Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Gap junction-mediated transfer of left-right patterning signals in the early chick blastoderm is upstream of Shh asymmetry in the nodeM Levin
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 126:4703-14. 1999..We propose that left-right information is transferred unidirectionally throughout the epiblast by gap junction channels in order to pattern left-sided Shh expression at Hensen's node...
- Left-right asymmetry determination in vertebratesM Mercola
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17:779-805. 2001..Here we examine the molecular biology of the three principal steps in left-right determination: breaking bilateral symmetry, propagation and reinforcement of pattern, and the translation of pattern into asymmetric organ morphogenesis...
- TGF-beta superfamily signaling and left-right asymmetryM Whitman
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Sci STKE 2001:re1. 2001..Also discussed is the problem of how signal transduction mediated by the Smad proteins can pattern LR asymmetry without interfering with coincident dorsoventral patterning, which relies on the same Smad proteins...
- Evolutionary conservation of mechanisms upstream of asymmetric Nodal expression: reconciling chick and XenopusM Levin
Cell Biology Dept, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Genet 23:185-93. 1998..Thus our results are consistent with Shh being necessary for nodal induction in both species, and we provide an explanation for both sets of data in terms of a single conserved mechanism upstream of nodal expression...
- Zebrafish narrowminded suggests a genetic link between formation of neural crest and primary sensory neuronsK B Artinger
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Development 126:3969-79. 1999..We discuss the implications of these findings for the possibility that RB sensory neurons and neural crest cells share a common evolutionary origin...
- Spina bifida occulta in homozygous Patch mouse embryosJ Payne
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Dev Dyn 209:105-16. 1997..Furthermore, since the neural tube appears to close normally, we suggest that spina bifida in the Ph homozygote is caused primarily by a somitic mesoderm abnormality rather than a neural tube defect...
- Isolation and characterization of Xenopus Hey-1: a downstream mediator of Notch signalingM S Rones
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Dev Dyn 225:554-60. 2002....
- Expression of mouse PDGF-A and PDGF alpha-receptor genes during pre- and post-implantation development: evidence for a developmental shift from an autocrine to a paracrine mode of actionS L Palmieri
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Mech Dev 39:181-91. 1992..We propose that chronic autostimulation of PDGF alpha-receptors occurs in pre-implantation embryos, whereas, following implantation, early mesoderm development is dependent on stimulation by ectodermally produced PDGF-A...