Affiliation: Harvard University
- Revisiting the evidence on health and health care disparities among the Roma: a systematic review 2003-2012Benjamin Cook
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Public Health 58:885-911. 2013..To conduct a systematic review of the epidemiological and health service utilization literature related to the Roma population between 2003 and 2012...
- The costs and benefits of reducing racial-ethnic disparities in mental health careBENJAMIN LE COOK
Dr Cook, Mr Liu, Ms Lessios, and Mr Loder are with the Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Cambridge Health Alliance, Somerville, Massachusetts e mail Dr Cook is also with the Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, Massachusetts Dr McGuire is with the Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston This work was presented in part at the following meetings AcademyHealth, June 24 26, 2012, Orlando, Florida National Hispanic Science Network, September 26 29, 2012, San Diego Eleventh Workshop on Costs and Assessment in Psychiatry, International Center of Mental Health Policy and Economics, March 22 24, 2013, Venice, Italy
Psychiatr Serv 66:389-96. 2015..This study examined whether reducing racial-ethnic disparities in mental health care offsets costs of care...
- Acculturation differences in communicating information about child mental health between latino parents and primary care providersBENJAMIN LE COOK
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Cambridge Health Alliance, 120 Beacon Street, 4th Floor, Somerville, MA, 02143, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 16:1093-102. 2014..Greater provider and MA awareness of variation in resistance to communicating psychosocial issues could improve communication, and improve the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of youth mental illness. ..
- Measuring disparities across the distribution of mental health care expendituresBenjamin Lê Cook
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 16:3-12. 2013..Previous mental health care disparities studies predominantly compare mean mental health care use across racial/ethnic groups, leaving policymakers with little information on disparities among those with a higher level of expenditures...
- The impact of insurance coverage in diminishing racial and ethnic disparities in behavioral health servicesMargarita Alegria
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School and Cambridge Health Alliance, 120 Beacon St, 4th Floor, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Health Serv Res 47:1322-44. 2012..To estimate whether racial/ethnic behavioral health service disparities are likely to be reduced through insurance expansion coverage expected through the Affordable Health Care Act...
- Whether medically unexplained or not, three or more concurrent somatic symptoms predict psychopathology and service use in community populationsJavier I Escobar
Department of Psychiatry, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
J Psychosom Res 69:1-8. 2010..To examine the frequency of somatic symptoms in a community population of various ethnic backgrounds and to identify correlates of these symptoms such as psychopathology, use of services, and personal distress...
- Cost-effectiveness of a randomized trial to treat depression among LatinosNilay Kafali
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Cambridge Health Alliance Harvard Medical School 120 Beacon Street, 4th Floor, Somerville, MA 02143
J Ment Health Policy Econ 17:41-50. 2014..Identifying cost-effective treatments for depression among Latinos is particularly relevant given substantial disparities in access to depression treatment for Latinos compared to non-Latino whites...
- Effectiveness of the Engagement and Counseling for Latinos (ECLA) intervention in low-income LatinosMargarita Alegria
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Somerville, MA Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA Behavioral Sciences Research Institute, University of Puerto Rico Medical School, San Juan, PR Department of Psychology, New York University, NY Department of Psychology, Clark University, MA Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY Department of Psychiatry, MSC University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR
Med Care 52:989-97. 2014..Persistent disparities in access and quality of mental health care for Latinos indicate a need for evidence-based, culturally adapted, and outside-the-clinic-walls treatments...
- Pathways and correlates connecting Latinos' mental health with exposure to the United StatesBenjamin Cook
Cambridge Health Alliance, Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Harvard Medical School, 120 Beacon St, 4th Floor, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Am J Public Health 99:2247-54. 2009..We examined potential pathways by which time in the United States may relate to differences in the predicted probability of past-year psychiatric disorder among Latino immigrants as compared with US-born Latinos...
- Characteristics, access, utilization, satisfaction, and outcomes of healthy start participants in eight sitesMARGO ROSENBACH
Mathematica Policy Research, Inc, Cambridge, MA, 02139, USA
Matern Child Health J 14:666-79. 2010..The life course theory suggests that improved outcomes may require longer-term investments. Healthy Start's emerging focus on interconception care has the potential to address longer-term needs of participants...