Grace C Huang
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Characteristics of simulation activities at North American medical schools and teaching hospitals: an AAMC-SSH-ASPE-AACN collaborationGrace C Huang
Shapiro Institute for Education and Research at Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Ave, E ES 212, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Simul Healthc 7:329-33. 2012....
- Reaching the limits of mandated self-reporting: clinical logbooks do not predict clerkship performanceGrace C Huang
Center for Education, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Med Teach 34:e185-8. 2012..Logbooks are used by US medical schools to evaluate curricular objectives and meet accreditation requirements, but research supporting their utility is conflicting...
- Asking for help: internal medicine residents' use of a medical procedure serviceGrace C Huang
Division of Primary Care and General Medicine, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Hosp Med 4:404-9. 2009..Little is known about the professional help-seeking behavior of residents as they perform procedures in the hospital...
- Beyond the comfort zone: residents assess their comfort performing inpatient medical proceduresGrace C Huang
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02215, USA
Am J Med 119:71.e17-24. 2006..As a result, residents may be unskilled and uncomfortable performing procedures. This study characterizes residents' comfort performing medical procedures and identifies factors associated with lack of comfort...
- Virtual patient simulation at US and Canadian medical schoolsGrace Huang
Office of Educational Technology, Carl J Shapiro Institute for Education and Research at Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Acad Med 82:446-51. 2007..The purpose of this inventory was to gather information regarding in-house virtual patient development at U.S. and Canadian medical schools to promote the sharing of existing cases and future collaboration...
- Millennium conference 2005 on medical simulation: a summary reportGrace C Huang
Office of Educational Technology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Simul Healthc 2:88-95. 2007..This document summarizes the proceedings of that conference...
- Procedural competence in internal medicine residents: validity of a central venous catheter insertion assessment instrumentGrace C Huang
Carl J Shapiro Institute for Education and Research, Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Acad Med 84:1127-34. 2009..The objective of the present study was to develop an instrument to assess residents in subclavian (SC) CVC insertion, to set performance standards, and to validate the tool using performance data...
- Teaching patient safety: conference proceedings and consensus statements of the Millennium Conference 2009Grace C Huang
Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Shapiro Institute for Education and Research, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Teach Learn Med 23:172-8. 2011..However, there is limited guidance on strategies for implementation of training programs in patient safety...
- Simulation training and its effect on long-term resident performance in central venous catheterizationC Christopher Smith
Internal Medical Residency Program, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Simul Healthc 5:146-51. 2010..Simulation is a safe alternative to practicing procedural skills on patients. However, few published studies have examined the long-term effect of simulation technology on bedside procedures such as central venous catheter (CVC) insertion...
- Creation of an innovative inpatient medical procedure service and a method to evaluate house staff competencyC Christopher Smith
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Gen Intern Med 19:510-3. 2004..The American Board of Internal Medicine requires substantiation of competence in procedure skills for all internal medicine residents; however, for most procedures, standards of competence do not exist...
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive strategic plan for medical education at an academic medical centerRichard M Schwartzstein
Center for Education, Carl J Shapiro Institute for Education and Research, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Acad Med 83:550-9. 2008..The application of a rigorous strategic planning process to medical education at an academic teaching hospital can focus the mission, invigorate faculty, and lead to innovative programs...
- Randomized, controlled trial of a normal pregnancy virtual patient to teach medical students counseling skillsHope A Ricciotti
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Reprod Med 55:498-502. 2010....
- Effect of a systems intervention on the quality and safety of patient handoffs in an internal medicine residency programKelly L Graham
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 28:986-93. 2013..In residency programs, problematic handoffs may be an unintended consequence of duty-hour restrictions, and key data are frequently omitted from written handoffs because of the lack of standardization of content...