Affiliation: Harvard University
- Performance of an automated computer-based scoring method to assess joint space narrowing in rheumatoid arthritis: a longitudinal studyAxel Finckh
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arthritis Rheum 54:1444-50. 2006..To compare the diagnostic performance of a computer-based method for measuring joint space width with the Sharp joint space narrowing (JSN) scoring method in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Progression of radiographic joint damage in different eras: trends towards milder disease in rheumatoid arthritis are attributable to improved treatmentA Finckh
Division of Rheumatology, Av Beau Séjour 26, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Ann Rheum Dis 65:1192-7. 2006..Severity of rheumatoid arthritis and progression of radiographic joint damage have decreased over the last decades...
- Short-term efficacy of intravenous pulse glucocorticoids in acute discogenic sciatica. A randomized controlled trialAxel Finckh
Section of Clinical Sciences, Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:377-81. 2006..Double-blinded randomized controlled trial...
- The effectiveness of anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy in preventing progressive radiographic joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based studyAxel Finckh
Robert B Brigham Atthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases Clinical Research Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arthritis Rheum 54:54-9. 2006..The 3 strategies were infliximab with concomitant disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs), etanercept with concomitant DMARDs, and etanercept alone...
- Evidence for differential acquired drug resistance to anti-tumour necrosis factor agents in rheumatoid arthritisA Finckh
Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 65:746-52. 2006..Acquired drug resistance or gradual drug failure has been described with most disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) and is also starting to be recognised with anti-tumour necrosis factor (anti-TNF) agents...
- Long-term impact of early treatment on radiographic progression in rheumatoid arthritis: A meta-analysisAxel Finckh
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arthritis Rheum 55:864-72. 2006..We examined the long-term benefit of early DMARD initiation on radiographic progression in early RA...
- A randomized controlled trial of dehydroepiandrosterone in postmenopausal women with fibromyalgiaAxel Finckh
Rheumatology Department, University Hospital of Vaud CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Rheumatol 32:1336-40. 2005..DHEA is promoted for and used by patients with FM. We tested the efficacy and safety of DHEA supplementation in ameliorating the symptoms of FM...
- [Review of the protective effects of tumor necrosis factor inhibitors in rheumatoid arthritis]Axel Finckh
Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Clinical Research Center, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, USA
Rev Med Suisse Romande 124:547-50. 2004..We also touch on the notion of a therapeutic window of opportunity early in the course of RA, as early initiation of aggressive treatment seems to provide a sustained benefit on radiographic progression...
- Occupational silica and solvent exposures and risk of systemic lupus erythematosus in urban womenAxel Finckh
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arthritis Rheum 54:3648-54. 2006..To assess the risk of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) associated with occupational exposure to silica dust and organic solvents in an urban population...
- Elevated levels of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in periradicular fat tissue in patients with radiculopathy from herniated discS Genevay
Division of Rheumatology, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2041-6. 2008..Case-control study...
- Cigarette smoking and radiographic progression in rheumatoid arthritisA Finckh
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Geneva, 26 Av Beau Sejour, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Ann Rheum Dis 66:1066-71. 2007..However, it remains unclear whether smoking influences RA disease progression and whether smokers have more radiographic damage progression than non-smokers over time...
- Fibromyalgia: a randomised, controlled trial of a treatment programme based on self managementC Cedraschi
Division of Rheumatology, Geneva University Hospital, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Ann Rheum Dis 63:290-6. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy of a treatment programme for patients with fibromyalgia (FM) based on self management, using pool exercises and education...
- Adalimumab in acute sciatica reduces the long-term need for surgery: a 3-year follow-up of a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trialS Genevay
Division of Rheumatology, University Hospitals of Geneva, Switzerland
Ann Rheum Dis 71:560-2. 2012..Two subcutaneous injections of adalimumab in severe acute sciatica significantly reduced the number of back operations in a short-term randomised controlled clinical trial...
- A six year prospective study of a cohort of patients with fibromyalgiaE Baumgartner
Division of Rheumatology, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Ann Rheum Dis 61:644-5. 2002..RESULTS: Most symptoms had remained stable. Pain had increased, but some aspects of quality of life had improved over time. CONCLUSION: Symptoms of FM persisted over the six years, but patients appeared better able to cope with them...
- The cervical spine in calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate deposition disease. A prevalent case-control studyAxel Finckh
Rheumatology and Radiology Departments, University Hospital of Vaud CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Rheumatol 31:545-9. 2004..To test the hypothesis that calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate (CPPD) deposition disease is a risk factor for neck pain...
- Methotrexate as an alternative therapy for chronic calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease: an exploratory analysisAmélie Chollet Janin
Division of Rheumatology, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 56:688-92. 2007....
- B cell depletion may be more effective than switching to an alternative anti-tumor necrosis factor agent in rheumatoid arthritis patients with inadequate response to anti-tumor necrosis factor agentsAxel Finckh
University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 56:1417-23. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the effectiveness of RTX with that of an alternative anti-TNF agent in the management of patients with RA who had an inadequate response to anti-TNF therapy...
- Tolerance and effectiveness of anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha therapies in elderly patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based cohort studyStephane Genevay
University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 57:679-85. 2007..The goal of the present study was to evaluate the tolerance to and effectiveness of anti-tumor necrosis factor (anti-TNF) agents in elderly patients (> or =65 years old) with RA (ERA) in comparison with younger patients (YRA)...
- Neutral functional realignment orthosis prevents hand pain in patients with subacute stroke: a randomized trialElisabeth Bürge
Haute école de santé Geneva, HES SO University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland, Geneva, Switzerland
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:1857-62. 2008..To quantify the preventive effect of a neutral functional realignment orthosis on pain, mobility, and edema of the hand in subacute hemiparetic poststroke patients with severe motor deficits...
- The exercise prescription in rheumatoid arthritis: primum non nocereAxel Finckh
Arthritis Rheum 48:2393-5. 2003
- At the horizon of innovative therapy in rheumatology: new biologic agentsAxel Finckh
Division of Rheumatology, University Hospitals of Geneva and University of Geneva, Switzerland
Curr Opin Rheumatol 20:269-75. 2008..To review the rational and the results regarding the use of novel biologic agents in inflammatory rheumatic diseases...
- [Diagnostic strategy in presence of diffuse pain]Axel Finckh
Service de Rhumatologie, Departement de Medecine Interne, HUG, 1211 Geneve 14
Rev Med Suisse 3:1562, 1565-8. 2007..In the absence of an alternative etiology, the diagnosis of FM must be considered in presence of a cluster of symptoms associating diffuse pain, asthenia and a certain number of tender points...
- Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibodies in the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis: bayes clears the hazeAxel Finckh
Ann Intern Med 146:816-7. 2007
- Barriers to a trial of atherosclerosis prevention in systemic lupus erythematosusKaren H Costenbader
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arthritis Rheum 53:718-23. 2005..We describe our experience in recruiting and retaining patients with SLE in this trial...
- Radiographic joint space width in the fingers of patients with rheumatoid arthritis of less than one year's durationEwan C Goligher
Robert B. Brigham Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases Clinical Research Center, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arthritis Rheum 54:1440-3. 2006..In studies of RA in which JSW measurements are included as an outcome, these differences may need to be accounted for in the analysis...