Affiliation: Harvard University
- The social ecology of child health and well-beingF Earls
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 22:143-66. 2001..The capacity to benefit children is also enhanced as public health science aims to translate the principles of child rights into health practice and policy...
- Community factors supporting child mental HealthF Earls
Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 10:693-709. 2001....
- Darwin and Lincoln: their legacy of human dignityFelton Earls
Department of Society Human Development and Health, Harvard Medical School and School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Perspect Biol Med 53:3-13. 2010..The essay concludes with a set of questions and challenges that confront us, foremost among which is the need to balance actions in response to the violation of negative rights by actions in the pursuit of positive rights...
- Promoting child and adolescent mental health in the context of the HIV/AIDS pandemic with a focus on sub-Saharan AfricaFelton Earls
Department of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02138, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 49:295-312. 2008..This review focuses on the ways in which children and adolescents are impacted by the epidemic, giving particular attention to their mental health...
- Executive and motivational control of performance task behavior, and autonomic heart-rate regulation in children: physiologic validation of two-factor solution inhibitory controlE Mezzacappa
Judge Baker Children s Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 39:525-31. 1998..22, p < .03). These findings supported a two-factor solution of inhibitory control derived in a previous study...
- Trends in adolescent suicide: misclassification bias?B Mohler
Department of Maternal and Child Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Public Health 91:150-3. 2001..This study investigated the effect of misclassification of accidental deaths and undetermined deaths on age-, sex-, and race/ethnicity-specific adolescent suicide rates from 1979 through 1994...
- Child abuse and performance task assessments of executive functions in boysE Mezzacappa
The Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 42:1041-8. 2001....
- Links between pubertal timing and neighborhood contexts: implications for girls' violent behaviorDawn Obeidallah
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 43:1460-8. 2004..To investigate links between girls' violent behavior, pubertal timing, and neighborhood characteristics...
- A multilevel study of neighborhoods and parent-to-child physical aggression: results from the project on human development in Chicago neighborhoodsBeth E Molnar
Department of Maternal and Child Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Child Maltreat 8:84-97. 2003..The article's conclusion is that neighborhood characteristics may influence the amount of PCPA used by families. Neighborhood intervention strategies hold promise...
- Diverging associations of maternal age with low birthweight for black and white mothersJanet W Rich-Edwards
Project on Human Development in Chicago Neighborhoods, Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Epidemiol 32:83-90. 2003..Our aim was to investigate correlates and causes of the racial/ethnic divergence in low birthweight by maternal age...
- Neighborhood support and the birth weight of urban infantsStephen L Buka
Project on Human Development in Chicago Neighborhoods, Chicago, IL, USA
Am J Epidemiol 157:1-8. 2003..Results support the hypothesis that neighborhood-level factors are significantly associated with infant birth weight...
- Young citizens as health agents: use of drama in promoting community efficacy for HIV/AIDSNorifumi Kamo
Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Am J Public Health 98:201-4. 2008..In independently conducted surveys of neighborhood residents, differences were found between adults who did and did not witness the skits in their beliefs about the efficacy of children as HIV/AIDS primary change agents...
- Community violence and urban childhood asthma: a multilevel analysisM J Sternthal
Dept of Environmental and Occupational Medicine and Epidemiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Eur Respir J 36:1400-9. 2010..These data suggest that public health interventions outside the biomedical model may be needed to reduce asthma in disadvantaged populations...
- Behavioral profiles in 4-5 year-old children: normal and pathological variantsJan Olov Larsson
Department of Woman and Child Health, Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Unit, Karolinska Institutet, Q3 04, Astrid Lindgren Children s Hospital, Karolinska Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Child Psychiatry Hum Dev 35:143-62. 2004..The approach of analysing patterns of symptoms expands the basis on which normal and psychopathological patterns are distinguished...