Lino R Becerra
Affiliation: Harvard University
- Migraine attacks the Basal GangliaNasim Maleki
Department of Radiology, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Pain 7:71. 2011....
- Excitatory neurotransmitters in brain regions in interictal migraine patientsAndrew Prescot
Brain Imaging Center, McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Mol Pain 5:34. 2009..We hypothesized that there may be differences in levels of excitatory amino acid neurotransmitters and/or their derivatives in migraine group based on their increased sensitivity to pain...
- Diffuse optical tomography of pain and tactile stimulation: activation in cortical sensory and emotional systemsL Becerra
P A I N Group McLean Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA
Neuroimage 41:252-9. 2008..Such ability might have potential applications in a clinical setting in which pain needs to be assessed objectively (e.g., analgesic efficacy, pain responses during surgery)...
- CNS activation maps in awake rats exposed to thermal stimuli to the dorsum of the hindpawL Becerra
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, MA, USA
Neuroimage 54:1355-66. 2011..Our results demonstrate the ability to characterize CNS patterns of activation in response to pain in rodents while avoiding the potential complicating effects of anesthesia...
- Signal valence in the nucleus accumbens to pain onset and offsetLino Becerra
P A I N Group, Brain Imaging Center, McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont MA, United States
Eur J Pain 12:866-9. 2008..The study supports the idea that the NAc fMRI signal may provide a useful marker for the effects of pain and analgesia in healthy volunteers...
- BOLD responses in somatosensory cortices better reflect heat sensation than painEric A Moulton
Center for Pain and the Brain, Department of Psychiatry, Brain Imaging Center, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Massachusetts 02478, USA
J Neurosci 32:6024-31. 2012..These results indicate that heat intensity is encoded by the somatosensory cortices, and that pain evaluation may either arise from multimodal evaluative processes, or is a distributed process...
- CNS activation by noxious heat to the hand or foot: site-dependent delay in sensory but not emotion circuitryL Becerra
Center for Functional Pain Neuroimaging and Therapy Research, Massachusetts General Hospital Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Center, Department of Radiology, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129 2060, USA
J Neurophysiol 91:533-41. 2004....
- Comparison of evoked vs. spontaneous tics in a patient with trigeminal neuralgia (tic doloureux)David Borsook
Pain Analgesia Imaging Neuroscience P A I N Group, Brain Imaging Center, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA 02478 1064, USA
Mol Pain 3:34. 2007..Spontaneous tics showed increased activation in classic aversion circuitry that may contribute to increased levels of anxiety. We believe that this is the first report of functional imaging of brain changes in tic-doloureaux...
- Noxious heat induces fMRI activation in two anatomically distinct clusters within the nucleus accumbensI Aharon
Athinoula Martinos NMR Center for Medical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, USA
Neurosci Lett 392:159-64. 2006..e., shell and core. The results support heterogeneity of function within the NAc and have implications for the understanding the contribution of NAc function to processing of pain and analgesia...
- Preclinical assessment of candidate analgesic drugs: recent advances and future challengesS S Negus
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 115 Mill St, Belmont, MA 02478 9106, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:507-14. 2006..Integration of these complementary approaches may improve the predictive validity of analgesic drug development...
- An fMRI case report of photophobia: activation of the trigeminal nociceptive pathwayE A Moulton
McLean Hospital, P A I N Group, Brain Imaging Center, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA, USA
Pain 145:358-63. 2009..After recovery from photophobia, no significant activations were detected in these areas. This study may contribute to a better understanding of the pathways involved in photophobia in the human condition...
- Human cerebellar responses to brush and heat stimuli in healthy and neuropathic pain subjectsD Borsook
PAIN Group, Brain Imaging Center, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts, USA
Cerebellum 7:252-72. 2008..These results lead us to propose that the cerebellum may modulate the emotional and cognitive experience that distinguishes the perception of pain from the appreciation of innocuous sensory stimulation...
- Neuroimaging revolutionizes therapeutic approaches to chronic painDavid Borsook
PAIN Group, Brain Imaging Center, McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Mol Pain 3:25. 2007....
- fMRI reveals distinct CNS processing during symptomatic and recovered complex regional pain syndrome in childrenA Lebel
P A I N Group, Department of Anesthesia, Children s Hospital Boston, MA, USA
Brain 131:1854-79. 2008..Our results suggest significant changes in CNS circuitry in patients with CRPS...
- Surgically induced neuropathic pain: understanding the perioperative processDavid Borsook
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Boston Childrens Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann Surg 257:403-12. 2013....
- Breaking down the barriers: fMRI applications in pain, analgesia and analgesicsDavid Borsook
P A I N Group, Brain Imaging Center, Department of Psychiatry, McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA, USA
Mol Pain 2:30. 2006..fMRI has already provided novel insights into the neurobiology of pain. These insights should significantly advance therapeutic approaches to chronic pain...
- fMRI measurement of CNS responses to naloxone infusion and subsequent mild noxious thermal stimuli in healthy volunteersM C Borras
Center for Functional Pain Neuroimaging and Therapy Research, Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Departments of Radiology and Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02129, USA
J Neurophysiol 91:2723-33. 2004..Our study is an example of how fMRI can measure subtle changes in brain activation induced by pharmacological agents without cognitive effects...
- Temporal Quantification of CNS Activation (fMRI) to PainLino Becerra; Fiscal Year: 2002..He is committed to study of brain mechanisms underlying somatosensory and emotional brain circuitry and how they contribute to the experience of pain under experimental and clinical conditions in human subjects. ..