Affiliation: Harvard University
- Social inequalities in response to antidepressant treatment in older adultsAlex Cohen
Department of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:50-6. 2006..We examined the relationship between socioeconomic status and response to treatment for depression among older adults...
- Barriers to improvement of mental health services in low-income and middle-income countriesBenedetto Saraceno
Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 370:1164-74. 2007..Population-wide progress in access to humane mental health care will depend on substantially more attention to politics, leadership, planning, advocacy, and participation...
- Making sense of evidenceAlex Cohen
Department of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Int Rev Psychiatry 19:583-91. 2007..We argue that, in the end, the process of making sense of evidence is not straightforward and that professional biases and social prejudices often influence decisions...
- Questioning an axiom: better prognosis for schizophrenia in the developing world?Alex Cohen
Department of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, 641 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Schizophr Bull 34:229-44. 2008..This is based primarily on a series of cross-national studies by the World Health Organization (WHO). However, increasing evidence from other research indicates a far more complex picture...
- Economic inequalities in the effectiveness of a primary care intervention for depression and suicidal ideationStephen E Gilman
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Epidemiology 24:14-22. 2013..Economic disadvantage is associated with depression and suicide. We sought to determine whether economic disadvantage reduces the effectiveness of depression treatments received in primary care...
- Social inequalities in depression and suicidal ideation among older primary care patientsStephen E Gilman
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 48:59-69. 2013..Depression and suicide are major public health concerns, and are often unrecognized among the elderly. This study investigated social inequalities in depressive symptoms and suicidal ideation among older adults...
- [Mental health among indigenous population. An international view]Alex Cohen
Department of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts, USA
Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 11:1-70. 2002
- Treatment and prevention of mental disorders in low-income and middle-income countriesVikram Patel
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet 370:991-1005. 2007..However, we recommend that policymakers should act on the available evidence to scale up effective and cost-effective treatments and preventive interventions for mental disorders...
- Is the outcome of schizophrenia really better in developing countries?Vikram Patel
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 28:149-52. 2006....
- The Lancet's series on global mental health: 1 year onVikram Patel
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK Sangath Centre, Porvorim, Goa, India
Lancet 372:1354-7. 2008