Affiliation: Harvard University
- Processing of global, but not local, motion direction is deficient in schizophreniaY Chen
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School McLean Hospital, USA
Schizophr Res 61:215-27. 2003....
- Bipolar and schizophrenic patients differ in patterns of visual motion discriminationYue Chen
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Schizophr Res 88:208-16. 2006..Here we examined whether the motion processing impairment found in schizophrenia also occurs in bipolar disorder...
- Visual and cognitive control of attention in smooth pursuitYue Chen
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Prog Brain Res 140:255-65. 2002..The temporal dynamics of these complementary controls of visual and non-visual cognitive attention support the continuous generation of smooth pursuit so that eye tracking of a moving target can be prompt and accurate...
- Differential roles of low and high spatial frequency content in abnormal facial emotion perception in schizophreniaRyan McBain
Mailman Research Center, McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Schizophr Res 122:151-5. 2010..In controls, this effect was found only at low emotional salience. These results indicate that basic visual processing has an amplified modulatory effect on emotion perception in schizophrenia...
- Compromised late-stage motion processing in schizophreniaYue Chen
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School and McLean Hospital, Mailman Research Center, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Biol Psychiatry 55:834-41. 2004..Based on neurophysiologic and brain lesion studies, a velocity discrimination deficit can implicate early-stage motion processing if it is contrast-dependent or late-stage motion processing if it is contrast-independent...
- Visual and cognitive processing of face information in schizophrenia: detection, discrimination and working memoryYue Chen
McLean Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, USA
Schizophr Res 107:92-8. 2009..This pattern of results indicates that greater signal strength is required for visual and cognitive processing of facial information in schizophrenia...
- Differential activation patterns of occipital and prefrontal cortices during motion processing: evidence from normal and schizophrenic brainsYue Chen
McLean Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Massachusetts 02478, USA
Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci 8:293-303. 2008..Furthermore, this result provides evidence that in the context of broadly distributed cortical dysfunction, the usual functional specificity of the cortex becomes modified, even across the domains of sensory and cognitive processing...
- Altered center-surround motion inhibition in schizophreniaYue Chen
McLean Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Massachusetts, USA
Biol Psychiatry 64:74-7. 2008..Center-surround interaction is a ubiquitous neural mechanism underlying the organization of visual information over different spatial locations...
- Females excel at basic face perceptionRyan McBain
Mailman Research Center, McLean Hospital, Room G06, Centre Bldg, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, United States
Acta Psychol (Amst) 130:168-73. 2009..5 to 3s. These results reveal a female advantage in processing face-specific information and underscore the role of perceptual factors in socially relevant gender differences...
- Reduced ability to detect facial configuration in middle-aged and elderly individuals: associations with spatiotemporal visual processingDaniel Norton
Visual Psychophysiology Laboratory, McLean Hospital, Belmont, Massachusetts, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 64:328-34. 2009..Face detection was correlated strongly with contrast sensitivities, but only weakly with verbal IQ. The results suggest that face detection ability begins to reduce in early aging, and is associated with spatiotemporal visual processing...
- Association of impaired facial affect recognition with basic facial and visual processing deficits in schizophreniaDaniel Norton
McLean Hospital, Belmont, Massachusetts, USA
Biol Psychiatry 65:1094-8. 2009..We examined whether and how poor facial emotion recognition in schizophrenia is related to basic visual processing and nonaffective face recognition...
- Visual motion integration in schizophrenia patients, their first-degree relatives, and patients with bipolar disorderYue Chen
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, USA
Schizophr Res 74:271-81. 2005..Our findings suggest that deficiencies in integrating motion signals, while specific for schizophrenia, do not seem to be a co-familial trait...
- Effects of typical, atypical, and no antipsychotic drugs on visual contrast detection in schizophreniaYue Chen
Psychology Research Laboratory, Mailman Reseach Center, McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:1795-801. 2003....
- Inefficient face detection in schizophreniaYue Chen
Department of Psychiatry, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Schizophr Bull 34:367-74. 2008..Higher levels of facial processing, such as recognition of the individuality and emotional expression of faces, are abnormal in schizophrenia. It is unknown, however, whether the visual detection of a face as face is impaired as well...
- Two visual motion processing deficits in developmental dyslexia associated with different reading skills deficitsJeremy B Wilmer
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
J Cogn Neurosci 16:528-40. 2004..The two distinct patterns of motion processing and reading deficits demonstrated by this study may reflect separable underlying neurocognitive mechanisms of developmental dyslexia...
- Differences in the pharmacological activation of visual opsinsT Isayama
Department of Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Vis Neurosci 23:899-908. 2006..Thus opsin structure determines the identity of beta-ionone as an agonist or an inverse agonist and in that respect distinguishes the red-sensitive cone opsin from all others...
- Endothelial cell death, angiogenesis, and microvascular function after castration in an androgen-dependent tumor: role of vascular endothelial growth factorR K Jain
Edwin L Steele Laboratory, Department of Radiation Oncology, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:10820-5. 1998..Because human tumors often relapse following hormone-ablation therapy, our data suggest that these patients may benefit from combined anti-VEGF therapy...
- Can persons with schizophrenia appreciate visual art?Y Chen
McLean Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA 02478, United States
Schizophr Res 105:245-51. 2008..The reduced sensitivity to visual feature manipulations suggests that the modulation of basic visual signals, often used for vivid and dynamic expressions in art, may be under-appreciated in schizophrenia...
- Schizophrenia patients show augmented spatial frame illusion for visual and visuomotor tasksY Chen
Mailman Research Center, McLean Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Neuroscience 172:419-26. 2011..These results provide evidence for a hypothesis of improper inhibitory control as a common mechanism underpinning abnormal visual and visuomotor processes in this mental disorder...
- Alzheimer's disease: a dysfunction of the amyloid precursor protein(1)R L Neve
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, MRC 223 McLean Hospital, 115 Mill St, 02478, Belmont, MA, USA
Brain Res 886:54-66. 2000....
- Hypoxia and acidosis independently up-regulate vascular endothelial growth factor transcription in brain tumors in vivoD Fukumura
Edwin L Steele Laboratory, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Cancer Res 61:6020-4. 2001..These results suggest that VEGF transcription in brain tumors is regulated by both tissue pO(2) and pH via distinct pathways...
- Less attention is more in the preparation of antisaccades, but not prosaccadesA Kristjansson
Vision Sciences Laboratory, Harvard University, 33 Kirkland Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nat Neurosci 4:1037-42. 2001..The results suggest that the suppression of sensorimotor reflexes can facilitate volitional motor acts...
- In situ immune response in gut-associated lymphoid tissue (GALT) following oral antigen in TCR-transgenic miceP A Gonnella
Center for Neurologic Diseases, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 160:4708-18. 1998..The induction of cytokines known to inhibit autoimmune disease at the site of Ag absorption indicates an important role for the mucosal immune system in the establishment of oral tolerance...
- Effects of domain-specific noise on visual motion processing in schizophreniaYue Chen
McLean Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e99031. 2014..Filtering out noise is a critical aspect of information processing, and needs to be critically examined in schizophrenia...
- The amyloid precursor protein-binding protein APP-BP1 drives the cell cycle through the S-M checkpoint and causes apoptosis in neuronsY Chen
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, McLean Hospital, Belmont, Massachusetts 02478, USA
J Biol Chem 275:8929-35. 2000..A specific caspase-6 inhibitor blocks this apoptosis. These findings are discussed in the context of abnormalities in the cell cycle that have been observed in Alzheimer's disease...
- Aging and visual motion discrimination in normal adults and schizophrenia patientsL Cinnamon Bidwell
Department of Psychology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, USA
Psychiatry Res 145:1-8. 2006..A similar motion-discrimination deficit in schizophrenia patients and aging normal adults suggests that the mechanisms underlying motion processing in schizophrenia and normal aging may be associated...
- Altered 'three-flash' illusion in response to two light pulses in schizophreniaDan Norton
McLean Hospital, United States
Schizophr Res 103:275-82. 2008..We examined the perceived interaction of two elementary visual events in schizophrenia patients, using a psychophysical approach...
- MMP-2, MMP-9 and TIMP-2 gene polymorphisms in Chinese patients with generalized aggressive periodontitisDong Chen
Department of Periodontology and Oral Medicine, School of Stomatology, China
J Clin Periodontol 34:384-9. 2007..The study was carried out to analyse the association of functional polymorphisms in MMP-2, MMP-9 and TIMP-2 with generalized AgP (G-AgP) in a Chinese population...
- The influence of ambient coarse particulate matter on asthma hospitalization in children: case-crossover and time-series analysesMei Lin
Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 110:575-81. 2002..For the most part, relative risk estimates from the unidirectional case-crossover analysis were more pronounced compared with both bidirectional case-crossover and time-series analyses...
- Hospital readmissions for asthma in children and young adults in CanadaYue Chen
Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Pulmonol 36:22-6. 2003..Airway size, female hormonal changes, increased use of cosmetic products, and cigarette smoking among adolescent girls may contribute to the age- and sex-differences in adolescence...
- [Hfgl2/fibroleukin expression in liver and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) and its correlation with disease severity]Fan Zhu
Department of Infectious Disease, Tongji Hospital of Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi 12:385-8. 2004..The undergoing study in this report is designed to identify the role of hfgl 2 (human fibrinogen like protein 2) /fibroleukin in patients with viral hepatitis...
- HBV infection and familial aggregation of liver cancer: an analysis of case-control family studyYanhui Gao
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
Cancer Causes Control 15:845-50. 2004..Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection is one of the most important risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). The specific aim of this study is to assess the influence of HBV infection on familial aggregation of HCC...
- Association between particulate air pollution and first hospital admission for childhood respiratory illness in Vancouver, CanadaQiuying Yang
McLaughlin Centre for Population Health Risk Assessment, Institute of Population Health, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Arch Environ Health 59:14-21. 2004..22 (1.02, 1.48) and 1.14 (0.99, 1.32). The data indicated the possibility of harmful effects from coarse PM on first hospitalization for respiratory disease in early childhood...
- An overview of the association between allergy and cancerMichelle C Turner
R Samuel McLaughlin Center for Population Health Risk Assessment, University of Ottawa, Canada
Int J Cancer 118:3124-32. 2006..There is also a need for further basic research to clarify a potential mechanism, should an association exist...
- Alcohol drinking and renal cell carcinoma in Canadian men and womenJinfu Hu
Evidence and Risk Assessment Division, Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Control, Public Health Agency of Canada, 120 Colonnade Road, AL 6701A, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Detect Prev 32:7-14. 2008..The present study examines the association between alcohol intake and the risk of RCC among men and women...
- Noninvasive scintigraphic detection of tumor with 99mTc-DTPA-deoxyglucose: an experimental studyYue Chen
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Affiliated Hospital, Luzhou Medical College, Luzhou, Sichuan, China
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 22:403-5. 2007..We investigated (99m)Tc-DTPA-DG for tumor detection...
- Identification and validation of S100A7 associated with lung squamous cell carcinoma metastasis to brainHao Zhang
Key Laboratory for Cell Proliferation and Regulation Biology Ministry of Education, Beijing Normal University, 19th Xinjiekouwai St, 100875 Beijing, China
Lung Cancer 57:37-45. 2007..These findings suggest that S100A7 expression is closely associated with SCC metastasis to brain and may be a potential biomarker for monitoring the development of SCC...
- Elevation of serum l-lactate dehydrogenase B correlated with the clinical stage of lung cancerYue Chen
Key Laboratory of Cell Proliferation and Regulation of Ministry of Education, Beijing Normal University, 19th Xinjiekouwai St, Beijing 100875, PR China
Lung Cancer 54:95-102. 2006..These findings demonstrated that secretome could open up a possibility to find, identify, and characterize novel biomarkers related with invasion and metastasis...
- MOTION PROCESSING SYSTEM IN SCHIZOPHRENIAYue Chen; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results of these studies will generate a systematic characterization of the functional properties of the motion processing system as well as the parietal system in schizophrenia. ..
- MOTION PROCESSING SYSTEM IN SCHIZOPHRENIAYue Chen; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of these studies will generate a systematic characterization of the functional properties of the motion processing system as well as the parietal system in schizophrenia. ..
- Motion Processing System in SchizophreniaYue Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..sum of the parts" hypothesis can be evaluated empirically. ..
- MOTION PROCESSING SYSTEM IN SCHIZOPHRENIAYue Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these studies will generate a systematic characterization of the functional properties of the motion processing system as well as the parietal system in schizophrenia. ..
- Motion Processing System in SchizophreniaYue Chen; Fiscal Year: 2006..sum of the parts" hypothesis can be evaluated empirically. ..
- Motion Processing System in SchizophreniaYue Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..sum of the parts" hypothesis can be evaluated empirically. ..
- Motion Processing System in SchizophreniaYue Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009..sum of the parts" hypothesis can be evaluated empirically. ..