Qian Z, Liao X, et al. Analyses of clinicopathological, molecular, and prognostic associations of KRAS codon 61 and codon 146 mutations in colorectal cancer: cohort study and literature review. Mol Cancer. 2014;13:135 pubmed publisher..To further assess clinical utility of KRAS codon 61 and 146 testing, large-scale trials are warranted. ..
- Ogino S, Nosho K, Irahara N, Kure S, Shima K, Baba Y, et al. A cohort study of cyclin D1 expression and prognosis in 602 colon cancer cases. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:4431-8 pubmed publisher..10-0.65). Cyclin D1 overexpression is associated with longer survival in colon cancer. ..
- Ogino S, Nosho K, Kirkner G, Kawasaki T, Chan A, Schernhammer E, et al. A cohort study of tumoral LINE-1 hypomethylation and prognosis in colon cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008;100:1734-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, tumoral LINE-1 hypomethylation is independently associated with shorter survival among colon cancer patients. ..
- Ogino S, Shima K, Baba Y, Nosho K, Irahara N, Kure S, et al. Colorectal cancer expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPARG, PPARgamma) is associated with good prognosis. Gastroenterology. 2009;136:1242-50 pubmed publisher..05). Tumor expression of PPARG is independently associated with longer survival of patients. PPARG expression appears to mark an indolent subset of colorectal cancers. ..
- Campbell P, Rebbeck T, Nishihara R, Beck A, Begg C, Bogdanov A, et al. Proceedings of the third international molecular pathological epidemiology (MPE) meeting. Cancer Causes Control. 2017;28:167-176 pubmed publisher..Special topics included integration of MPE with immunology and health disparity research. This meeting series will continue to provide an impetus to foster further transdisciplinary integration of divergent scientific fields. ..
- Cao Y, Nishihara R, Qian Z, Song M, Mima K, Inamura K, et al. Regular Aspirin Use Associates With Lower Risk of ColorectalÂ Cancers With Low Numbers of Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes. Gastroenterology. 2016;151:879-892.e4 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the immune response in theÂ tumor microenvironment could be involved in the chemopreventive effects of aspirin. ..
- Shima K, Nosho K, Baba Y, Cantor M, Meyerhardt J, Giovannucci E, et al. Prognostic significance of CDKN2A (p16) promoter methylation and loss of expression in 902 colorectal cancers: Cohort study and literature review. Int J Cancer. 2011;128:1080-94 pubmed publisher..Despite its well-established role in carcinogenesis, CDKN2A (p16) promoter methylation or loss of expression in colorectal cancer is not independently associated with patient prognosis. ..
- Ogino S, Kawasaki T, Kirkner G, Ohnishi M, Fuchs C. 18q loss of heterozygosity in microsatellite stable colorectal cancer is correlated with CpG island methylator phenotype-negative (CIMP-0) and inversely with CIMP-low and CIMP-high. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:72 pubmed..Our findings provide supporting evidence for relationship between CIMP-0 and 18q LOH as well as a molecular difference between CIMP-0 and CIMP-low in colorectal cancer. ..
- Ogino S, Nosho K, Kirkner G, Kawasaki T, Meyerhardt J, Loda M, et al. CpG island methylator phenotype, microsatellite instability, BRAF mutation and clinical outcome in colon cancer. Gut. 2009;58:90-6 pubmed publisher..KRAS mutation was unrelated to prognostic significance. CIMP-high appears to be an independent predictor of a low colon cancer-specific mortality, while BRAF mutation is associated with a high colon cancer-specific mortality. ..
- Hamada T, Keum N, Nishihara R, Ogino S. Molecular pathological epidemiology: new developing frontiers of big data science to study etiologies and pathogenesis. J Gastroenterol. 2017;52:265-275 pubmed publisher..In this article, we present recent progress of MPE, and discuss the importance of accounting for the disease heterogeneity in the era of big-data health science and precision medicine. ..
- Ogino S, Nosho K, Kirkner G, Shima K, Irahara N, Kure S, et al. PIK3CA mutation is associated with poor prognosis among patients with curatively resected colon cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:1477-84 pubmed publisher..The adverse effect of PIK3CA mutation may be potentially limited to patients with KRAS wild-type tumors. ..
- Hanyuda A, Kim S, Martínez Fernandez A, Qian Z, Yamauchi M, Nishihara R, et al. Survival Benefit of Exercise Differs by Tumor IRS1 Expression Status in Colorectal Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:908-17 pubmed publisher..If validated, tumor IRS1 expression status may serve as a predictive marker to identify subgroups of patients who might gain greater survival benefit from an increased level of exercise. ..
- Ogino S, Nosho K, Irahara N, Meyerhardt J, Baba Y, Shima K, et al. Lymphocytic reaction to colorectal cancer is associated with longer survival, independent of lymph node count, microsatellite instability, and CpG island methylator phenotype. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:6412-20 pubmed publisher..Lymphocytic reactions to tumor were associated with improved prognosis among colorectal cancer patients, independent of lymph node count and other clinical, pathologic, and molecular characteristics. ..
- Ogino S, Nosho K, Irahara N, Shima K, Baba Y, Kirkner G, et al. Prognostic significance and molecular associations of 18q loss of heterozygosity: a cohort study of microsatellite stable colorectal cancers. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:4591-8 pubmed publisher..54). Multivariate analysis did not show prognostic significance of 18q LOH. In our large prospective study of patients with non-MSI-high colorectal cancer, 18q LOH or allelic imbalance was not associated with patient survival. ..
- Mehta R, Song M, Nishihara R, Drew D, Wu K, Qian Z, et al. Dietary Patterns and Risk of Colorectal Cancer: Analysis by Tumor Location and Molecular Subtypes. Gastroenterology. 2017;152:1944-1953.e1 pubmed publisher..In contrast, prudent dietary patterns are associated with a lower risk of CRC that does not vary according to anatomic subsite or molecular subtype. ..
- Liu L, Nishihara R, Qian Z, Tabung F, Nevo D, Zhang X, et al. Association Between Inflammatory Diet Pattern and Risk of Colorectal Carcinoma Subtypes Classified by Immune Responses to Tumor. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:1517-1530.e14 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that diet-related inflammation might contribute to development of colorectal cancer, by suppressing the adaptive anti-tumor immune response. ..
- Ogino S, Brahmandam M, Cantor M, Namgyal C, Kawasaki T, Kirkner G, et al. Distinct molecular features of colorectal carcinoma with signet ring cell component and colorectal carcinoma with mucinous component. Mod Pathol. 2006;19:59-68 pubmed..Signet ring cell carcinoma and mucinous carcinoma are related subtypes of colorectal adenocarcinoma, but have molecular features distinct from each other...
- Ogino S, Kawasaki T, Ogawa A, Kirkner G, Loda M, Fuchs C. TGFBR2 mutation is correlated with CpG island methylator phenotype in microsatellite instability-high colorectal cancer. Hum Pathol. 2007;38:614-20 pubmed
- Giannakis M, Mu X, Shukla S, Qian Z, Cohen O, Nishihara R, et al. Genomic Correlates of Immune-Cell Infiltrates in Colorectal Carcinoma. Cell Rep. 2016;15:857-865 pubmed publisher..These results may inform immunotherapeutic approaches in CRC. More generally, this study demonstrates a framework for future integrative molecular epidemiology research in colorectal and other malignancies. ..
- Hanyuda A, Cao Y, Hamada T, Nowak J, Qian Z, Masugi Y, et al. Body mass index and risk of colorectal carcinoma subtypes classified by tumor differentiation status. Eur J Epidemiol. 2017;32:393-407 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that carcinogenic influence of excess energy balance might be stronger for tumors that retain better intestinal differentiation throughout the tumor areas. ..
- Nishihara R, Glass K, Mima K, Hamada T, Nowak J, Qian Z, et al. Biomarker correlation network in colorectal carcinoma by tumor anatomic location. BMC Bioinformatics. 2017;18:304 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the importance of considering multiple correlated pathways for therapeutic targets especially in proximal colon cancer. ..
- Ogino S, Nosho K, Meyerhardt J, Kirkner G, Chan A, Kawasaki T, et al. Cohort study of fatty acid synthase expression and patient survival in colon cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:5713-20 pubmed publisher..5 kg/m(2)), FASN overexpression may predict a worse outcome. ..
- Ogino S, Kawasaki T, Kirkner G, Kraft P, Loda M, Fuchs C. Evaluation of markers for CpG island methylator phenotype (CIMP) in colorectal cancer by a large population-based sample. J Mol Diagn. 2007;9:305-14 pubmed..In conclusion, a panel of markers including at least RUNX3, CACNA1G, IGF2, and MLH1 can serve as a sensitive and specific marker panel for CIMP-high. ..
- Ogino S, Shima K, Meyerhardt J, McCleary N, Ng K, Hollis D, et al. Predictive and prognostic roles of BRAF mutation in stage III colon cancer: results from intergroup trial CALGB 89803. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:890-900 pubmed publisher..We examined the effect of BRAF mutation on survival and treatment efficacy in patients with stage III colon cancer...
- Ogino S, Kawasaki T, Ogawa A, Kirkner G, Loda M, Fuchs C. Cytoplasmic localization of p27 (cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor 1B/KIP1) in colorectal cancer: inverse correlations with nuclear p27 loss, microsatellite instability, and CpG island methylator phenotype. Hum Pathol. 2007;38:585-92 pubmed