Affiliation: Harvard University
- Adipose tissue invariant NKT cells protect against diet-induced obesity and metabolic disorder through regulatory cytokine productionLydia Lynch
Hematology Oncology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Immunity 37:574-87. 2012..This finding highlights the potential of iNKT cell-targeted therapies, previously proven to be safe in humans, in the management of obesity and its consequences...
- Invariant NKT cells and CD1d(+) cells amass in human omentum and are depleted in patients with cancer and obesityLydia Lynch
Education and Research Centre, St Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Eur J Immunol 39:1893-901. 2009..004) compared with lean healthy subjects. These data suggest a novel role for the omentum in immune regulation and tumor immunity and identify it as a potential source of iNKT cells for therapeutic use...
- Cigarette smoke alters the invariant natural killer T cell function and may inhibit anti-tumor responsesAndrew E Hogan
Obesity Immunology Group, Education and Research Centre, St Vincents University Hospital, UCD, Dublin 4, Ireland
Clin Immunol 140:229-35. 2011..CSE inhibits the upregulation of CD107 but not CD69 or CD56 on iNKT cells. These findings suggest that CSE has a specific effect on iNKT cell anti-tumor responses, which may contribute to the role of smoking in the development of cancer...
- Developing understanding of the roles of CD1d-restricted T cell subsets in cancer: reversing tumor-induced defectsMark A Exley
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Immunol 140:184-95. 2011....
- Natural killer cells in obesity: impaired function and increased susceptibility to the effects of cigarette smokeDonal O'Shea
Department of Endocrinology, St Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
PLoS ONE 5:e8660. 2010..Natural killer cells (NK) are critical mediators of anti-tumour immunity and are compromised in obese patients and smokers. We examined whether NK cell function was differentially affected by cigarette smoke in obese and lean subjects...
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 analogue therapy directly modulates innate immune-mediated inflammation in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitusAndrew E Hogan
Obesity Immunology, Education and Research Centre, St Vincent s University Hospital, University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Diabetologia 57:781-4. 2014..We hypothesised that GLP-1 analogue therapy in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus would affect the inflammatory macrophage molecule soluble CD163 (sCD163) and adipocytokine profile...
- The A2aR adenosine receptor controls cytokine production in iNKT cellsMichael Nowak
Department of Medicine, Divison of Hematology Oncology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Eur J Immunol 40:682-7. 2010..While A2aR inhibits other lymphocyte populations, A2aR is required for the secretion of IL-4 and IL-10 by iNKT cells. These data suggest adenosine:A2aR-mediated mechanisms can control the cytokine secretion pattern of iNKT cells...
- The relationship of omental and subcutaneous adipocyte size to metabolic disease in severe obesityJean O'Connell
Obesity Research Group, Education and Research Centre, St Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
PLoS ONE 5:e9997. 2010..It remains unclear what factors are responsible for this phenomenon. We proposed that adipocyte size might be a key factor in the protection of metabolically healthy obese (MHO) individuals from the adverse effects of obesity...
- Commitment of decidual haematopoietic progenitor cells in first trimester pregnancyLaszlo Szereday
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Pecs, Medical School, Hungary
Am J Reprod Immunol 67:9-16. 2012..Increased levels of NK progenitors in the decidua of women with early spontaneous abortion suggest a dysregulation of this pathway that may contribute to pregnancy failure...
- Changes in endometrial natural killer cell expression of CD94, CD158a and CD158b are associated with infertilityEmma McGrath
Education and Research Centre, St Vincent s University Hospital Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Am J Reprod Immunol 61:265-76. 2009..Cycle-dependent fluctuations in natural killer (NK) cell populations in endometrium and circulation may differ, contributing to unexplained infertility...
- Endogenous Oils Derived From Human Adipocytes Are Potent Adjuvants That Promote IL-1α-Dependent InflammationGraham A Tynan
Adjuvant Research Group, School of Biochemistry and Immunology, Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, IrelandImmunology Research Centre, Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Diabetes 63:2037-50. 2014..In summary, this study shows that adipocytes contain a potent oil adjuvant which drives IL-1α-dependent proinflammatory responses in vivo. ..
- Clinical anxiety, cortisol and interleukin-6: evidence for specificity in emotion-biology relationshipsAoife O'Donovan
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health Research, St Vincent s University Hospital, University College Dublin, Ireland
Brain Behav Immun 24:1074-7. 2010..Conversely, the groups had equivalent levels of CRP in all analyses. Results are indicative of anxiety-specific effects on inflammatory activity, and highlight a pathway by which anxiety may increase risk for inflammatory diseases...