Affiliation: Harvard University
- Limited Awareness and Low Immediate Uptake of Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis among Men Who Have Sex with Men Using an Internet Social Networking SiteDouglas S Krakower
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e33119. 2012..Online surveys were conducted to assess PrEP awareness, interest and experience among at-risk MSM before and after iPrEx, and to determine demographic and behavioral factors associated with these measures...
- Promising prevention approaches: tenofovir gel and prophylactic use of antiretroviral medicationsDouglas Krakower
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 8:241-8. 2011..If future studies confirm the safety and efficacy of tenofovir gel and oral PrEP, successful implementation of these strategies could significantly impact the HIV epidemic...
- What primary care providers need to know about preexposure prophylaxis for HIV prevention: a narrative reviewDouglas Krakower
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Intern Med 157:490-7. 2012..Issues related to cost and insurance coverage are also discussed. Recent data suggest that PrEP, combined with other prevention strategies, holds promise in helping to curtail the HIV epidemic...
- Engaging healthcare providers to implement HIV pre-exposure prophylaxisDouglas Krakower
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 7:593-9. 2012..Therefore it is critical to understand provider knowledge, practices, and attitudes towards PrEP prescribing, and to develop strategies for engaging and training providers to provide PrEP...
- Antiretroviral medication and HIV prevention: new steps forward and new questionsKenneth H Mayer
Fenway Health and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ann Intern Med 156:312-4. 2012..However, a substantial gap exists between current expenditures and unmet needs, which suggests that mobilization of political will is needed for this combination approach to be successful...
- The Promise of Antiretrovirals for HIV PreventionCharlene Flash
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 110 Francis Street, Suite GB, Boston, MA, USA
Curr Infect Dis Rep 14:185-93. 2012..Ongoing research will help characterize the role for oral and topical formulations and help quantify potential benefits in sub-populations at risk for HIV acquisition...