R C Kessler
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Kessler R, Shahly V, Stang P, Lane M. The associations of migraines and other headaches with work performance: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R). Cephalalgia. 2010;30:722-34 pubmed publisher..These strong associations suggest that workplace interventions for severe or persistent migraines might have a positive return-on-investment for employers. ..
- Kessler R, McLaughlin K, Green J, Gruber M, Sampson N, Zaslavsky A, et al. Childhood adversities and adult psychopathology in the WHO World Mental Health Surveys. Br J Psychiatry. 2010;197:378-85 pubmed publisher..Childhood adversities have strong associations with all classes of disorders at all life-course stages in all groups of WMH countries. Long-term associations imply the existence of as-yet undetermined mediators. ..
- Kessler R, Avenevoli S, Costello E, Green J, Gruber M, Heeringa S, et al. Design and field procedures in the US National Comorbidity Survey Replication Adolescent Supplement (NCS-A). Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2009;18:69-83 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show that the NCS-A is an efficient sample of the target population with good representativeness on a range of socio-demographic and geographic variables. ..
- Bernecker S, Rosellini A, Nock M, Chiu W, Gutierrez P, Hwang I, et al. Improving risk prediction accuracy for new soldiers in the U.S. Army by adding self-report survey data to administrative data. BMC Psychiatry. 2018;18:87 pubmed publisher..Depending upon the characteristics of interventions used, the increase in targeting accuracy from survey data might offset survey administration costs. ..
- van Loo H, van den Heuvel E, Schoevers R, Anselmino M, Carney R, Denollet J, et al. Sex dependent risk factors for mortality after myocardial infarction: individual patient data meta-analysis. BMC Med. 2014;12:242 pubmed publisher..This study gives rise to a further exploration of prediction models to improve risk assessment for men and women after myocardial infarction. ..
- Kessler R, Coulouvrat C, Hajak G, Lakoma M, Roth T, Sampson N, et al. Reliability and validity of the brief insomnia questionnaire in the America insomnia survey. Sleep. 2010;33:1539-49 pubmed..92-0.95). these results show that the BIQ generates accurate estimates of the prevalence and correlates of hierarchy-free insomnia in the America Insomnia Survey. ..
- Bruffaerts R, Kessler R, Demyttenaere K, Bonnewyn A, Nock M. Examination of the population attributable risk of different risk factor domains for suicidal thoughts and behaviors. J Affect Disord. 2015;187:66-72 pubmed publisher..However, distal risk factors like childhood adversities or trauma also play a considerable role in the new onset of STB, especially in the transition from suicide ideation to suicide attempt. ..
- Kessler R, Aguilar Gaxiola S, Alonso J, Chatterji S, Lee S, Ormel J, et al. The global burden of mental disorders: an update from the WHO World Mental Health (WMH) surveys. Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc. 2009;18:23-33 pubmed..Mental disorders are commonly occurring and often seriously impairing in many countries throughout the world. Expansion of treatment could be cost-effective from both employer and societal perspectives. ..
- Kessler R, McLaughlin K, Koenen K, Petukhova M, Hill E. The importance of secondary trauma exposure for post-disaster mental disorder. Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2012;21:35-45 pubmed..These results document the importance of secondary stressors in accounting for the effects of natural disasters on mental disorders. Implications for intervention planning are discussed. ..
- Kessler R, Chiu W, Jin R, Ruscio A, Shear K, Walters E. The epidemiology of panic attacks, panic disorder, and agoraphobia in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006;63:415-24 pubmed..9% for PD-AG to 18.2% for PA only). Although the major societal burden of panic is caused by PD and PA-AG, isolated PAs also have high prevalence and meaningful role impairment. ..
- Kessler R. The categorical versus dimensional assessment controversy in the sociology of mental illness. J Health Soc Behav. 2002;43:171-88 pubmed..The paper closes with an argument for the tandem use of categorical and dimensional assessments in future sociological research. ..
- Kessler R, Bromet E. The epidemiology of depression across cultures. Annu Rev Public Health. 2013;34:119-38 pubmed publisher..g., low marital quality, low work performance, low earnings), elevated risk of onset, persistence and severity of a wide range of secondary disorders, and increased risk of early mortality due to physical disorders and suicide. ..
- Kessler R, Walters E, Forthofer M. The social consequences of psychiatric disorders, III: probability of marital stability. Am J Psychiatry. 1998;155:1092-6 pubmed..The debate over whether society can afford to provide universal treatment for psychiatric disorders needs to take these costs into consideration. ..
- Kessler R, Berglund P, Coulouvrat C, Hajak G, Roth T, Shahly V, et al. Insomnia and the performance of US workers: results from the America insomnia survey. Sleep. 2011;34:1161-71 pubmed publisher..To estimate the prevalence and associations of broadly defined (i.e., meeting full ICD-10, DSM-IV, or RDC/ICSD-2 inclusion criteria) insomnia with work performance net of comorbid conditions in the America Insomnia Survey (AIS)...
- Rosellini A, Monahan J, Street A, Petukhova M, Sampson N, Benedek D, et al. Predicting Sexual Assault Perpetration in the U.S. Army Using Administrative Data. Am J Prev Med. 2017;53:661-669 pubmed publisher..Whether this would be cost effective, though, would depend on intervention costs, effectiveness, and competing risks. ..
- Frounfelker R, Gilman S, Betancourt T, Aguilar Gaxiola S, Alonso J, Bromet E, et al. Civilians in World War II and DSM-IV mental disorders: results from the World Mental Health Survey Initiative. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2018;53:207-219 pubmed publisher..Whether comparable patterns will be found among civilians living through more recent wars remains to be seen, but should be recognized as a possibility by those projecting future needs for treatment of mental disorders. ..