Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Ye Y, Calcagno C, Binderup T, Courties G, Keliher E, Wojtkiewicz G, et al. Imaging Macrophage and Hematopoietic Progenitor Proliferation in Atherosclerosis. Circ Res. 2015;117:835-45 pubmed publisher..18)F-FLT positron emission tomography imaging may serve as an imaging biomarker for cell proliferation in plaque and hematopoietic activity in individuals with atherosclerosis. ..
- Nahrendorf M, Sosnovik D, Chen J, Panizzi P, Figueiredo J, Aikawa E, et al. Activatable magnetic resonance imaging agent reports myeloperoxidase activity in healing infarcts and noninvasively detects the antiinflammatory effects of atorvastatin on ischemia-reperfusion injury. Circulation. 2008;117:1153-60 pubmed publisher..This approach allows noninvasive evaluation of the inflammatory response to ischemia and has the potential to guide the development of novel cardioprotective therapies. ..
- Nahrendorf M, Sosnovik D, Weissleder R. MR-optical imaging of cardiovascular molecular targets. Basic Res Cardiol. 2008;103:87-94 pubmed publisher..We discuss strengths and limitations of respective imaging technologies, and comment on the potential of multi-modality imaging approaches. ..
- Davis R, Brannen A, Hossain M, MONSMA S, Bock P, Nahrendorf M, et al. Complete genome of Staphylococcus aureus Tager 104 provides evidence of its relation to modern systemic hospital-acquired strains. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:179 pubmed publisher..Tager 104 represents an early-branching ancestor of certain hospital-acquired strains. Combined with its earlier isolation date and limited content of MGE, Tager 104 can serve as a viable reference for future comparative genome studies. ..
- Dutta P, Hoyer F, Sun Y, Iwamoto Y, Tricot B, Weissleder R, et al. E-Selectin Inhibition Mitigates Splenic HSC Activation and Myelopoiesis in Hypercholesterolemic Mice With Myocardial Infarction. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2016;36:1802-8 pubmed publisher..Inhibiting E-selectin attenuated inflammation in atherosclerotic plaques, likely by reducing leukocyte recruitment into plaques and by mitigating hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell activation in the spleen of mice with MI. ..
- Hulsmans M, Sager H, Roh J, Valero Muñoz M, Houstis N, Iwamoto Y, et al. Cardiac macrophages promote diastolic dysfunction. J Exp Med. 2018;215:423-440 pubmed publisher..Deletion of IL-10 in macrophages improves diastolic function. These data imply expansion and phenotypic changes of cardiac macrophages as therapeutic targets for cardiac fibrosis leading to diastolic dysfunction. ..
- Hulsmans M, Sam F, Nahrendorf M. Monocyte and macrophage contributions to cardiac remodeling. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2016;93:149-55 pubmed publisher..Finally, we highlight their potential role as therapeutic targets. ..
- Honold L, Nahrendorf M. Resident and Monocyte-Derived Macrophages in Cardiovascular Disease. Circ Res. 2018;122:113-127 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the ontogeny, function, and interplay of tissue-resident and monocyte-derived macrophages in various organs contributing to the development and progression of cardiovascular disease. ..
- Dutta P, Sager H, Stengel K, Naxerova K, Courties G, Saez B, et al. Myocardial Infarction Activates CCR2(+) Hematopoietic Stem and Progenitor Cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2015;16:477-87 pubmed publisher..Together, these data provide insights into regulation of emergency hematopoiesis after ischemic injury and identify potential therapeutic targets to modulate leukocyte output after MI. ..
- Sager H, Heidt T, Hulsmans M, Dutta P, Courties G, Sebas M, et al. Targeting Interleukin-1Î² Reduces Leukocyte Production After Acute Myocardial Infarction. Circulation. 2015;132:1880-90 pubmed publisher..The presented insight into post-MI bone marrow activation identifies a mechanistic target for muting inflammation in the ischemically damaged heart. ..
- Heidt T, Courties G, Dutta P, Sager H, Sebas M, Iwamoto Y, et al. Differential contribution of monocytes to heart macrophages in steady-state and after myocardial infarction. Circ Res. 2014;115:284-95 pubmed publisher..These data correspond with previous studies on tissue-resident macrophages and raise important questions on the fate and function of macrophages during the development of heart failure. ..
- Nahrendorf M, Swirski F. Monocyte and macrophage heterogeneity in the heart. Circ Res. 2013;112:1624-33 pubmed publisher..This review discusses current concepts of lineage relationships and crosstalk of systems, highlights open questions, and describes tools for studying monocyte and macrophage subsets in the murine and human heart...
- Majmudar M, Keliher E, Heidt T, Leuschner F, Truelove J, Sena B, et al. Monocyte-directed RNAi targeting CCR2 improves infarct healing in atherosclerosis-prone mice. Circulation. 2013;127:2038-46 pubmed publisher..05). CCR2-targeted RNAi reduced recruitment of Ly-6C(high) monocytes, attenuated infarct inflammation, and curbed post-MI left ventricular remodeling. ..
- Courties G, Heidt T, Sebas M, Iwamoto Y, Jeon D, Truelove J, et al. In vivo silencing of the transcription factor IRF5 reprograms the macrophage phenotype and improves infarct healing. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:1556-66 pubmed publisher..05). This work identified a new therapeutic avenue to augment resolution of inflammation in healing infarcts by macrophage phenotype manipulation. This therapeutic concept may be used to attenuate post-MI remodeling and heart failure. ..
- Vandoorne K, Nahrendorf M. Multiparametric Imaging of Organ System Interfaces. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..As the opportunities provided by imaging expand, mapping interconnected systems will help us decipher the complexity of cardiovascular disease and monitor novel therapeutic strategies. ..
- Hulsmans M, Clauss S, Xiao L, Aguirre A, King K, Hanley A, et al. Macrophages Facilitate Electrical Conduction in the Heart. Cell. 2017;169:510-522.e20 pubmed publisher..In the Cd11bDTR mouse, macrophage ablation induces progressive atrioventricular block. These observations implicate macrophages in normal and aberrant cardiac conduction. ..