Affiliation: Harvard University
- S1 is associated with chronic low back pain: a functional and structural MRI studyJian Kong
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Harvard Medical School, 120 2nd Ave, Room 101, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Mol Pain 9:43. 2013..Our results provide evidence of structural plasticity co-localized with areas exhibiting FC changes in S1 in cLBP patients...
- Nonconscious activation of placebo and nocebo pain responsesKarin B Jensen
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:15959-64. 2012..This is a unique experimental verification of the influence of nonconscious conditioned stimuli on placebo/nocebo effects and the results challenge the exclusive role of awareness and conscious cognitions in placebo responses...
- The use of functional neuroimaging to evaluate psychological and other non-pharmacological treatments for clinical painKarin B Jensen
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital MGH Harvard Medical School HMS, Boston, MA, USA
Neurosci Lett 520:156-64. 2012..Evaluations of treatment-related brain changes (functional and structural) might also allow for sub-grouping of patients and help to develop individualized treatments...
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy increases pain-evoked activation of the prefrontal cortex in patients with fibromyalgiaKarin B Jensen
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Pain 153:1495-503. 2012..Our data thereby support our hypothesis about the activation of a cortical control mechanism in response to CBT treatment in chronic pain...
- Patients with fibromyalgia display less functional connectivity in the brain's pain inhibitory networkKarin B Jensen
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Mol Pain 8:32. 2012..The seed coordinates were based on the findings from our previous study, comparing the fMRI signal during calibrated pressure pain in FM and HC: the rostral anterior cingulate cortex (rACC) and thalamus...
- Anxiety and depressive symptoms in fibromyalgia are related to poor perception of health but not to pain sensitivity or cerebral processing of painKarin B Jensen
Stockholm Brain Institute, Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 62:3488-95. 2010....
- Functional connectivity of the frontoparietal network predicts cognitive modulation of painJian Kong
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA, USA
Pain 154:459-67. 2013..We believe that these findings will shed new light on our understanding of variable cue/expectancy effects across individuals and how the intrinsic connectivity of the brain may influence expectancy-induced modulation of pain...
- The catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) val158met polymorphism affects brain responses to repeated painful stimuliMarco L Loggia
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e27764. 2011..These findings may help explain the inconsistencies in reported findings of the impact of COMT in pain regulation...
- Imaging the functional connectivity of the Periaqueductal Gray during genuine and sham electroacupuncture treatmentCarolyn E Zyloney
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, USA
Mol Pain 6:80. 2010..Given the PAG's important role in mediating acupuncture analgesia, in this study we investigated functional connectivity with the area of the PAG we previously identified and how that connectivity was affected by genuine and sham EA...