Laura M Bogart
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Conspiracy beliefs about HIV are related to antiretroviral treatment nonadherence among african american men with HIVLaura M Bogart
Children s Hospital Boston Harvard Medical School, Department of Medicine, Division of General Pediatrics, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:648-55. 2010..We examined whether a specific form of medical mistrust-HIV conspiracy beliefs (eg, HIV is genocide against African Americans)-was associated with antiretroviral treatment nonadherence among African American men with HIV...
- Barriers to care among people living with HIV in South Africa: contrasts between patient and healthcare provider perspectivesLaura M Bogart
Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Medicine, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
AIDS Care 25:843-53. 2013..Better communication and understanding between patients and providers are needed to facilitate greater patient satisfaction and retention in HIV care...
- Parental and home environmental facilitators of sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among overweight and obese Latino youthLaura M Bogart
Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Medicine, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, 02115, USA
Acad Pediatr 13:348-55. 2013..To explore parental and home environmental facilitators of sugar-sweetened beverage (SSB) and water consumption among obese/overweight Latino youth...
- Perceived discrimination and physical health among HIV-positive Black and Latino men who have sex with menLaura M Bogart
Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
AIDS Behav 17:1431-41. 2013..6, p < 0.01] and AIDS symptoms [F (3,163) = 3.1, p < 0.05]. Findings suggest that the stress of multiple types of discrimination plays a role in health outcomes...
- Validation of a quality-of-life scale for women with bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitisLaura M Bogart
Division of General Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, 21 Autumn Street, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Qual Life Res 21:1665-70. 2012..To validate a disease-specific scale to measure the impact of symptoms of bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitis (BPS/IC), a condition that affects up to 6.5% of U.S. women...
- Community HIV treatment advocacy programs may support treatment adherenceLaura M Bogart
Division of General Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 24:1-14. 2012..2 vs. 3.4; b(SE) = 1.97(0.48), p < .0001]; and had fewer unmet social-service needs [Ms = 1.8 vs. 2.7; b(SE) = -1.06(0.48), p < .05]. Findings suggest the need for a randomized controlled trial of TA...
- Perceived discrimination and mental health symptoms among Black men with HIVLaura M Bogart
Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 17:295-302. 2011..05). Findings suggest that some types of perceived discrimination contribute to poor mental health among PLWH. Researchers need to take into account intersecting stigmata when developing interventions to improve mental health among PLWH...
- Preliminary healthy eating outcomes of SNaX, a pilot community-based intervention for adolescentsLaura M Bogart
Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, 21 Autumn Street, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Adolesc Health 48:196-202. 2011..SNaX aimed to translate school obesity-prevention policies into practice with peer advocacy of healthy eating and school cafeteria changes...
- Prevalence and correlates of sexual dysfunction among women with bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitisLaura M Bogart
Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Urology 77:576-80. 2011..S. households. Sexual dysfunction can contribute to a reduced quality of life for women with bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitis (BPS/IC)...
- Longitudinal association of HIV conspiracy beliefs with sexual risk among black males living with HIVLaura M Bogart
Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston and Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, 21 Autumn Street Room 220 4, Boston, MA, USA
AIDS Behav 15:1180-6. 2011..Secondary prevention interventions may need to address medical mistrust as a contributor to sexual risk among African Americans living with HIV...
- Community-based participatory research: partnering with communities for effective and sustainable behavioral health interventionsLaura M Bogart
Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Health Psychol 28:391-3. 2009..g., African American health plan staff; consultants with expertise in Black identity theory, on which the intervention was based) was engaged in major project decisions regarding the measures and intervention design...
- Longitudinal relationships between antiretroviral treatment adherence and discrimination due to HIV-serostatus, race, and sexual orientation among African-American men with HIVLaura M Bogart
Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Behav Med 40:184-90. 2010..05). In the multivariate model, only racial discrimination was significant (p < 0.05). Efforts to improve HIV treatment adherence should consider the context of multiple stigmas, especially racism...
- Using community-based participatory research to identify potential interventions to overcome barriers to adolescents' healthy eating and physical activityYing Ying Goh
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Department of Pediatrics, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Behav Med 32:491-502. 2009..Participants supported health education delivered by students. Findings demonstrate that community-based participatory research is useful for revealing potentially feasible interventions that are acceptable to community members...
- Increasing the availability and consumption of drinking water in middle schools: a pilot studyAnisha I Patel
Department of Pediatrics, University of California at San Francisco, 3333 California St, Ste 245, Mailbox 0503, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 8:A60. 2011..We assessed the acceptability, feasibility, and outcomes of a school-based intervention to improve drinking water consumption among adolescents...
- Association of discrimination-related trauma with sexual risk among HIV-positive African American men who have sex with menERROL L FIELDS
Division of Adolescent Medicine and General Pediatrics, Department of Medicine, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Public Health 103:875-80. 2013..g., physical assault because of race), was associated with unprotected anal intercourse, especially when compared with non-discrimination-related trauma, among African American men who have sex with men...
- Patient disease perceptions and coping strategies for arthritis in a developing nation: a qualitative studyNina N Niu
Orthopedic and Arthritis Center for Outcomes Research, Brigham and Woman s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 12:228. 2011..There is little prior research on the burden of arthritis in the developing world. We sought to document how patients with advanced arthritis living in the Dominican Republic are affected by and cope with their disease...
- Association between perceived discrimination and racial/ethnic disparities in problem behaviors among preadolescent youthsLaura M Bogart
Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Medicine, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Public Health 103:1074-81. 2013..We examined the contribution of perceived racial/ethnic discrimination to disparities in problem behaviors among preadolescent Black, Latino, and White youths...
- Fears about HIV transmission in families with an HIV-infected parent: a qualitative analysisBurton O Cowgill
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Pediatrics 122:e950-8. 2008..In this article, we describe transmission-related fears in families with an HIV-infected parent...
- School site visits for community-based participatory research on healthy eatingAnisha I Patel
Department of Pediatrics, University of California at Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Prev Med 37:S300-6. 2009..This paper demonstrates the utility of site visits in the development of an intervention to implement obesity-related policies in Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) middle schools...
- Pediatric residents' perspectives on reducing work hours and lengthening residency: a national surveyMary Beth Gordon
aDivision of General Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Pediatrics 130:99-107. 2012..Program directors tend to oppose further restrictions; however, residents' views are unclear. We sought to determine whether residents support these proposals, and if so why...
- HIV risk and perceptions of masculinity among young black men who have sex with menERROL L FIELDS
Boston Combined Residency Program in Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Boston and Boston Medical Center, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Adolesc Health 50:296-303. 2012..We explored contextual social-environmental factors that may influence how YBMSM assess risk, choose partners, and make decisions about condom use...
- Depressive symptoms and momentary affect: the role of social interaction variablesAna Maria Vranceanu
Behavioral Medicine and Hand and Upper Extremity Services, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, 15 Parkman Street, WAC 812, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Depress Anxiety 26:464-70. 2009..This study used ecological momentary assessment to test the associations among depressive symptoms, social experiences and momentary affect in women...
- Medical Mistrust, Social Networks, and Disparities in HIV Care Among BlacksLaura M Bogart; Fiscal Year: 2010..No research to date has used a social network approach to understanding the flow of HIV-related information and misconceptions among people with HIV. ..