Nelson C Lau
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Diverse roles for RNA in gene regulationNelson C Lau
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Genome Biol 6:315. 2005
- The microRNAs of Caenorhabditis elegansLee P Lim
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
Genes Dev 17:991-1008. 2003..Our census of the worm miRNAs and their expression patterns helps define this class of noncoding RNAs, lays the groundwork for functional studies, and provides the tools for more comprehensive analyses of miRNA genes in other species...
- Most Caenorhabditis elegans microRNAs are individually not essential for development or viabilityEric A Miska
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS Genet 3:e215. 2007..This study represents the first comprehensive genetic analysis of miRNA function in any organism and provides a unique, permanent resource for the systematic study of miRNAs...
- The coming of age for Piwi proteinsAnita G Seto
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Mol Cell 26:603-9. 2007..Here, we highlight the recent progress in understanding Piwi function and the implications for germline and stem cell development...
- Characterization of the piRNA complex from rat testesNelson C Lau
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Science 313:363-7. 2006..Piwi has been genetically linked to TGS in flies, and slicer activity cofractionates with the purified complex. These results are consistent with a gene-silencing role for piRC in mammals...
- Regulatory mutations of mir-48, a C. elegans let-7 family MicroRNA, cause developmental timing defectsMing Li
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 55455, USA
Dev Cell 9:415-22. 2005..These results suggest that lin-58 alleles disrupt a repressor binding site that restricts the time of miR-48 action in wild-type animals...
- The let-7 MicroRNA family members mir-48, mir-84, and mir-241 function together to regulate developmental timing in Caenorhabditis elegansAllison L Abbott
Department of Genetics, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Dev Cell 9:403-14. 2005..These results indicate that let-7 family microRNAs function in combination to affect both early and late developmental timing decisions...
- Microarray analysis shows that some microRNAs downregulate large numbers of target mRNAsLee P Lim
Rosetta Inpharmatics, Merck and Co, 401 Terry Avenue N, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Nature 433:769-73. 2005..Moreover, miR-1 and miR-124, and presumably other tissue-specific miRNAs, seem to downregulate a far greater number of targets than previously appreciated, thereby helping to define tissue-specific gene expression in humans...
- Censors of the genomeNelson C Lau
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
Sci Am 289:34-41. 2003
- Analysis of small endogenous RNAsNelson C Lau
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Protoc Mol Biol . 2008..This unit also outlines a cell-based reporter gene assay for assessing the regulatory potential of a microRNA on a candidate mRNA target...