Shawn N Murphy
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Strategies for maintaining patient privacy in i2b2Shawn N Murphy
Laboratory of Computer Science, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 18:i103-8. 2011..Some of these challenges arise from a misperception that the problem should be solved technically when actually the problem needs a holistic solution...
- Serving the enterprise and beyond with informatics for integrating biology and the bedside (i2b2)Shawn N Murphy
Laboratory of Computer Science, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 17:124-30. 2010..The current version of this software has been released into the public domain and is available at the URL: http://www.i2b2.org/software...
- Improving case definition of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis in electronic medical records using natural language processing: a novel informatics approachAshwin N Ananthakrishnan
Gastrointestinal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 19:1411-20. 2013....
- Normalization of plasma 25-hydroxy vitamin D is associated with reduced risk of surgery in Crohn's diseaseAshwin N Ananthakrishnan
Division of Gastroenterology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 19:1921-7. 2013..Vitamin D may have an immunologic role in Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). Retrospective studies suggested a weak association between vitamin D status and disease activity but have significant limitations...
- Lipid and lipoprotein levels and trend in rheumatoid arthritis compared to the general populationKatherine P Liao
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 65:2046-50. 2013..Determining these differences is important in understanding the role of lipids in CV risk in RA...
- Apps to display patient data, making SMART available in the i2b2 platformNich Wattanasin
Partners HealthCare System, Boston, MA, USA
AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2012:960-9. 2012..In i2b2, viewing the patient in an EMR-like view enables a natural-feeling medical review process for each patient...
- QT interval and antidepressant use: a cross sectional study of electronic health recordsVictor M Castro
Partners Research Computing, Partners HealthCare System, One Constitution Center, Boston, MA 02129, USA
BMJ 346:f288. 2013..To quantify the impact of citalopram and other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors on corrected QT interval (QTc), a marker of risk for ventricular arrhythmia, in a large and diverse clinical population...
- SHRINE: enabling nationally scalable multi-site disease studiesAndrew J McMurry
Center for Biomedical Informatics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e55811. 2013..The wide range of study objectives and growing adoption suggest that SHRINE may be applicable beyond the research uses and participating hospitals named in this report...
- Feasibility of studying brain morphology in major depressive disorder with structural magnetic resonance imaging and clinical data from the electronic medical record: a pilot studyWouter S Hoogenboom
Depression Clinical and Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, United States
Psychiatry Res 211:202-13. 2013..The use of EMR data for psychiatric research may provide a timely and cost-effective approach with the potential to generate large study samples reflective of the real population with the illness studied...
- The SMART Platform: early experience enabling substitutable applications for electronic health recordsKenneth D Mandl
Children s Hospital Informatics Program at Harvard MIT Health Sciences and Technology, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 19:597-603. 2012..The authors believe this is a promising approach to driving down healthcare costs, supporting standards evolution, accommodating differences in care workflow, fostering competition in the market, and accelerating innovation...
- Extracting principal diagnosis, co-morbidity and smoking status for asthma research: evaluation of a natural language processing systemQing T Zeng
Decision Systems Group, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 6:30. 2006..The text descriptions in electronic medical records are a rich source of information. We have developed a Health Information Text Extraction (HITEx) tool and used it to extract key findings for a research study on airways disease...
- Current state of information technologies for the clinical research enterprise across academic medical centersShawn N Murphy
Partners HealthCare System, Inc, Research Computing, Charlestown, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Transl Sci 5:281-4. 2012..These differences appeared to be partially due to a set of openly available applications that have emerged to occupy an important place in the landscape of clinical research enterprise-level support at AMC's...
- Modeling disease severity in multiple sclerosis using electronic health recordsZongqi Xia
Department of Neurology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America Program in Medical and Population Genetics, Broad Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e78927. 2013....
- Antidepressant response in patients with major depression exposed to NSAIDs: a pharmacovigilance studyPatience J Gallagher
Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
Am J Psychiatry 169:1065-72. 2012..CONCLUSIONS These results support an association between NSAID use and poorer antidepressant outcomes in major depressive disorder but indicate that some of the observed effect may be a result of confounding...
- A translational engine at the national scale: informatics for integrating biology and the bedsideIsaac S Kohane
Harvard Medical School Center for Biomedical Informatics, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 19:181-5. 2012..i2b2 has been adopted by over 60 academic health centers internationally...
- The Shared Health Research Information Network (SHRINE): a prototype federated query tool for clinical data repositoriesGriffin M Weber
Information Technology, Harvard Medical School, 107 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 16:624-30. 2009..This will guide us in creating a future technical architecture that is scalable to a national level, compliant with ethical guidelines, and protective of the interests of the participating hospitals...
- Computing health quality measures using Informatics for Integrating Biology and the BedsideJeffrey G Klann
Laboratory of Computer Science, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02129, United States
J Med Internet Res 15:e75. 2013..Informatics for Integrating Biology and the Bedside (i2b2) is one of the analytical databases used as part of the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC)'s Query Health platform to move toward this goal...
- Similar risk of depression and anxiety following surgery or hospitalization for Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitisAshwin N Ananthakrishnan
Crohn s and Colitis Center, Division of Gastroenterology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 108:594-601. 2013..The objective of this study is to examine whether there is a difference in the risk of psychiatric comorbidity following surgery in CD and UC...
- Genetic basis of autoantibody positive and negative rheumatoid arthritis risk in a multi-ethnic cohort derived from electronic health recordsFina Kurreeman
Division of Rheumatology, Immunology, and Allergy and Division of Genetics, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA Program in Medical and Population Genetics, Broad Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Am J Hum Genet 88:57-69. 2011....
- Rapid identification of myocardial infarction risk associated with diabetes medications using electronic medical recordsJohn S Brownstein
Children s Hospital Informatics Program at the Harvard MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes Care 33:526-31. 2010..Our use of usual care electronic data sources from a large hospital network represents an innovative approach to rapid safety signal detection that may enable more effective postmarketing drug surveillance...